• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AJs 2012 Season - A Pictorial Discussion

I am getting a one day jump on last season...today is my 2012 season start...

The Germinator has been cleaned, I am using new trays for seed starting and Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix as my grow media...

If any of you decide to use Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix, be patient, it takes as much as 24 hours pre-soak to get this light weight mix totally wet...I have said it before and I will say it again...this is the cleanest seed starting mix I have ever used....clean and light weight means better root growth IMO..

12-30-11A001.jpg

All circuits and systems are a go on the germinator...am stabilizing the temperature for the next 24 hours...as you can see, the upper box is about 93F and the lower box is 85F...I have to vent the top to let both chambers reach the same temperature...

12-30-11A002.jpg

12-30-11A004.jpg
12-30-11A005.jpg

something tells me this is going to be another hot summer....close to record heat again...so the season will go as mother wants it to...I am learning each year how to change my grow techniques and am adapting to North Texas...

hope you folks enjoy this thread...if anyone has any questions or comments, they are welcome...

That's a beautiful thing! Are the small ones in the center the 7 yellow crosses from above? If so how's their flavor? Looks to be very productive! Love the puppy pics too...great looking dog.

the ones on the left are supposed to be 7 pot phillipervs...and that may be the shape his 7s are but not what I am used to as far as shape goes...they are still super hot and have the 7 taste...the smaller ones on the right are what are supposed to be yellow 7s....hard to tell but there are about 5 different pepper shapes in that tray...

Ha, nice one! Those are some elongated pods there...

long for sure and not the "regular" shape of a 7 pot....

Great looking harvest you got there Ronnie! Looks like your 99 degree days aren't settin you back too far. :)

thanks...the heat is just now starting to kick in...I have harvested more pods before the heat kicks in this year than ever before...of course, I did start planting out the second week of March....

Hey AJ...do you discuss pruning somewhere...and I missed it?

not specifically I suppose...only for the overwinters and I give them an extreme haircut when I bring them in...

I keep feeling as if I should prune beyond damaged leaves, or random chutes under the canopy...but I've been good about just leaving them alone...and they're doing fine...guess I should continue doing very little...LOL

Quite a difference in the before and after shots of your dog AJ. Knew you had a big heart.

Your plants are looking like they're supposed to, thank you. ;) The heat has got a couple of mine popping big time. Kinda excited about that.

Take care buddy.

Update time....haven't posted pictures in about 10 days or so...

Yellow Scorpions still producing...

YellowScorpion207-12-12.jpg

Foodarama Scotch Bonnet....producing but rats are getting the pods quicker than I am...

FoodaramaScotchBonnet07-12-12.jpg

7 Pot close, Yellow 7s at the far end...

07-12-12a018.jpg

Third Year Scorpion (25 gallon container)

07-12-12a008.jpg

Second year Wild Tepin (25 gallon container)

07-12-12a010.jpg

These are all different Indian types...naga morich, bhut jolokia, purple bhut, bih jolokia, dorset naga....and I didn't mark any of the containers... :roifl: they have 4 or 5 plants in each 25 gallon container...

07-12-12a013.jpg

second year scorpions...these stayed in their 5 gallon containers from last year until about 10 days ago, now they are bustin' loose...

07-12-12a007.jpg

various trinidadians...

07-12-12a017.jpg

more trinidadians...

07-12-12a016.jpg

Looking fantastic. I had a texas chiltepin 1/64 that size and by September I was tired of it. You might need one of those almond harvesters for that thing.

I've had it with this nonsense. I'm coming over!

come on down...

Looking fantastic. I had a texas chiltepin 1/64 that size and by September I was tired of it. You might need one of those almond harvesters for that thing.

the 25 gallon containers are really working...

You know what you are doing, the heat is killing my plants.

Very nice

thank you...what I have started doing right or wrong is giving the plants small amounts (a little over a pint) at 10am, 1:30pm, and 5pm for one circuit and 11am, 2:30pm, and 6pm for the other one...it seems the plants are doing well with the soil being damp....I am trying to keep the soil at a constant moisture level...not dry, not wet but in between....the hotter it is, the more water I have to give them but I never have to give them more than 1/2 gallon/day...I fertilize every two weeks, but it takes several days for the fertilize in the ez flow jug to be used...one big pack of MG tomato food in the ez-flow 3 gallon container makes a little over 600 gallons of feed the way I slow feed them so if I use 40 gallons per watering that is 15 waterings or 5 days...so say they get fed a week then get water a week....

Update time....haven't posted pictures in about 10 days or so...

Yellow Scorpions still producing...

YellowScorpion207-12-12.jpg

Foodarama Scotch Bonnet....producing but rats are getting the pods quicker than I am...

FoodaramaScotchBonnet07-12-12.jpg

7 Pot close, Yellow 7s at the far end...

07-12-12a018.jpg

Third Year Scorpion (25 gallon container)

07-12-12a008.jpg

Second year Wild Tepin (25 gallon container)

07-12-12a010.jpg

These are all different Indian types...naga morich, bhut jolokia, purple bhut, bih jolokia, dorset naga....and I didn't mark any of the containers... :roifl: they have 4 or 5 plants in each 25 gallon container...

07-12-12a013.jpg

second year scorpions...these stayed in their 5 gallon containers from last year until about 10 days ago, now they are bustin' loose...

07-12-12a007.jpg

various trinidadians...

07-12-12a017.jpg

more trinidadians...

07-12-12a017.jpg

Two Words. Uniformed productivity.

Alright...I'll PM you to give you a heads up...maybe tomorrow...maybe next week...not sure. I'll come bearing gifts.

Sat would work a lot better for me if that's OK...

Awesome growth! Some of your pods probably have the potential for some crazy crosses.

If I keep seeds and they grow out to be something I didn't expect, I just process the pods and don't save the seeds...I have been able to keep a pretty decent strain of Scorpions going and hopefully will eventually get seeds that produce all "stingered" pods....

Two Words. Uniformed productivity.

thank you man...

Wow amazing AJ I am looking to use those large containers you used for the tepins and indian types I was wondering how many drainage holes did you puncture at the bottom and if you made any on the lower sides.
Thanks

Wow amazing AJ I am looking to use those large containers you used for the tepins and indian types I was wondering how many drainage holes did you puncture at the bottom and if you made any on the lower sides.
Thanks

I think there are 10 or 11 1" inch holes drilled in the bottom of each one....none on the sides...

o.k.. i quit,lol.

:rofl:

Back