• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 2011 Season Start...

if you need 50 of the 90 Watt ones be prepared to give someone a wad of cash...300 each, there is a break at 5 for 275 and 10 for 250...I didn't inquire about higher quantities...if you want 50 though I bet you they would cost at least 10K USD

Been watching the weather channel AJ, hope it isn't as bad as they're making it out to be in your parts. Good luck to you.

Been watching the weather channel AJ, hope it isn't as bad as they're making it out to be in your parts. Good luck to you.

Thanks Patrick...got it pretty well under control...it was pretty bad this morning Patrick...not many people ventured out...it started sleeting at about 1 am and by 6 it was snowing a little...not much acumulation, about an inch or two, but it is frozen and a slick sheet of ice...it is 23.5 right now and they are predicting 10 for Wednesday and Thursday mornings...growrage is OK at the present...68.5, but it got down to 61 in there this morning before I turned all the heaters on...grow areas are still 80-86 so the babies are fine...

I know this is not bad for my northern friends, but let me tell you what...this is pretty bad for winter in north Texas...

I'll second that AJ. Left early from work at 4:30AM and it looked like a picture from North Dakota on I-20. Banks of sleet and wind so strong that you couldn't see the road through the flurries.

Great call on holding of on the greenhouse! I'm almost through my wood already. Sure wish there was a way to convert Scovilles into BTUs! Vodka only sustains it so far! Afterall, I still gotta work unlike the retired folk......hahahahaha! (you earned it fair and square, I'm jealous!)

PS down my way it's been a solid sheet of ice since about 6AM....

Good to hear AJ. Time to light a fire and snuggle into a 7 Pod bloody Mary or two. Good luck to you and all of your southern neighbors.

Mate, we down here cannot even begin to Imagine that sort of cold. Our problem here is heat and that is easier to combat, a bit of water and a breeze. Good luck.

Hoophouse structure up and design maturation... ;)

021211a006.jpg

021211a007.jpg

now that I got the structure up and visquene over it, it is time to design the ends and table arrangement...been busy this morning...

end design...

021211a001.jpg

first shot at table arrangement...

021211a002.jpg

had to visualize the hoophouse so I could get an idea of what it was going to look like...

021211a003.jpg

second sthot at table arrangement...this is as drawn in the visualization...

021211a004.jpg

but after thinking...here is the final decision on benches...simplistic and I can use a bunch of material I already have...

021211a005.jpg

goal today is to complete hoop house and start moving plants...

Looking good been wondering where you were, Now I know. Youve been busy.

Yes sir, been quite busy the last couple of days getting this hoop house up...I am slap out of room in the growrage and plants are overdue for transplanting by 2-3 days....

A true engineer at work, it looks cold out there AJ? Nice tight fit on the visquene.

I just can't break the habit lc...has been dang cold but has warmed back up nicely the last couple of days...today was near 70 and they are saying close to 80 within the next week...looks like spring may be here but shhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell mother nature I said so...

Hoophouse complete...

021211b001.jpg

021211b002.jpg

021211b003.jpg

021211b004.jpg

will take some tomorrow when I get the plants transferred...

That looks slick, how did you lace the visquene onto the last rib to stretch it. Are those just clips hold the end caps on. Also what thickness did you use? I know too many questions, just curious. I wish I had a place to put one right now. It was shorts and tee shirts here today

That looks slick, how did you lace the visquene onto the last rib to stretch it. Are those just clips hold the end caps on. Also what thickness did you use? I know too many questions, just curious. I wish I had a place to put one right now. It was shorts and tee shirts here today

Thanks lc....I used 1" black pvc tube cut in 12" pieces and split...that fits over the 3/4" pvc pipe and visquene quit snugly...the clips are just as a precution...it is going to get tested over the next 3-4 days with 40+ wind gust...I used 6 mil...

I remember those days of waterskiing on christmas eve...

Nice work AJ! How did you anchor the frame to the ground?

Oh, and LC, it was shorts and tee shirts here today too...almost 45! (feels like 75 after -15)

Leave it to an engineer. I was wondering what the black was. I take it that is 3/4 sch 20, 40 be pretty stiff.

yes...light schedule PVC for the frame...

Nice work AJ! How did you anchor the frame to the ground?

Oh, and LC, it was shorts and tee shirts here today too...almost 45! (feels like 75 after -15)

each rib of the hoophouse has a 2 foot piece of 1/2" rebar driven into the ground about 12-14"...then a piece of schedule 40 1/2" pvc slid over that then the light schedule 3/4" PVC just slid down on the 1/2" PVC...may be overkill but I wanted to make sure it didn't go anywhere...then the visquene overlap has gravel on it to keep it from flying...

Sounds like it should stay put. Nothing wrong with a little overkill. You might be glad you did. I can't help myself when it comes to overkill.

Time for an update I suppose...but just a short one...

seeds planted 12 January - 39 days

021811a001.jpg

021811a002.jpg

021811a006.jpg

Back