Another FNG

Hello everyone.

I'm from the Charleston, South Carolina, USA area and am coming here to learn all that I can about growing peppers. I have ambitions of setting up a hydroponic garden full of flavorful and hot peppers. In the end, I'd like to have bottled a few sauces or salsas that people beg me to make more of.

I currently have growing Tabasco, Serrano, Cascabel, Bhut Jolokia, Cayenne, Bolivian Rainbow and recently started some White Hab seedlings. Again. Everything is producing well enough despite my many attempts at killing everything. The Bhuts are full of flowers now and were the last to begin anything. The Bolivian Rainbows are so full of peppers I don't even know what to do with them all. The strongest plants that have survived this years neglect and heat will be overwintered.

I hope to learn many things here as I have not a clue what I'm doing.

Mike

Sometimes that's the best way, I started out like that, last year I was like my entire world came together and I thought this year I would be the pepper king....wrong. Don't know what I did any different but a lot of things just didn't happen and I am home, all day with my plants.

Sometimes less attention is better. I think my bhut stopped growing because it feels awkward with me staring at it so much.

But really, some people tend to micromanage their plants into a state of stunted growth and lack of production.. Which makes them give em even more attention and overbearing care.

Really they just wanted a drink of water.

Welcome from Fort Worth

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. :D

quote name='Pepper Ridge Farm' timestamp='1282223423' post='373405']
Welcome from across the bridge in Mt. Pleasant, have a lots of good pepper seed to help you get started. Good to know others in town with the same interest that have a green spirit hydrogardens. Check out my grow log, Douglah Cappy 2010 :welcome:
[/quote]

I love good ol Mt P. My dad and brother are firefighters for the town and I pass through there every day on the way to work. Do you find greenspirit helpful when you go in there? I dont know if its that I somewhat look like a cop or what but they've never really been too helpful to me. Except when I bought some grow lights back in the spring.

If you're doing hydro, I'd love to pick your brain.

Welcome, Mike!

As a co-newbie, I want to invite you to participate in September's throwdown - it's an informal cookoff between pepper lovers, and we're taking it one step further and turning September into a newbies vs. oldies throwdown. Sounds like you've got some great experience in the kitchen - we'd love to see what you can create! September is beefless burgers - they can be any other type of meat, veggie, or seafood burgers - and of course, something hot thrown in. Come join the fun - go to the Throwdown Discussion forum, then choose the Throwdown Sticky thread. We've engaged in quite a bit of pre-throwdown bragging, but we're still looking to add more newbie voices. So don't be shy - we'd love to see you there!

G

I love good ol Mt P. My dad and brother are firefighters for the town and I pass through there every day on the way to work. Do you find greenspirit helpful when you go in there? I dont know if its that I somewhat look like a cop or what but they've never really been too helpful to me. Except when I bought some grow lights back in the spring.

If you're doing hydro, I'd love to pick your brain.

Hey Mike,

Completely agree about the Greenspirits crew not being as helpful as they should be to their customers, Ross especially acts arrogant and doesn't believe you when you say you're growing peppers. The store is nice but I really don't shop there except pH down and test kits to balance our hard water we have. Everything is very expensive and you'll be better off shopping around, Hyams has Pro-mix on Folly road. No reason to hydro peppers here with our long grow season seems like a waste of energy, I use a grow light to get my peppers started and that's it. Charleston has almost a perfect climate for growing peppers and sun power is free why waste that.

Back