• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AJs 2012 Season - A Pictorial Discussion

I am getting a one day jump on last season...today is my 2012 season start...

The Germinator has been cleaned, I am using new trays for seed starting and Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix as my grow media...

If any of you decide to use Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix, be patient, it takes as much as 24 hours pre-soak to get this light weight mix totally wet...I have said it before and I will say it again...this is the cleanest seed starting mix I have ever used....clean and light weight means better root growth IMO..

12-30-11A001.jpg

All circuits and systems are a go on the germinator...am stabilizing the temperature for the next 24 hours...as you can see, the upper box is about 93F and the lower box is 85F...I have to vent the top to let both chambers reach the same temperature...

12-30-11A002.jpg

12-30-11A004.jpg
12-30-11A005.jpg

something tells me this is going to be another hot summer....close to record heat again...so the season will go as mother wants it to...I am learning each year how to change my grow techniques and am adapting to North Texas...

hope you folks enjoy this thread...if anyone has any questions or comments, they are welcome...

Thought I posted on here yesterday??? Oh well, fantastic pods AJ! Doesn't look like my scorps are going to tail much, but I think I got some stock that originated at the AJ plantation off a seed train labeled "Super Scorp." Saving them for next season. Hopefully I can get some almost AJ worthy picture perfect pods next season!

Keep up the great grow my friend!
Shane

I have b een thinking about it a bunch and think the Yellow Scorpions are on their F2 generation...I am thinking the plant came from a seed that was an F1...don't ask me what the other parent was...they are truly superhot though IMO....that would definitely explain the pod shape/texture differences between the 22 plants I have growing....it's cool if they are...I like the pod shape and will keep the best pods for next years seed...if this is the F2 generation, I should start seeing some stabalization this next year...

For the f1 pod to be yellow, I would think that the mother and father would have to have been yellow, or at least no red pod parent since red is dominant and only dominant traits should appear in f1s
But if they are f2's, chances are the plants/pods would all be very different, even pod color
Whatever they are, they do look great :)

Nice looking pods Ronnie.............it just seemed like you started your seeds not long ago..................lol
That good ole Texas sun........and the experience from the Master Pepper Gardener........shows in the results..........happy harvest (s)

Greg

Loving those yellow scorpions AJ ... they look amazing

TY Trippa...I tried a little slice from the stem end of one yesterday and all I can say is wow...

Thought I posted on here yesterday??? Oh well, fantastic pods AJ! Doesn't look like my scorps are going to tail much, but I think I got some stock that originated at the AJ plantation off a seed train labeled "Super Scorp." Saving them for next season. Hopefully I can get some almost AJ worthy picture perfect pods next season!

Keep up the great grow my friend!
Shane

Thanks Shane...as has been said in other threads and this one, the scorpions have many many different pod shapes/textures including what I grow...I have been interested in the "why" some scorpions grow tails and others don't...I know the annular ring of the flower has something to do with it but am not sure that is all there is to it...be patient, keep your best pods and grow them out over several years...that's about the best advice I can give you...

For the f1 pod to be yellow, I would think that the mother and father would have to have been yellow, or at least no red pod parent since red is dominant and only dominant traits should appear in f1s
But if they are f2's, chances are the plants/pods would all be very different, even pod color
Whatever they are, they do look great :)

thanks P...I had not thought about red being the dominate color in chili's...I didn't have any yellow scorpions last year the best I can remember but then again, my memory is not what it used to be...I will continue to selectively grow plants for a few generations (Lord willing) and see if they stabilize or continue to produce random pods/textures

Good looking pods alright. Real test is how they :P ;) perform in a Bloody Mary. Have you collected any data on them?

hmmmmmmmmmmm....I will have to wait a bit until I get enough to make some puree and I promise I will post the flavor when I do....I still believe that the 7 Pots make the best bloody mary...

Nice looking pods Ronnie.............it just seemed like you started your seeds not long ago..................lol
That good ole Texas sun........and the experience from the Master Pepper Gardener........shows in the results..........happy harvest (s)

Greg

thanks Greg...I was very fortunate this year not to get a late freeze and got the plants in their final resting place mid March so if you think about it, almost three months have passed since plantout for me...summer is coming on strong here and I expect to get reduced production (if any) until the September cool down then get a few real late season harvests

and I can't help it, but whenever someone refers to me as a Master Pepper Gardener, I think about how much I mess up during the year..I don't think I qualify as a master and am still a novice but I continue to try and improve "my strains" from year to year...I think the biggest thing this year is the rabbit poo I used to referbish my soil with this year and will definitely use rabbit poo for all future grows...my yellow scorpions are well over 5' tall now and with 5 months grow left in my season I am very curious to see how big these plants will be in November...here is a shot of the yellow scorpions taken a few minutes ago...it is so humid and warm this morning the lens on the camera kept on fogging up....78 degrees and about 85% humidity...high today supposed to be 97 with heat index of 105....yup...gonna be a hot one and its only 11 June...for my fellow north Texans on the forum...prepare yourselves for an extremely hot summer...my prediction is at least as hot as last year and maybe a little hotter...

06-11-12a001.jpg

AJ, you must be doing something right to have 5 foot tall scorps! Mine are only 3 feet tall. Are those scorps in standard 5 gallon pots or in ground?

All looking very good Ronnie! It sure is amazing how the pods variation can be different even on the same plant at the same node ;) All your stuff looks GREAT boss :) Keep up the good work, and dont forget, that hotel room is ON ME if you ever want to get down to Florida for a few days :)

thanks Dale...it is going to be a while before I am in your neck of the woods...I did my time in south Florida and the only reason I would go back is to visit my cousin over on the east coast for some Dolphin/Sail Fish fishing..

PJ...these plants are in standard 5 gallon nursery containers sitting on the ground...and I doubt these are the same as you grow...I have been growing these for 5 years since I got my original strain from Trinidad....well, the standard red scorpions anyway...hybrid vigor may be another reason they are so big and healthy...I don't know what these are crossed with as I said...and who knows...they may be a genetic mutation that has happened to my original scorpion strain...my first year trinidad varieties always grow to at least 6'...but with that said, my second year and third year plants don't get nearly this tall because I do an extreme "haircut" at the end of the season the first of December

Can anyone identify the pod muncher in post #405? Looks like a mean pepper grower/eater raised on rabbit poo! :rofl: :D

As usual AJ, great stuff! :clap:

Unreal AJ. Must be some good rabbit poo if that what you are putting those monsters down too! I have a sneaking suspicion is has a lot to do with the Master Gardener as well?? :hell: nice work and keep these updates rolling, its always good to see monster plants from the other side of the world

Rabbit manure is by far one of the best fertilizers. I used it in 2006 and never grew plants that nice again! The plants were monsters compared to previous and future years. I don't have access to it anymore unfortunately. I also had a fair amount of health issues after I used it. I have no idea if there is a connection of any sort, but that alone made me nervous. I would only get it from a reputable source and properly collected/processed. `

Rabbit manure is by far one of the best fertilizers. I used it in 2006 and never grew plants that nice again! The plants were monsters compared to previous and future years. I don't have access to it anymore unfortunately. I also had a fair amount of health issues after I used it. I have no idea if there is a connection of any sort, but that alone made me nervous. I would only get it from a reputable source and properly collected/processed. `

Where was it sourced from?? Maybe you picked up Myxomatosis or CaliciVirus :confused: ;)

I will start transplanting/moving plants out in late march, but be prepared to move them back in or cover them in case of a heavy frost/freeze...I take my time and usually get about 25 a day transplanted, but moving that many 5 gallon containers sure is a PIA....usually once I get them in place and the fertigation run to them, they ARE where they are...if you know what I mean...

PIA is my first name and my mother said she named me Pia cuz I am a Pain in the ASS!!!!! ahahaaaa

Can anyone identify the pod muncher in post #405? Looks like a mean pepper grower/eater raised on rabbit poo! :rofl: :D

As usual AJ, great stuff! :clap:

that pod muncher doesn't bother the peppers as much as he bothers the tomato's...

Awesome plants AJ!!!. You're far too modest. :)

I too believe this summer will set some heat records. This Spring has already set some here.

SS, I just can't help it when I see others grows...but all it does is make me want to get better...thanks man...

Unreal AJ. Must be some good rabbit poo if that what you are putting those monsters down too! I have a sneaking suspicion is has a lot to do with the Master Gardener as well?? :hell: nice work and keep these updates rolling, its always good to see monster plants from the other side of the world

same here Trippa...I love it in our winter when I can see you "down under" growers progress thru the season...

I found out how good rabbit manure was last year when I gave Ike's Vet a Foodarama Scotch Bonnet plant...he planted in on the south side of the building in a flower bed and used only rabbit poo as he calls it for fertilize...after seeing his success with this plant, I decided I would use it this year...our Vet and his children raises a bunch of rabbits so the fertilize is easy to come by...it may be expensive at $10 dollars a bag (bags are about 60 lbs each) but he is teaching his children the best way to get something is to work for it and the kids get all the income from the "rabbit poo business"...I definitely will use it until I can't get it from him any more...here is a picture of his scotch bonnet plant taken on 13 November last year...

11-13-11001.jpg

Wow, that's the equivalent of a good sized shrub! Not sure even rabbit poo could get a pepper plant to that size where I live, but it'd sure be worth a try!

AJ, could you refresh my memory as to what type of twine you are using on your weave? I've sifted through several pages of your glog, but can't find the right one. Thanks! My cheapo twine is stretching too much. Should have splurged on some sturdier stuff like you use!

AJ, could you refresh my memory as to what type of twine you are using on your weave? I've sifted through several pages of your glog, but can't find the right one. Thanks! My cheapo twine is stretching too much. Should have splurged on some sturdier stuff like you use!

I use the cheapest stuff I can get at home depot...the biggest thing is the diameter of the twine as the plants increase in size...I used this ( http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202079597/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=masons+string&storeId=10051 ) to begin with for the first three rows from the bottom then switched to this for the next few.... http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202048189/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=rope&storeId=10051

@ synclinorium....rabbits are trainable? :lol:

the first link is polyporpolene/nylon and the second one is a polypropolene with a "mixed synthetic core"...they both stretch but I pull them pretty dang tight...natural fiber has a tendency to "give" under stress....kinda like me when the wife is pissed... :)

Back