• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

another disaster

I got an instant message from my friend where my germination trays are. His foster cat has removed all the covers from the three 72 cell trays and eaten many of the pepper and the ones not eaten are dried out. I havent seen the damage yet but one kitty might be sent back by tomorrow. I am heart broken.

Now, you can't blame the cat, it was just doing what cats do. We're the humans, we have bigger brains and opposable thumbs. It's up to us to make sure the plants are kitty-proofed.

Pam said:
Now, you can't blame the cat, it was just doing what cats do. We're the humans, we have bigger brains and opposable thumbs. It's up to us to make sure the plants are kitty-proofed.

That is impossible! My buddy has started his toms over twice now because of the kitty! It just wants to play in the dirt. He said if it happens again, he's goin to plant the cat!:lol: He won't though, he's an old softy!!!:rolleyes:

For the moment Im over the shock, thanks for being so encouraging. My friend is telling me the seeds need a mom's care and he doesnt want to be responsible. Can you believe it? he didnt want to build a cage for them? hahaha. I have no choice but to take over a portion of his basement when I get over there. He kept asking where I was going to plant them all also. Well Im in Carols camp and will figure out something. I think the worst part is that all those seeds were gifts and I turned out to not be a good steward of them, there are more though so I can replant and thanks for the offer of seeds but I will be ok.

Sorry to hear about the kitty karnage.

I don't know why but I've never had a moment of trouble with my feline and pepper plants of any age. It's as if he knows how much I value them and is actually protective of them, rubbing against containers and such. We used to weed the bell peppers together the first year I grew them. He would carefully weave in and out between the plants while I pulled stuff up.
And he keeps birds and squirrels away. :)

joeknowsjolokia said:
That is impossible! My buddy has started his toms over twice now because of the kitty! It just wants to play in the dirt. He said if it happens again, he's goin to plant the cat!:lol: He won't though, he's an old softy!!!:rolleyes:

It's not impossible at all, you buddy is being lazy. If the kitty wants to play in the dirt, get it its own dirt. Buy a bag of rye grass seeds and plant them in a wide, shallow pot. Put it in a kitty and human approved play area.

Here's Jenny, my antique cat, sleeping on one of seed trays

Jennyseedw-1.jpg

That was en electric blanket underneath, I had run out of room on the seed starting rack, and she liked the heat. So, I got the old lady her own seed starting mat, wrapped it in a towel, and put it in the cat room. Voila! Problem solved, happy cat, happy human, no drama over dead seedlings.

caroltlw said:
Sorry to hear about the kitty karnage.

I don't know why but I've never had a moment of trouble with my feline and pepper plants of any age. It's as if he knows how much I value them and is actually protective of them, rubbing against containers and such. We used to weed the bell peppers together the first year I grew them. He would carefully weave in and out between the plants while I pulled stuff up.
And he keeps birds and squirrels away. :)

My cats love to help in the garden! And they love sleeping under the plants later in the season. They occasionally knock something over, or climb up the plastic of the hoop house, or do some other typically cat stunt; but I figure they live here too, and we just deal with it.

chicagofire said:
I got an instant message from my friend where my germination trays are. His foster cat has removed all the covers from the three 72 cell trays and eaten many of the pepper and the ones not eaten are dried out. I havent seen the damage yet but one kitty might be sent back by tomorrow. I am heart broken.
Never Give up, Never Surrender, And don't take the cat back either just make sure you start teaching him/her those are not food and get some cat grass for your kitty.

Cat grass will save on your pods.

I have two cats. They aren't allowed anywhere near my seedlings without adult supervision.

Bosco & Spyke

that cat has not one but two of his very own cat grass pans. He used to munch on house plants and so I got him the seeds and made is own little garden which he loves. Since he got them he has left the house plants alone and I thought he would leave the seedlings alone too since they had the covers on them. He is pretty smart and can open cabinet doors so I should have know he could lift lids too.

chicagofire said:
that cat has not one but two of his very own cat grass pans. He used to munch on house plants and so I got him the seeds and made is own little garden which he loves. Since he got them he has left the house plants alone and I thought he would leave the seedlings alone too since they had the covers on them. He is pretty smart and can open cabinet doors so I should have know he could lift lids too.

Ha, sounds like a pretty cool cat. I like the raging extroverts.

I'm pretty sure that cats hate capsaicin, so if you blend a hab and add some water and oil, you can put it in a spray bottle and apply to your plants.

Also, if you don't like the idea of using capsaicin, cats also hate the oils in citric fruit, so you can blend some citrus peels in a blender with some water and spray your plants

Back