• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Another 2010 grow log.

I have a very crude grow box made out of two saw horses, two 24" florecent and one 48" florecent. I have a blanket draped over the saw horses to hold in heat. It stays about 85*F when the lights are on. I will be adding another 48" soon.

I currently have 52 cells, 40 pepper and 12 tomato. Plus, I have a Bishops Crown and a Datil that I kept from last year.

All I have started is:

White Habs
Bishops Crown
Spicy Mustard Habs
Scotch Bonnet
Bolivian Rainbow
Long Red Cayenne
Hot Banana
Bhut Jolokia
Birds Eye
Atomic Starfish

The tomatoes I have started are:
TAPS
Orange Glow
White Bianca
Beefsteak

I will also be planting a small variety of herbs. Not sure what yet.

My setup:

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

A few of the seedlings:

Spicy Mustard Hab

DSC_0080.jpg

Scotch Bonnet

DSC_0074.jpg

Finding a watering schedule really isn't going to be a problem. Making sure the bed has plenty of drainage as it rains a lot here in the summer will be the problem. As long as I water between 8pm and 6am on the days I mentioned before, I will be ok.

One problem I have right now, is today, I dug out all of the roots in the bed and about 1' down, I ran into hard packed clay. Right now, I am moving all of the soil to one end of the bed, so I can dig this stuff out and mix it into the top soil and manure.

I also got a 50' soaker hose for free last night, so I'm set for irrigation. Almost...

I am putting a black plastic 55gal drum under my porch to store rain water. I am adding a downspout to the gutter to fill the drum. I am drilling and tapping a hole in the bottom of it to add a spigot for the hose. This way, when I do need to water the plants myself, I can use rainwater instead of the stuff they pass as tap water around here... I can also disolve nutrients this way as well.

Give me two weeks. I'm just waiting on payday to get the rest of the stuff. My plants are going through the hardening process and should be ready about the same time the bed is done.

The only thing I won't have when the plants go in the ground will be mulch. I will be buying it as I can afford it. I have to buy it by the bag as the only place around here (that I have found) that sells in bulk only sells quantities larger than I need...

Today, I got some dolomitic lime and a PH tester.

I just mixed some lime in with some potting soil. All I have to do is transplant my plants into larger pots.

The PH of the soil in my pots ranged from 7.0 to 7.8 depending on which pot I tested. The potting soil I mixed the lime into had a base reading of 7.0 and after the lime, it is 6.5.

I am still spraying with Epson salt water until I get the transplant done. After that, I don't think it will be needed as the lime has a pretty high magnesium content.

Ratman667 said:
Today, I got some dolomitic lime and a PH tester.

I just mixed some lime in with some potting soil. All I have to do is transplant my plants into larger pots.

The PH of the soil in my pots ranged from 7.0 to 7.8 depending on which pot I tested. The potting soil I mixed the lime into had a base reading of 7.0 and after the lime, it is 6.5.

I am still spraying with Epson salt water until I get the transplant done. After that, I don't think it will be needed as the lime has a pretty high magnesium content.

Lime will raise the PH, not lower it. Even though dolomite is a powder it takes a while for it to break down into a usable form for the plant. When applying lime to a garden spot it's best to apply it in the fall to give it the time it needs before your spring planting.

I might also add that a PH of between 6 and 6.5 is a good range for peppers and since your PH is 7 or above you should be using sulfur to lower it.

If that is the case, then I either,:

A. I got a crappy test kit. I am thinking this is the problem as it was only $7...

B. I got a fluke reading and need to retest.

or, I'm colorblind and should let someone else read the test for me.

Since you say, I should treat the soil with lime in the fall, what do you suggest I use?

Well, it is a beautiful 90*F day here today.

I just got back from the Lowes. Got about everything I need to finish up the bed.

All I gotta do now it head up to the store to fill the cooler and get out there and get it done.

Wish me luck, I got nearly 1200LBS of manure and topsoil to mix in...

Ratman667 said:
If that is the case, then I either,:

A. I got a crappy test kit. I am thinking this is the problem as it was only $7...

B. I got a fluke reading and need to retest.

or, I'm colorblind and should let someone else read the test for me.

Since you say, I should treat the soil with lime in the fall, what do you suggest I use?

If your PH reading is correct I wouldn't use lime at all, but would use sulfur to lower it and maybe some gypsum for a source of calcium.

I'd recommend retesting though with something more reliable before adding anything.

I only have a handful of plants that are still in pots. The ones that looked to have the calcium problem are all outside in the ground now.

I will keep what you said in mind.

I hate inacurate weather reports...

Yesterday, it was 90* and last night it dropped to 38*! I lost 3 of the plants I put in the ground, plus 6 that I still had in cups, but left out since they were hardened off. I was going to put them in the ground today since I ran out of light yesterday.

Ugh... At least I still have some seeds... Might be a little late for a decent harvest tho.

The water restrictions aren't to conserve water, but rather keep people from polluting the St. Johns river from fertilizer run off. It isn't supposed to get cold again, but then again, it wasn't supposed to drop below 50 last night either...

Lets just call last night natural selection.

We have had several thunderstorms lately and they have claimed two of my maters and 3 more peppers. I only have 2 Bhuts left and one of those is inside. It may get hardened off and put outside in a bucket later on.

Besides the ones that I lost all are doing fine except one atomic starfish. It will make it I think, the wind and rain just tore most of the leaves off.

Not surprisingly, my cayenne is doing the best. It had 3 new blooms develop since Friday when I pinched some off.

It is supposed to rain more tonight and tomorrow, so I will give them some fertilizer Tuesday.

Sorry about your luck Ratman...I'm in Palm Beach county and the weather has been fairly uncooperative here too. We're expecting nasty thunderstorms early am on Monday and throughout the day, so I'm about to see which plants are the weaklings on the patio.....

You put a lot of effort into that garden, so maybe a trip over to St. Augustine for some nice Datil plants would be plan B. Plan C might be a trip for some Bonnie plants at the local Home Improvement chain...

Good Luck

bossman9 said:
Any updates Rat? The weather is awesome in S Florida, how bout Jax...? You need me to send you some seedlings?

We are supposed to break into the mid 80's today, so things are turning around. Today, I'm going to get me maters staked up and hopefully find some cheap mulch. I have only lost one more plant. This one to a dog digging. I fear my Red Rider, B.B. gun isn't powerful enough to deter him from coming in my yard, so I may have to resort to a willow branch.

I wish I had enough seedlings to send some. I'm digging into my reserve seeds just to replace all the plants I have lost.

Ratman667 said:
I have only lost one more plant. This one to a dog digging. I fear my Red Rider, B.B. gun isn't powerful enough to deter him from coming in my yard, so I may have to resort to a willow branch.

Get a 4 or 5 foot length of rubber hose, whip him with it a few times and leave the hose lying on the ground next to your garden. ;)

He got what was coming to him. I outsmarted him and called animal control. Chasing him around with a branch was too tiring.

Back