beer ASK WHEEBZ

Last night I bottled my Christmas Beer, “Kool Yule”, which is a Fig Pudding Porter after spending 8 day at 32 degrees F to get it to clear up. Now have to wait the 2 weeks for bottle conditioning but I might just chill one at a week to see how it’s going. ;)

I planned to add ½ pound of Maltose to it and was really surprised when I tasted a bit of the Maltose that it was not as sweet as I had expected it to be. This caused me to pause and reconsider about using the whole pound I have but decided to just stay with the plan. I did pull a sample of the uncarbonated beer before adding the Maltose and then another sample after to compare and I could tell a difference. I think that the ½ pound was the right amount. I wanted some sweetness there to balance the bitter but not be over the top and I think I hit that mark.

When I crack one I’ll get some pictures up and I can’t wait to get you some to review wheebz.

So, here’s a little bit about it.

The OG was 1.098 and there were, as wheebz said some pretty unconventional sugars in there. It was fermented at 64 degrees F for 7 days on WLP002 English Ale then Racked to the Secondary for another 8 days. At racking the SG was above 1.030 so I pitched a Cotes De Blanc to it which brought it down to 1.020. At this point it was cloudy as all get out so it went into 32 degrees F for 8 days to cold condition and today it was nice and clear. When I looked in the secondary after racking it to the bottling bucket there was a good ½ inch of stuff at the bottom so it had a lot of clearing up to do. Maltose was mixed into a quart of water and brought to a boil then cooled and added to the bottling bucket along with another pack of Cote’s De Blanc which I rehydrated 24 hours in advance in 900 ml of water mixed with 3 tablespoons of Extra Light DME. I didn’t add any priming sugar because; as wheebz pointed out at 1.020 there were still a lot of sugar left in there.

Cheers everyone,
RM

Did you actually use figs for this? What other spices, etc did you use if any?

It sounds really good and christmasy. I bet it will turn out to be a fantastic holiday brew.

Hot damn, that WILL be a good beer. I love figs in beer.

You said you did 7 days primary and then racked to secondary. Did you do 8 days secondary and THEN additional 8 days at 32, or just the entire time in secondary was at 32 degrees? Then you will do 2 weeks bottle conditioning.

I ask because I'm just trying to have my own understanding of conditioning times for high gravity beers. You COULD essentially bottle condition much longer than 2 weeks if you desired, right?

7 days Primary
8 days Secondary at 64 degrees F then 8 more days at 32 degrees F.

2 weeks will get it carbonated right after that you can drink it whenever you want. Some people do make their Christmas beers a year ahead and allow them the whole year to condition. The same could be done with any high gravity beer I'd guess.

Ok cool. I thought a big beer needed to sit in a secondary for months which I didn't have the space to dedicate one fermenter for that long to one beer. But if I can go shorter I think I shall tackle at higher gravity next brew.

How long you been brewing RM?

I have been actually brewing for around a year and studying / reading about it for about 2. Major props are owed to wheebz though for his willingness to answer what might be considered the silliest of questions. We all have to start somewhere and having someone like wheebz around is priceless. Not just a good source of information but a good friend too.

Major props are owed to wheebz though for his willingness to answer what might be considered the silliest of questions.

Haha yep, just like I'm doing to you guys. But the willingness to answer is definitely much appreciated.

Brewing is definitely my current obsession and my brain can't take in enough info. I just keep trying to take in as much as I possibly can.

I'm going to be in Sarasota tomorrow, so Ima stop at Darwins and have myself a brew or six.

Ok wheebz, here's the first look at a Kool Yule. Just a glimpse so I'm not going to say anything about it's flavor so you dont go looking for anything. you know what went into it.

6F9B928C-1997-448E-8DE5-DBD28BB8613A-2604-0000023778F82EAD.jpg

6509B121-CEE8-431F-9886-520DACB2C450-2604-0000023780E5C3EC.jpg

I'll just say YUM!!!

Nice dark color. Hope you get more head with age.
Having tasted your beers, I know the flavors and abv were spot on!

From what wheebz told me using DME or LME can sorta kill your head retention. I can only hope right now but I'm already thinking about AG brewing starting next year maybe.

:cool:

Fancy... I'd pick up some if I saw that in the store based on label alone.

Based on the ingredients you listed, I can't see how that beer doesn't taste like yuletide deliciousness

its gonna have to sit a little longer to get that nice head on it

he didnt use any priming sugar at all, so it might take a bit for that cote de blanc yeast to break down those residual polysaccharides

hopefully it can, i think it should be able to

There was some carbination developing, that was one of the reasons I cracked it. Got a small Pffsst when I opened too. I'll check it again next week after it's been a full 2 weeks.

Shhhit... My porterish stout has been in the primary since 12/5, so its been 17 days and when I went to take a gravity reading and give a taste I saw this :eek: :eek:

wtf is this?

It smells like sour apple, which I know isn't right. But is the whole batch garbage?

DSCN4568.jpg

DSCN4569.jpg

Oh dang HTH, sounds like it may be but wheebz is the better judge though. It may be a few days till he posts in but he will. In the mean time don't sample any and you might want to fine a cool spot to out it. If your lucky you might be able to rack some if it to a secondary and do something with it.

ohhh that looks so pretty!!!

What you have there is pediococcus damnosus if I remember correctly

technically you batch is completely destroyed

but do not fret TOTALLY, because you have the rare opportunity some might not get and can play with this if you want.

pediococcus is one of the lactic acid producing bacterias, so you have one other option than just dumping it out

you can rack it to a secondary glass carboy, let it sit for 6-12 months, and taste it then. It is going to be incredibly sour and funked up, but you can then brew another batch of beer and blend it up

Thats if you like sours

but yes, your entire batch is infected

Ahh shiiiit. I wonder what the hell I did. I am painfully cautious with my cleaning/sanitizing procedures

That sucks asssssssssssss. It does smell like a sour beer too.

I tasted it and it did not taste like it smelled. It tasted like beer.

:tear: I always just assumed this would not happen to me

Back