• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any lawn and yard fanatics out there? Let me see...

zdecker said:
Sp33d....what did you use for your homemade striper? Piece of metal tubing filled with sand? I found one they sell for my Toro mower but for the price I'm thinking homemade could be better/cheaper.
Probably should show you what it looks like...in case you missed my first reply to your question before I posted pic of it...got all the metal tubing from Ace Hardware and got the nuts, bolts, epoxy and PVC tube etc from Lowes....bend and cut to desired length and fit it to your mower , fill the tube with pebble stone and sand and boom!! $27 striper...

Mounted on my Husqvarna AWD 190cc mower...love the AWD!!!
image.jpg

sp33d said:
Beautiful man...that was my second choice of turf for my lawn renovation ...you keep it really short? I was gonna buy a bad ass mower as well if I went with that turf type...

Yes I do. I reel mow with a McLane beater that a friend gave to me then I put a brand new motor on it. Runs like a champ. I mow 2-3 times a week to keep it short. We have tight water restrictions this year (water once a week) and it doesn't rain a lot in west texas so it's not as green this year but it's still healthy.

I gotta get another dose of Ironite on mine then I'll be posting up some green! just common Bermuda but it looks tight when its any month besides August.

nice mill.  i miss that bermuda my old place back in TN i mowed on 5 inches"had to mow 3 times a week" but man o man walking threw it was a magical carpet. i could set a beer bottle down in it and the grass acted like a beer holder.

sicman said:
nice mill.  i miss that bermuda my old place back in TN i mowed on 5 inches"had to mow 3 times a week" but man o man walking threw it was a magical carpet. i could set a beer bottle down in it and the grass acted like a beer holder.
I have to mow almost everyday to stay under the 1/3 rule...and having to mow so much makes the grass grow so thick (similar to shaving)...I've bee told by neighbors that walking on my lawn is like walking on clouds, I think that's a good thing...☁️☁️

That sounds like I'm asking for a pat on the back..I'm not lol

I like striping but I don't put much effort in the lawn.  The holes and bumps in the yard make it a challenge.  Tons of weeds here since this was once a horse field.  Tons of moles making holes every where and raising the ground, dogs making holes, chickens wrecking the yard, etc lol.

You wanted pics, so here's one of the side yard. 

Urso7QT.jpg

what's this 1/3 rule?

shaving makes hair thicker thing is a myth btw :)

I don't mind the 1/3 rule. I just mow once a week or as soon as I can after that. Sometimes I pull off more than 2/3 if it's been raining too long but then it's brown for a few days. After talking to my buddy who oddly has a phd in turf grass, he says mow high unless you are actually doing it for a playing field or golf course.

Browning said:
I like striping but I don't put much effort in the lawn.  The holes and bumps in the yard make it a challenge.  Tons of weeds here since this was once a horse field.  Tons of moles making holes every where and raising the ground, dogs making holes, chickens wrecking the yard, etc lol.

You wanted pics, so here's one of the side yard. 

Urso7QT.jpg

what's this 1/3 rule?

shaving makes hair thicker thing is a myth btw :)

They say to never cut more than a 1/3rd of the grass when you mow. It can cause browning, root death, and/or weed invasion. 

That being said.... I mow mine whenever I get to it regardless of length. It does stay/look much healthier though if you mow more often than less.
millworkman said:
I don't mind the 1/3 rule. I just mow once a week or as soon as I can after that. Sometimes I pull off more than 2/3 if it's been raining too long but then it's brown for a few days. After talking to my buddy who oddly has a phd in turf grass, he says mow high unless you are actually doing it for a playing field or golf course.

Everywhere you read almost every time they recommend mowing high and watering around 1" a week for bermuda. To get that golf course look though, water often and cut as low as that reel mower will let you cut without scalping ;)

Browning said:

what's this 1/3 rule?
It's a "rule" that says cutting more then 1/3 of the total length of grass will make the grass shoots concentrate on vertical shoot growth instead of root growth....as with anything planted into the ground, stronger healthy deep roots creates in most instances a healthy plant..same with grass....
So coming from someone that has literally researched and researched and read as much as I could possibly find and probably could be an Agrostologist I have read so much on the matter, it doesn't hurt to "break" the 1/3 rule once in awhile..only when you habitually do it would it have any negative effects, as with many things .....grass is forgiving and can take a hell of a beating...Hell I see some people, not do a damn thing to their lawns and it still looks "decent"..of course not up to my standards but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my landscaping and gardening...it's a great feeling when people walk by and say "your yard and lawn are the best on the block" ..not that I strive for that recognition but it just makes the hard work worthwhile...

Time to go cut the grass , how ironic lol....think I'm gonna go with the diamonds again today for the striping ...we shall see..

Let's keep seeing this lawn pics...:)
spicy_echo said:
They say to never cut more than a 1/3rd of the grass when you mow. It can cause browning, root death, and/or weed invasion. 

That being said.... I mow mine whenever I get to it regardless of length. It does stay/look much healthier though if you mow more then less
Absolutely correct sir...
On that note, I cut my lawn almost daily..some weeks I cut every day and some weeks I cut every other day..but absolutely the moree you cut the more healthier and better looking your lawn will be....
millworkman said:
Yeah keeping it high helps keep weeds from germinating, keeps the moisture after watering or rain from drying out to fast and plus I think it helps the rhizomes spread even better by allowing the top soil to stay moist longer...One of my favorite characteristics of KBG , self healing grass...love it..
I keep my lawn around 3-3/4" to 4"

I'm having serious lawn problems, mostly caused by my own laziness. I plan on posting some pictures and maybe some of you fine folks can offer advice. I've tried everything but I can't seem to get rid of the moss and dandelions. Also the ground is rock hard and I can't figure out why. I had it completely re-sodded last year and in three months it was ruined again. It's a very small area, so it seems like I should be able to dial it in.   

Some absolutely beautiful lawns in here. Can't wait to add my own pictures to this thread. Going to take a lot of work before that happens though. Being our land is on an old cane field, our property is full of bumps and ruts. Is there an easy (read cheap) way to level it out and improve drainage?

ColdSmoke said:
I'm having serious lawn problems, mostly caused by my own laziness. I plan on posting some pictures and maybe some of you fine folks can offer advice. I've tried everything but I can't seem to get rid of the moss and dandelions. Also the ground is rock hard and I can't figure out why. I had it completely re-sodded last year and in three months it was ruined again. It's a very small area, so it seems like I should be able to dial it in.
To help with the ground being rock hard, start aerating every spring and fall and adding organic matter....

MeatHead1313 said:
Some absolutely beautiful lawns in here. Can't wait to add my own pictures to this thread. Going to take a lot of work before that happens though. Being our land is on an old cane field, our property is full of bumps and ruts. Is there an easy (read cheap) way to level it out and improve drainage?
Aerating in the spring and fall will help and also you can do top dressings with organic matter and over time it will improve the composition of your soil and drain better plus over time it will level out with spreading out the top dressing...

Easily....

Take a wheel barrel or something similar and fill with earthworm castings , peat moss, quality compost and topsoil and mix together ......aerate lawn then spread evenly across grass with rake or something similar until it works it's way down between blades of grass and into aeration holes...and repeat minus the aeration...also mulch leaves into the lawn when fall arrives ....do that once a year.....
To get rid of the weeds...google "the triangle approach"..
Moss is a ph issue or not enough sun exposure...
ColdSmoke said:
how do "add" organic matter? Seems like it would just cover the grass and kill it.

Back