• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another Use for Hot Peppers

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I have not seen it talked about anywhere but I have found another use for the "burn" of hot peppers...

I am having a few issues with a jaw tooth...it started last Friday and throbbed on and off all weekend long so I went to the dentist Monday. He made some adjustments on my crowns so the physical problem is resolved, however the pain from the tooth ache still exist somewhat.

Long story short. If you have a dull throbbing tooth ache, eat a hot pepper and the brain will forget about the tooth ache pain and think about the pleasant burning sensation in your mouth....No Sh**!! it works...and as long as a little burn lingers in the mouth, the tooth does not hurt any more...but...when the burn subsides, the tooth ache returns...

Thanks for sharing this! I have a couple of sessions at the dentist ahead of me (complications with a 10 year olf prothesis) and may make use of this sooner than I'd like to! :) You're the man!

I thought you were supposed to swill the whiskey round your mouth Talas and spit it out, not drink it. That wouldn't be a waste to me because I don't really like whiskey.

LOL I found a new use for hot peppers the other day actually.

I went home and had some peppers I had never heard of and didnt know were pretty hot, about 60,000 SHU, and ate 2 of them pretty quick. Well I got a nice good burn that lasted for a good 15 minutes. During this time I took a shot of Gin and to my surprise the burn from the peppers had canceled out the burn from the alcohol, made it much easier to shot Gin.

AlabamaJack said:
I have not seen it talked about anywhere but I have found another use for the "burn" of hot peppers...

I am having a few issues with a jaw tooth...it started last Friday and throbbed on and off all weekend long so I went to the dentist Monday. He made some adjustments on my crowns so the physical problem is resolved, however the pain from the tooth ache still exist somewhat.

Long story short. If you have a dull throbbing tooth ache, eat a hot pepper and the brain will forget about the tooth ache pain and think about the pleasant burning sensation in your mouth....No Sh**!! it works...and as long as a little burn lingers in the mouth, the tooth does not hurt any more...but...when the burn subsides, the tooth ache returns...

I can confirm this.

I bit the hell out of the very back of my tongue the other day. Actually drew blood. It hurts like hell now whenever I chew or even speak and its slightly swollen.

After burning the crap out of my mouth with an unripe Caribbean last night the pain from the sore went away completely for almost an hour. When it began to come back I did it again with the same result.

Oddly, you might think that eating the pepper would really sting in the wound, but it had no noticable effect. Maybe because it was already inflamed and sending pain signals.

Anyhoo, its also a confirmed medical fact that capsaicin can reduce pain locally by basically overstimulating the cells till they stop sending pain signals. Or something like that...

I read that they were injecting capsaicin into some guys knee to treat his arthritis pain somewhere. Anyone care to elaborate?

I've never heard of it being injected (America are ahead of us for medicine a lot of the time anyway). I've heard of it put on plasters and that for help with back pain, joints etc.

Sickmont said:
I read that they were injecting capsaicin into some guys knee to treat his arthritis pain somewhere. Anyone care to elaborate?

I read that article but can't remember the details...it also said that during invasive knee surgery they were coating the affected areas with capsaicin and the after surgery demand for pain medicine decreased by a huge percent...maybe I can find the article again...

found one...here is the one on knee surgery...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21532304/

There is an ointment can not remember then name but it is for bake pain and muscle soreness it is on the market know. One of the ingredients is capsaicin.
Dan

LET IT BURN

rainbowberry said:
I thought you were supposed to swill the whiskey round your mouth Talas and spit it out, not drink it. That wouldn't be a waste to me because I don't really like whiskey.

R.B yep your right off course..but i found myself in Scotland 2 years ago in some of the worst snow storms they had had in years..stuck in a hotel in Carrbridge with massive toothache and crawling the walls that night, was offered a wee dram (was not a whisky/spirits drinker till then) and before you no it i was singing `wild rover` at the top of my voice and had been made a convert to the water of life :lol:;)

JayT said:
Isn't that what Blair's big new product last year Biocap was all about, relieving joint pain?

Don't think I was around the forum yet was I?

Hmmmm. Maybe not. Damn AJ I thought you were here for a long time, I just realized I joined be fore you and you are about 2800 and some posts ahead of me. How's the second coming of the nagas going?

there are heaps of uses, being studied for diabetes, arthritis (its stopped mine progressing), patchs for muscle pain, capsicum spray (haha)

Capsaicin inhibits the growth of human prostate cancer cells in petri dishes and mice," says lead researcher Dr. H. Phillip Koeffler, director of hematology and oncology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and a professor of medicine at the University of California

Prevent Sinusitis and Relieve Congestion Capsaicin has potent antibacterial properties that fight and prevent chronic sinus infections, or sinusitis

Soothe Intestinal Diseases , A Duke University study found that capsaicin may lead to a cure for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The substance can also help to kill bacteria such as H. pylori, which can help prevent stomach ulcers.
Burn Fat and Lose Weight Capsaicin is a thermogenic agent, which means it increases metabolic activity. This, in turn, helps to burn calories and fat. Many popular "fat-burning" supplements on the market contain capsaicin, as the substance may significantly increase metabolic activity for over 20 minutes after it's eaten (there ya go girls)

Protect Your Heart Capsaicin may help to protect the heart by reducing cholesterol, triglycerides and platelet aggregation. It may also help the body dissolve fibrin, which is necessary for blood clots to form

Back