• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 2011 Season Start...

Wow AJ ..... VERY NICE !!!
thumbsup22.gif

thanks all...it's been a busy February and doesn't look like it is going to get any less busy for the next 6 weeks...

I will start potting these up to 2.5" square containers Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning...these are all scorpions...

two shots of the inside of the hoophouse...the plants really like it in there...

seeds planted 31 December 2010 for the larger containers

022111b001.jpg

seeds planted 10 January for the smaller continers...

022111b002.jpg

last years plants....all but about 50...

022111c002.jpg

thanks all...it's been a busy February and doesn't look like it is going to get any less busy for the next 6 weeks...

I will start potting these up to 2.5" square containers Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning...these are all scorpions...

two shots of the inside of the hoophouse...the plants really like it in there...

seeds planted 31 December 2010 for the larger containers

022111b001.jpg

seeds planted 10 January for the smaller continers...

022111b002.jpg

Wow AlabamaJack, very very nice ;)

Wow, I can't believe the growth you get after 39 days. You have this down to a science. Better than any nursery I've seen. Beats the hell out of me too! :)

Chris

that's why I use the Botanicare stuff Chris...it is expensive but dang sure worth it IMO...

thanks MZ

It is pretty amazing how quickly AJ's plants grow. What is the reason for using hydro nutes over regular ones AJ?

I'm sure you've answered that before but I don't think I've ever seen the answer.

More evidence of a true professional.

I was wondering if your pepper hobby was going to turn into work after you retired. Looks like it has. Just don't let it turn into a jay oh be AJ. Takes the fun out of it.

It is pretty amazing how quickly AJ's plants grow. What is the reason for using hydro nutes over regular ones AJ?

I'm sure you've answered that before but I don't think I've ever seen the answer.

Its just what I chose to use after reading about all different kinds of fertilizes...I bought some stuff from a hydroponics store back about 4 or 5 years ago and the guy that worked there turned me on to it...and....I was in the market for something else besides that high ass nitrogen containing miricle grow...

More evidence of a true professional.

I was wondering if your pepper hobby was going to turn into work after you retired. Looks like it has. Just don't let it turn into a jay oh be AJ. Takes the fun out of it.

I still love every minute of it Patrick...it is work but I don't realize how tired I am until I sit down at the end of the day...I have already dropped about 20 pounds since season started and will probably drop another 10 or so until I "settle" out...I truly am working harder now than I was when I really worked...putting in 12-14 hour days right now 7 days a week...

What an awesome way to retire. Growing all those amazing chilli peppers. AJ, i saw some of your youtube vids over the weekend and it is very cool. Its obvious that this is a labor of love! One question though, does the texas-heat affect the peppers or do you cover them? Over here in houston/sugar land we get temps over 100 in summer time.

Its just what I chose to use after reading about all different kinds of fertilizes...I bought some stuff from a hydroponics store back about 4 or 5 years ago and the guy that worked there turned me on to it...and....I was in the market for something else besides that high ass nitrogen containing miricle grow...

The MG I have is 18-18-21, what ratio is the Botanicare you use?

I've mainly been using fish emulsion which is 5-1-1 with some MG, and a little bone meal and epsom salt (foliar spray). Do you think that's too much N?

Plants look awesome as usaul AJ! I diggin that hoophouse!,Are you seeing the same growth rates out there as you do in the house?
You may want to leave a six pack out for the poor garbageman thats gotta clean up that giant pile of trees! :lol:

Kevin

What an awesome way to retire. Growing all those amazing chilli peppers. AJ, i saw some of your youtube vids over the weekend and it is very cool. Its obvious that this is a labor of love! One question though, does the texas-heat affect the peppers or do you cover them? Over here in houston/sugar land we get temps over 100 in summer time.

you bet your bippee the heat effects us up here...I totally lose July and August production...I have said before this is a double edged sword...the plants continue to grow vigorously if I can just keep them going until the September cool down...thats why I don't get to harvest any of the superhots until the last week of November/first week of December...I am going to try a couple of different things this year...shade cloth...shade cloth with mist system...anything I can think of to keep the plants cool...even thought about buying one of those portable air conditioners to put in the hoophouse...

The MG I have is 18-18-21, what ratio is the Botanicare you use?

I've mainly been using fish emulsion which is 5-1-1 with some MG, and a little bone meal and epsom salt (foliar spray). Do you think that's too much N?

Yup, the 18-18-21 is the MG tomato food...I use that in my drip fertigation about once every 2-3 weeks during the summer...botanicare is too expensive to feed the plants all year long with...

The bontaincare I use for seedlings up to plantout is 3-2-4 and you got to remember, they get fed every time they get water...and you don't use the 18-18-21 every watering do you?

the MG I was talking about is the 12-4-8 or some nonsense...it is great for flowers and stuff but high nitrogen levels are a magnet for aphids...

Plants look awesome as usaul AJ! I diggin that hoophouse!,Are you seeing the same growth rates out there as you do in the house?
You may want to leave a six pack out for the poor garbageman thats gotta clean up that giant pile of trees! :lol:

Kevin

thanks bro...I am actually getting a lot better growth in the hoophouse than in the growrage...

I know...the poor yard waste recycle guys are gonna hate me...I think I will peek out the window when they come to pick it up in the morning...maybe even take a picture...

very nice - after seeing that i'd be embarrassed to post any pictures of the one's that i planted on 1-29. simply amazing - you're truly a master!

Yup, the 18-18-21 is the MG tomato food...I use that in my drip fertigation about once every 2-3 weeks during the summer...botanicare is too expensive to feed the plants all year long with...

The bontaincare I use for seedlings up to plantout is 3-2-4 and you got to remember, they get fed every time they get water...and you don't use the 18-18-21 every watering do you?

the MG I was talking about is the 12-4-8 or some nonsense...it is great for flowers and stuff but high nitrogen levels are a magnet for aphids...

I see...I've been alternating the MG and fish emulsion every other watering and I water about every 5-6 days. The MG I only use about 1/8 strength, the fish emulsion about 1/4 strength. I didn't give them anything for about 3 weeks at first because the Pro-Mix I use has some nutes in it, but apparently not much because they started showing signs of N deficiency. I started feeding them and they greened up quickly, the purple tinted veins disappeared, the leaves straightened out for the most part, and the growth has sped up. I'm trying to make sure I don't burn them since I'm still a little wet behind the ears, from the looks of things they could probably handle a little more nutes but I want to err on the side of caution.

Back