• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Another 2010 grow log.

I have a very crude grow box made out of two saw horses, two 24" florecent and one 48" florecent. I have a blanket draped over the saw horses to hold in heat. It stays about 85*F when the lights are on. I will be adding another 48" soon.

I currently have 52 cells, 40 pepper and 12 tomato. Plus, I have a Bishops Crown and a Datil that I kept from last year.

All I have started is:

White Habs
Bishops Crown
Spicy Mustard Habs
Scotch Bonnet
Bolivian Rainbow
Long Red Cayenne
Hot Banana
Bhut Jolokia
Birds Eye
Atomic Starfish

The tomatoes I have started are:
TAPS
Orange Glow
White Bianca
Beefsteak

I will also be planting a small variety of herbs. Not sure what yet.

My setup:

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

A few of the seedlings:

Spicy Mustard Hab

DSC_0080.jpg

Scotch Bonnet

DSC_0074.jpg

Mine are about the same. About 4" if I had to guess. My best growers are my Bhuts. They are about 6" tall with large green leaves.

The Scotch Bonnet is worrying me a little. It is the same age as the other plants, but is barely bigger than a nickle.

DSC_0064.jpg

Ratman667 said:
The Scotch Bonnet is worrying me a little. It is the same age as the other plants, but is barely bigger than a nickle.

Some of my SB's are growing slower than others this year too. I'm not all that worried about, seems plants decide on their own when it's time for a growth spurt:-)

Well, i was repotting today and guess what i saw? APHIDS!!

I had a tomato plant that was nearly 12" tall and it fell over when i was rotating it. The base of the stalk had been eaten nearly in two!

When I pulled the plant out to see what was eating it, a black cloud lifted from the plants. I'm leaving now to go get some Safe Soap and Neem oil.

After I get back, I'll take some pics of where I'm building my garden.

Here are the culprits:

aphid.jpg

aphid-close.jpg

DSC_0386-1.jpg

I circled the dead ones on my biggest Bhut. They all were covered until I brushed them all off.

DSC_0356-1.jpg

I had to move the plants away from the light today as a few were touching the bulbs. Here is how everything looks now:

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

And my biggest Bhut. It is about 10" across and about 8" tall. This one will more than likely stay in a pot.

DSC_0356.jpg

My grow bed this year will be in the same place as last year. However, I plan on actually taking care of the plants this year.

I am "boxing" off a 8'x16' area using land scaping timbers. Right now, I am digging everything up and removing roots and rocks. After I am done with that, I will be renting a roto-tiller and mixing in a small truck load of composted horse manure.

When the plants are all in the ground I am going to bury a soaker hose about 6" down and weave it between the plants. It will be on a timer that come on at night for about 30 - 45 minutes.

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

Just a side note, not all of my plants will be in this one bed.

The bed is on the south end of the house, this is my pepper bed. On the east side of the house, I will plant my tomatoes.

millworkman said:
I would love to have sandy loose soil like that. Good looking start.

It's a blessing and a curse at the same time. But it beats the rocks I had to deal with in Oregon.

Nice plants you have started and a beaut of a Bhut.

I don't believe I'd bury the soaker hose, especially if I intended to retrieve it at the end of the season. I'd suggest placing it on top of the ground then mulching with something like pine bark nuggets. 30 to 45 minutes every night would be to much water, but maybe that isn't what you intended.

It's a nice garden spot you have started. Good luck this season.

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice plants you have started and a beaut of a Bhut.

I don't believe I'd bury the soaker hose, especially if I intended to retrieve it at the end of the season. I'd suggest placing it on top of the ground then mulching with something like pine bark nuggets. 30 to 45 minutes every night would be to much water, but maybe that isn't what you intended.

It's a nice garden spot you have started. Good luck this season.

Retrieving it at the end of the year shouldn't be a problem as the ground is mostly sand. The main reason for burying it is to avoid runoff. However, putting it under the mulch would work as well.

Here in Jacksonville, we can only water on 2 days a week. It goes by the last number of your address. Even numbers on Monday and Wednesday. Odds on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I'm going to place the hose under the mulch. I never thought of the roots growing into it.

I'm hoping to have the bed finished next Friday. I should have plants in the ground within a week of that. I just have to get a few more timbers, stakes and another hose.

I hope I get enough Bhuts to win the hottest chili contest at the bar this summer. lol

Rat-tastic

I always thought it was better to water in the morning soo the plant has allday to process the nutrients and theyre is no water just sitting at night could cause some problems with watering at night, unless its right before dawn i guess.

Back