• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

photography Any photographers?

loki1982 said:
I do photography and videography as a side hobby.  Currently have a Canon 5D Mark II and getting a 5D Mark IV once my bonus comes in next month.  

Video of some of my Jalapenos and Cayenne from last year.
https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/75373656/jalapeno-and-cayenne-pepper-plants-garden.html

Another
https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/75373296/jalapeno-and-cayennepepper-plants-garden.html

This year I hope to do a lot more.

Good job. 

I consider myself a constantly aspiring photographer :lol: I have a Canon T3i and I've been saving up for a Canon 80D (just a couple hundred away now). 

I just set up a do-it-yourself-cheaply lightbox for some product photography that I'm hoping to try out tomorrow. I got really excited when I realized I can take sprout photos once my seeds begin to grow. I've done some photography for money (a wedding, then a family photoshoot, used to upload to iStock and actually sold a few) and I'd love to get into pet photography (I do the adoptable greyhounds for a local group):

tumblr_ol8er5glEB1s3xj43o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_og4hc5RXGS1s3xj43o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_okieq2ZRi01s3xj43o1_1280.jpg

He was crazy! We had all his siblings up for adoption at various times and they were all kind of nuts, but super sweet. 

I used this tutorial for mine. I got all my supplied at Walmart - a large box (in the packing section), cheap white cotton for the sides ($2.00 per yard, 2 yards did two lightboxes), a roll of white banner paper for the backdrop (craft section), hot glue to attach the cotton to the sides, and packaging tape to attach the backdrop to the box. It took about an hour of cutting and gluing. Overall pretty cheap and easy! If I ever manage to actually use it, I'll post a photo.  :rolleyes:

I like to grow peppers, and I like photography also. Two hobbies added to the other many hobbies I have.

I have Nikon D7200 and D5500, and it just happens that I have the 50mm 1.8.  It's a "good lens"... at least mine is a good lens. 50mm is a must have for a lot of things, but if you use it indoors with a DX camera you might find the field of view a little narrow. Add a 35mm to her collection !

Thing is that all lenses have their "sweet spot". Even somewhat  inexpensive lenses have an aperture where the images can be really good. Glad you gave her something she will hopefully enjoy !  

Not sure who said it in the previous posts, but I will agree that the GLASS makes the sharp images... not the camera. You don't need to spend a lot on cash on super awesome glass to get good images !!

Happy Growing.... or shooting !

Jeff

Walchit said:
Will the 35 mm be good for that? Or something smaller?

The Nikon 35mm DX will focus down to 12" or so,but it's not a dedicated macro. You can reverse mount your kit lens or put some tubes on your 50 if you want to do macro for cheap. Not discouraging you from buying the 35,it is inexpensive and you can get clean crops for macro-like stuff.

This hobby can drain your bank account as fast as any other.It all comes down to how serious you are and how much money you want to part with. Look at the medium format cameras if you want a good chuckle. $10k-$40k just for the body alone.

I saw some crazy expensive cameras when I got that one. I definitely went for the cheapest one that I thought would do what we need.

Wooo! Another Nikon user! I've got a d3300 and a d5300. Got the same 50mm 1.8 lens, plus a 35mm 1.8, an 18-55mm kit zoom lens, and the 55-200mm kit zoom. I haven't done much pepper photography yet, but I'm going to be doing some photos on my recipes/experiments

If you don't wanna break the bank on macro lenses, you can get some Vivitar adapters. Might need to mess around with them a bit, but they've worked pretty well for me.

loki1982 said:
I do photography and videography as a side hobby.  Currently have a Canon 5D Mark II and getting a 5D Mark IV once my bonus comes in next month.  

Video of some of my Jalapenos and Cayenne from last year.
https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/75373656/jalapeno-and-cayenne-pepper-plants-garden.html

Another
https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/75373296/jalapeno-and-cayennepepper-plants-garden.html

This year I hope to do a lot more.

You Canon peeps are lucky: MagicLantern firmware :P

Walchit said:
Thanks for the advice! She has been looking at macro lenses or whatever they are called. If she gets one of those i will really have her taking pepper pics lol

Macro is a world in itself.  Sure you can use adapters to get macro like shots, but in my opinion you would be better off with a dedicated macro lens.

I read a lot about macro lenses a while back and settled on a Tokina 100mm f/2.8. It's quite a bit cheaper that other macro lenses out there, and it produces fantastically sharp images !!..  Be Warned though...It WON'T autofocus on the D3000 !!  She would need a D5000 or better to get autofucus to work if I remember correctly.

Autofocus isn't necessary. When working macro she'd be spending most of the time setting up the shots. The focus ring on that lens works really fine !! Check out this review http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/100mm-f28.htm

This lense will work very well for other uses besides macro too.  It's a 100mm and works great for portraits, plus the f/2.8 will let you work in low light or get super fast shutter speeds in normal light.

Happy Growing !!

Jeff

Back