• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

WalkGood said:
Great review Annie … love how you painted a picture in my mind with your descriptive comparison to a ripe cantaloupe crossed with ripe peach or mango and tropical to boot. Heck I wanted to cut down my varieties and you aren’t helping muchacha ;)

Yes, Ramon, my idea was to skinny-down grow list as well. The best laid plans . . . I gotta have this BOC! But that peach bhut and JPGScorp have a place. As do white bhuts. As do Madballz and Choc Bhuts and . . . decisions. lol BOC really is great!

Devv said:
Nice review Annie!
Really glad it was a "nice" pepper!

I forgot to comment on your hot sauce....simply looks wonderful! Yet another recipe for me to try :party:

Have a great weekend!

Yep, BOC "nice," alright, Scotty! Whew.

That sauce is actually getting better more I sample it. Hint though: want to use fresh thyme next time do it. You have great one too, hon!

GA Growhead said:
The BOCs don't disappoint! The Jay's ghost scorps, both colors, haven't been as hot as some earlier ones. The first set where covered entirely in placenta on the inside. The last couple i have eaten or deseeded and dried don't have much placenta. The peach do taste like peach bhuts to me too. They have been a hair hotter than the peach bhuts on these lower side Jay's, but not by much.
The jellybean habs never disappoint either! Killer taste and heat. Love then!
Awesome BOC review. I think even the heat on them has gone down a bit. It has a great taste for sure and is a great producer on top of that!
Fall pod just not as hot as those summer one. That time of year already.

Ah, grower-mon! Tell ya what: heat on that BOC was decent! And taste, outta world good!! True on jbean habs and work well in white sauce. I see a place for a pepper that's not melt face, like PB or JPGS; taste is more distinctly floral on JPGS than just PBhut. Just glad you got a stable one! And the rain might not have hurt (poor maters, lol) the peppers--they only appear not to be mangled like tomatoes--but rain had to have washed nutes faster; temps going back up next week. Remember, John Keats writes, "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness"--sorry man, just love "Ode to Autumn" and while going for a poetic effect, he was spot-on with "mellow." ;) Thank you so much, Jay: gonna taste test some more tomorrow--the endorphin rush puts pain from the "truck-go-boom" shoulder at more ease for a while :party:

Bodeen said:
Loved the review.  Gives me something else to ponder for next season!!!

Ponder this hard, Bodeen because I tell ya man, is a wonderful pepper! Delicious and if this is more mild now? . . . geez. "Just do it." Some company should use that as advertizing phrase.

Geez Annie,
   First Matt, and now you with the BOC review... I'm glad I got some seeds from the source to grow next year. Growing space is limited, so I'll plant it in a slot where I culled one this year.

annie57 said:
Yes, Ramon, my idea was to skinny-down grow list as well. The best laid plans . . . I gotta have this BOC! But that peach bhut and JPGScorp have a place. As do white bhuts. As do Madballz and Choc Bhuts and . . . decisions. lol BOC really is great!
I am continuing to sow seeds increasing my variety but before years end I will pair down to a few varieties. I’m not sure which girls will make the final cut but I do know that JA Hab, JA MoA, White Bhut and ????

Currently I’m in the process of gifting my jals and a few other gals. I’d be gifting the Thai Hots too but I need to finish my pod collection of them. They’re so small I only have a 1/3 of a ziplock baggie filled and I’ve been toying with an idea to make a Thai sweat & sour sauce for my wife. But once that’s finished my sister already called dibs.

Hope you identify the ones most important to you as I’m having serious trouble outside the ones mentioned … I want dem all and it’s hard for me to see a girl go and be neglected by her new parents ….

Have a great day muchacha

Awesome Annie! I can relate with the pain. If my back is killing me, there is a period of relief after consuming something super hot. After it's all said and done, the pain is back. Masking the pain or temporarily distracting the senses? Either way, i would have never guessed that would have done that. I am able to sit through lunch and dinner as long as i got me a pepper.
And another positive, on Friday i woke up with congestion, stuffy nose, with that almost choking sinus drainage. Then on top of that, i left the peppers i was going to take to work at home. Not a good start to my Friday. Luckily my buddy at work that i gifted some plants to, and turn chilihead, had brought a red douglah in. Suffered till lunch, felling ill. Then ate half that douglah at lunch. The sinus opened up! I could breathe again. Started feeling better... and by the time i left work, I felt almost 100%. Woke up yesteday perfectly fine. Something a doctor would have never prescribed. :D
Have you ever had a bahamian goat pepper? It's the closest tasting pepper to the BOC i have tasted. Much more of a mellow-er taste, but in the same category. Decent hab heat. Only had one come up this year, but going for more next season. One of my favorites this year.
Warmer weather? I will take it. Wishing i would have set up the driplines now that crazy rain has stopped. Wouldn't have used them at all till now. Had to water part of the garden yesterday. Need to fertilize today too. And the wife already took most of yesterday's pull to the flea market, so gotta head there now. :)
Enjoy the other peppers!
The (?) green mysteries. I have let some go even longer and they look bronze/dark mustard green. Pull them inside and they just look green like the others. Inside lighting makes them look different. They are not the same color green before ripening, but still a confusing one. Wondering if they got 7 evergreen genes coming from Judy's seeds. They were either 7 brown, trin scorp sweets, trin cherries, or red douglahs. I planted those four from her late in the season and they got mixed up, all reviling themselves except for that one's mother plant. I have two F2s, one looking like last season mother (turns red and pendant pods) and that one. The trin scorp sweets grow standing pods like this mystery, so think it's a cross of that, but who knows.
Enjoy the peppers and temporary pain relief too! ;)

GA Growhead said:
Awesome Annie! I can relate with the pain. If my back is killing me, there is a period of relief after consuming something super hot. After it's all said and done, the pain is back. Masking the pain or temporarily distracting the senses? Either way, i would have never guessed that would have done that. I am able to sit through lunch and dinner as long as i got me a pepper.

And another positive, on Friday i woke up with congestion, stuffy nose, with that almost choking sinus drainage. Then on top of that, i left the peppers i was going to take to work at home. Not a good start to my Friday. Luckily my buddy at work that i gifted some plants to, and turn chilihead, had brought a red douglah in. Suffered till lunch, felling ill. Then ate half that douglah at lunch. The sinus opened up! I could breathe again. Started feeling better... and by the time i left work, I felt almost 100%. Woke up yesteday perfectly fine. Something a doctor would have never prescribed. :D
Have you ever had a bahamian goat pepper? It's the closest tasting pepper to the BOC i have tasted. Much more of a mellow-er taste, but in the same category. Decent hab heat. Only had one come up this year, but going for more next season.
Enjoy the peppers and temporary pain relief too! ;)

The endorphin rush does mask pain but have noticed as season goes on tolerance increases as length of endorphin relief decreases.

Yep: too bad can't grow year 'round for winter congestion relief. Of course, docs won't tell that!

I've not had a Bahamian Goat but see that RFC has the plant and hopefully seeds for sale later. Am scaling hab family back to JA Hab--totally a keeper--Ramon/Walkgood seed and maybe something else with excellent taste--not tried white hab or mustard hab yet that you sent yet but planning on it today. Burnt out on Harold St. Bart's. And the big flavor tout or maybe the JA Hab has spoiled me. And those green habs are just weird, man. Gonna try one but totally weird. :party: I like "weird." Have you had Jamie's 7 Pod Brown x Naga. It's warm. Have fun at market! Thanks, hon! Also, where do you get best seeds if you buy them? I go with Judy, some RFC, Trade Winds surprised me this year, Beth, and lots of seeds were gifted! Best kind!

Annie, I might have some Bahamian Goat seed left if you want me to check I can send your way muchacha. While a teen I use to eat loads of them in the Bahamas but I haven't had them for many a year other than in conch salad at a local pub and I'm not sure if they even use a good variety, guess I should ask next time I'm there. Muchacha we are enabling each other ... note to WalkGood myself; don’t plant mas, lol.

Edit: I just checked and I have 20, can send you half if you want let me know ...

WalkGood said:
I am continuing to sow seeds increasing my variety but before years end I will pair down to a few varieties. I’m not sure which girls will make the final cut but I do know that JA Hab, JA MoA, White Bhut and ????

Currently I’m in the process of gifting my jals and a few other gals. I’d be gifting the Thai Hots too but I need to finish my pod collection of them. They’re so small I only have a 1/3 of a ziplock baggie filled and I’ve been toying with an idea to make a Thai sweat & sour sauce for my wife. But once that’s finished my sister already called dibs.

Hope you identify the ones most important to you as I’m having serious trouble outside the ones mentioned … I want dem all and it’s hard for me to see a girl go and be neglected by her new parents ….

Have a great day muchacha

My keepers so far are MoA's, JA Habs, and I don't know: any form of a nice Caribbean pepper or bhut/naga cross or direct that doesn't go for back of throat. Like the BOC, a LOT. Yellow 7, probably a keeper too in 7 family.

Like you, I would love to grow them all but I have other duties, I have some injuries; all that starts to weigh in to decisions. I like the BOC! A lot. But also like white, yellow, choc bhut too. I like Madballz as it's a cross between Choc Bhut and Yellow 7. About anything with a bhut cross, I'd probably like. Now, if I had your growing season, this would be easier (and harder if wanting to scale down, because with your weather, you can grow anything) but dang, messing with lights, feeding and watering indoors when cold outside? Makes it . . . different. I know what I will not grow next year, but what to grow is a PIA for me as well at this point. I can send you some BOC seeds once they're dry and will PM you on something. K?

WalkGood said:
Annie, I might have some Bahamian Goat seed left if you want me to check I can send your way muchacha. While a teen I use to eat loads of them in the Bahamas but I haven't had them for many a year other than in conch salad at a local pub and I'm not sure if they even use a good variety, guess I should ask next time I'm there. Muchacha we are enabling each other ... note to WalkGood myself; don’t plant mas, lol.

Edit: I just checked and I have 20, can send you half if you want let me know ...

I like! "How come you're not growing them . . . what's wrong with them? Don't they taste good?" See, I used to do lots of drugs and that's how we enabled one another :rofl:  "Okay, mon; you grow 10 out and I'll grow 10 out." See? I'm so not helping either you or me!  :rofl:Edit: that should be, "neither you nor I." I must recall I teach dis sheeit but I don't give a rat's azz about grammar as long as content is good! "Bad proff!" says admin.

That is the blessing and the curse of having all the room I could ever need to grow.  I can grow a lot of different peppers, but then I end up with peppers I don't care for or way more than I need.  

I seem to start off with a small list, but then different peppers catch my eye and its away I go.  I think the only new peppers this year will be non reds!!!!

annie57 said:
My keepers so far are MoA's, JA Habs, and I don't know: any form of a nice Caribbean pepper or bhut/naga cross or direct that doesn't go for back of throat. Like the BOC, a LOT. Yellow 7, probably a keeper too in 7 family.

I have these in mind as keepers but have others starting too. JA Hab (is and will always be a staple at our casa), MoA, Ft. Laud. Farmers Market Scotch Bonnet (I will save you some seed from the ones I grow, these are the perfect bonnets that Steve found) and White Bhut (2nd gen from the plant I started from Greg seed), the rest depends on how we enjoy the taste. Also starting White 7 pot (only one has germinated, meatfreak), White Fatalii (0 germ so far, meatfreak), Bahamian Goat (0 germ so far, meatfreak),  Aji Pineapple (0 germ so far, meatfreak),  Peach Bhut (your seed and lots has popped \o/), Naga King (0 germ so far, Lournes), and well endowed Reaper (from you know who, lol, Scott). Mas that will start in the next wave: Goatsweed (Shane) and most likely many others ... dang I hope all the benificials stay around as it's easy to get wiped out here ...

annie57 said:
Like you, I would love to grow them all but I have other duties, I have some injuries; all that starts to weigh in to decisions. I like the BOC! A lot. But also like white, yellow, choc bhut too. I like Madballz as it's a cross between Choc Bhut and Yellow 7. About anything with a bhut cross, I'd probably like. Now, if I had your growing season, this would be easier (and harder if wanting to scale down, because with your weather, you can grow anything) but dang, messing with lights, feeding and watering indoors when cold outside? Makes it . . . different. I know what I will not grow next year, but what to grow is a PIA for me as well at this point. I can send you some BOC seeds once they're dry and will PM you on something. K? …

Even in our weather hear they require a lot of TLC and a keen eye or the bad guys will rape your plants. Heck I woke today to a perfect Jal (1 of 4) that a raccoon or some animal came by last night, broke the main stalk to get at 2 pods, ate half of them and left my pretty green girl for dead :(

On top of it all I’ve gone back to working full time and den some so I’ll have a lot less time here and in the garden :/

Have a great day muchacha ^_^

WalkGood said:

I have these in mind as keepers but have others starting too. JA Hab (is and will always be a staple at our casa), MoA, Ft. Laud. Farmers Market Scotch Bonnet (I will save you some seed from the ones I grow, these are the perfect bonnets that Steve found) and White Bhut (2nd gen from the plant I started from Greg seed), the rest depends on how we enjoy the taste. Also starting White 7 pot (only one has germinated, meatfreak), White Fatalii (0 germ so far, meatfreak), Bahamian Goat (0 germ so far, meatfreak),  Aji Pineapple (0 germ so far, meatfreak),  Peach Bhut (your seed and lots has popped \o/), Naga King (0 germ so far, Lournes), and well endowed Reaper (from you know who, lol, Scott). Mas that will start in the next wave: Goatsweed (Shane) and most likely many others ... dang I hope all the benificials stay around as it's easy to get wiped out here ...

Even in our weather hear they require a lot of TLC and a keen eye or the bad guys will rape your plants. Heck I woke today to a perfect Jal (1 of 4) that a raccoon or some animal came by last night, broke the main stalk to get at 2 pods, ate half of them and left my pretty green girl for dead :(

On top of it all I’ve gone back to working full time and den some so I’ll have a lot less time here and in the garden :/

Have a great day muchacha ^_^

Am sorry about the evil--probably was--raccoon as Florida cities/towns overrun with them. Friend of mine in Placida was out late, not long ago, grilling and was doing the veggies last at dark o'clock. Said raccoon walked up, jumped on table, hissed at him and took off with bell peppers and such. Heck, he hates raccoons worse than alligators that get hungry, come out of canals. Am sorry. And yes: that weather--Austin's hot, humid and damned spider mites??--in non-rain season, usually LONG ones--whew! But without all the lights and etc. it would be harder for me if I could grow pretty much year round, vis a vis making decisions but as you said, work, harvesting and as Bodeen said, neglecting some, which I have, guilty as . . . damn. There are other things like "Oh, I need oil changed in car" etc. beyond the obvious stuff. Speaking of: need to go check poblanos and bells and non-hots! Have a great one, querido!

I haven't had coon issues with peppers, but they steal Cantaloupe. LB picks 'em when they get the nice ripe smell. "Hmmm I'm going to pick these tomorrow", every time they're gone in the morning.

Yellows will definitely be on my list for next year, just love the flavor!

Devv said:
I haven't had coon issues with peppers, but they steal Cantaloupe. LB picks 'em when they get the nice ripe smell. "Hmmm I'm going to pick these tomorrow", every time they're gone in the morning.

Yellows will definitely be on my list for next year, just love the flavor!

Coons will carry off pantries and refrigerators in some areas. Too many of "some" folks around here hunt and eat them, so: we don't have problems, lol.

Here's my list, Scott, of peppers for next year, as of now, and have scaled back:

Carolina Reaper—Scott--whichever one Scotty says is least bitter
Bubblegum 7—Shane
Yellow Primo--Jamie
Madballz—Jamie
Bhut Orange Copenhagen—Jason
Yellow 7's—my seed, saved
Yellow Brainstrain—my seed, saved
Yellow bhut—Judy—seed saved
White bhut—Judy and Ramon seed saved
Chocolate bhut—to order
Peach bhut—Judy, seed saved
Black Naga—seed from JJJesse
King Naga—to order
JA Habs—Ramon seed saved
MoA's—Ramon
Choc Habs: Elongated (Shane), regular, Black Cayman —my seed
Jamaican choc hab: Jason
Yellow Fatalii—my seed
Bahamian goat—to order
Aji Limon--Jamie--seed saved/my seed from my 2013 plants from his 2012 seed, lol--anybody done these hanging baskets?
Yellow Bouquet--Kevin/Wayright seed saved
Aji Pineapple--to order
Tabasco--my seed saved

Jals—cracked and giant, my seed.
Cayenne—thick and slim, my seed
Serrano Tampequino—my seed
Aconcagua—to order seed as never going to turn red this year
Hybrid Bells and etc. seeds:
Poblano(San Martin), Gypsy, Big Bertha, Sweet Banana, Red Hots, Mexibell, Anaheim--to order.

I concur, nice list. Thinking about looking for Bahamian goat, and King Naga myself. I like the reviews peeps have given on these two.

Annie, the Reapers and bitterness:

I feel they are way better tasting than a Red Bhut. Both taste similar with the Funky Reaper having a bit more flavor. The True Reaper is just hotter, but not by that much. Definitely want to taste these as slivers before going any further.

A friend at work made some hot sauce with 2 Funky's and 24 oz. of whole maters with garlic and carrot, pretty dang hot stuff. Got my technician grabbing a bottle of water and whining...LOL.

Don't worry pods will come your way as I get them ;)

Have a great week!

romy6 said:
 I got ya covered on the choc bhuts girlfriend. 

And really appreciate the amazing box of pods today. They are all perfect :party:  :party:  :party:

Oooh, you have choc bhut seed Jamie?? AND Madballz? :dance: Seed that you and Ramon send always germs, lives well, prospers. Taste that little rusty-red one and see if you recognize it: your seed ;) . Glad they got to ya, messed up and was gonna send Ramon two boxes, duh.

Orange Thai are ripening to extent do Kevin right. Our temps are doing great, upper 80's with upper 60's at night. Gonna have to give it another week to load him up!

Hope you enjoy, sweet Jamie!

Devv said:
I concur, nice list. Thinking about looking for Bahamian goat, and King Naga myself. I like the reviews peeps have given on these two.

Annie, the Reapers and bitterness:

I feel they are way better tasting than a Red Bhut. Both taste similar with the Funky Reaper having a bit more flavor. The True Reaper is just hotter, but not by that much. Definitely want to taste these as slivers before going any further.

A friend at work made some hot sauce with 2 Funky's and 24 oz. of whole maters with garlic and carrot, pretty dang hot stuff. Got my technician grabbing a bottle of water and whining...LOL.

Don't worry pods will come your way as I get them ;)

Have a great week!

Thanks, Scotty!

Y'all need to stock up on some milk at work if you're gonna keep folks addicted :P 2? Dang! Cool!

Impressive "scaled back" List...lemme know if you need anything else! The Jay's Peach are a good one...Charapitas...Pequins...Birgits???!!!! Say the word sista! Just don't ask me to hit you with a car or loan you my wheelbarrow...you got some bad luck with those things!

stc3248 said:
Impressive "scaled back" List...lemme know if you need anything else! The Jay's Peach are a good one...Charapitas...Pequins...Birgits???!!!! Say the word sista! Just don't ask me to hit you with a car or loan you my wheelbarrow...you got some bad luck with those things!

Oh Lawd, what would I do without your ability to make me laugh even when I'm in pain--this blasted shoulder, elbow, and neck "truck result" keeping me awake; just took another anti-inflam. . . you give good memory, hon! The wheelbarrow catastrophe was back last December? Impressive! Your Latino cultural awareness food made me drool; while this NSAID is destroying appetite, that made me so hungry. So. Whimper. :mope: Eh, am tough (riiiiiiight) but the bruises are finally fading a tad to nice yellow tint to go with lighter purple. Look like some faded LSU jersey.

Drying seeds from Jay's Peach GS that Jason sent. All sound good, bruddamon! Thanks so much for offer! I'll ponder the "scaled back" that you've offered when I've possibly slept. :shocked: Goodnight!

After being in a neurosurgeon's electro-probe chamber for couple hours yesterday morning, I discovered "it" hurt worse when I was on I-40, headed home. I had to get through a rest of morning and however long day, conducting classes online, until medically cleared for "being there." Thus, Chauncey, or "By Chance, the Gardener" took one White Devil's Tongue pepper for pain since I had been "shot" at least near Biltmore House. (Great and final Peter Sellers' film, Being There.) 

White Devil's Tongue via Jason (and my refrigerator):

AnnsGlogDevilsTongueWhite9-18_zps793f2fba.jpg

Feel/texture: solid, smooth but "some give" in body, when sent; not too bad when refrigerated couple days.
Smell: when cut, smells sweet. Something "softly" sweet, like a lemon cuke. (One might note the "accelerator hung on lemon cuke" in this review.)
Initial taste: I thought it was a white bhut from the initial taste but something was off that thought, as didn't smell like a bhut.
First bite: tasted like a lemon cucumber that somebody had hit with the tiniest dab of agave. Or, lemon cucumber slice with the nectar of one honeysuckle flower on it. The floral is where got the white bhut but this pepper is more citrus than floral. Weird combo in first bite.
Second and 3rd bites/chewed slowly: floral and citrus fades into a lemon cuke taste.
Heat: is pretty fast. Nothing creeper. Located on my lips, tongue, all over mouth burn, that had some decent staying power. Or maybe it was that in a desperate attempt to get a good sweat, endorphin rush, since I'd cut and saved seed, I ate another one seeds, included, the pod. Not super high seed count.
Taste with heat: taste tends to fade with heat. Think this is because is end of season (SEastern USA) pepper.
Heat level contrasted with: red moruga scorp, reaper, red brain, douglahs from earlier in summer? 4 of 10 but again, is end of season and my tolerance is up.
Summary: I'd like Jason's take on this but it sort of lacks in taste department or could be that is end of season in our neck of woods, and being refrigerated couple of days. But for a munching pod, if one likes lemon cukes and needs to get by some pain--4 pods gave me relief for 6 hours--am very grateful to Jason and WDT! Saw Shane smoking some brains with cucumber earlier: this would work with that, accenting with some agave, might make nice white sauce or even powder.

Thanks for looking and thank you Jason! (GA Growhead)

Back