beer ASK WHEEBZ

I'll answer for you and say yes. Initial start up cost for a basic kit is not expensive. It's fun and addicting as hell. Your beer will be cheaper this way also. DOOOOO IT.

And post about it.

for a 5 gallon keg of our belgian dubbel, I use 1/2 of an Oak Spiral, Medium plus toasted, and it comes out pretty oaked

I think they come in the 4oz bags, one of those bags should be plenty for a 5 gallon batch

if you use more than you should, you can always take the beer off of the wood before you normally would

Question... I'm gonna do my first big beer in the next couple weeks some time. A belgian triple or strong golden. OG should be somewhere in the 1.080's.

Trying to figure out the best way to achieving a high enough cell count to ferment this properly using a starter.

I don't have a vessel large enough to hold 3-4 liters.

Could I use one vial of yeast split between two vessels making 1.5 liters each or will this be too stressful on the yeast?

Or is it possible to make a smaller starter that is 1.5 liters using two vials of liquid yeast?

you shouldnt need a starter if you are using anything from White Labs

i fermented a 12% barleywine by simply double pitching, using 2 of the small vials instead of 1 for a 5 gallon batch

BUT

if you want to make one, create two separate starters in 2 different 1.5l flasks, and then just dump them both in your fermenter

you know how many times ive made starters in my lifetime in a professional setting?

never

unless I was propagating up yeast from a single cell into a viable pitchable amount for a 7bbl turn, ive never made a starter

No shit huh? Spend a little more but save an extra step. I'm down for that.

Now that you bring it up, I never even thought about what professional brewers do for pitching yeast. Lemme scope out a brew day!

Ok this might be a dumb question, but would I pitch both vials at once like normal or for a big beer do you need to let the initial fermentation slow, and then re-pitch the second vial?

pitch em both at the same time

and I pitch 3 different ways

cone to cone

harvest, acid wash, repitch

or fresh out of the White Labs bottle right into the tank

looking to ferment some stuff that will last forever. no shelf life.

i am building a very small room for wine. i dont ever plan on growing my own grapes but would like to bottle several thousand gallons of wine. my first question is what kind of set up do i really need? not looking to open a winery,but not trying to use a 5 gallon bucket forever either. i should point out ive only made cheap hobbo wine before,so this is more i want it bottled and stored properly not a passion!

wine has a shelf life of about 5-7 years with the exception of some of the high end bordeauxs and cab sauvs

theres about 5 bottles of wine to every gallon, you will not drink 5000 bottles of wine in a lifetime dude

but what you can do is buy juice, fruit or grape, and make it like that

you will need some sort of acid blend, some wine tannin, potassium metabisulfide, whatever size fermenter you want to go with, and a second conditioning tank, or a couple of them, and a lot of space

well theres a couple reasons why its not going to have that long of a shelf life, and everything has a shelf life, liquor included

quality of ingredients, equipment needed (expensive part), proper storage temp/conditions, proper quality control

you would need proper filtration, anti-oxidation, perfect bottle purge for each one with argon gas, the highest quality corks you can buy, perfect cellaring temps, and the know-how to make an extremely superior product that only comes with experience and proper schooling, neither of which I am at the level at to provide you with EXACT ways of doing so

from my experience, i dont see wine being drank, even on the most expensive of levels, past like 50 years, and even then, thats super f**king rare

if you want something with a shelf life of 100 or so years, distill

the pH + the ABV acts as natural preservatives, and if you wanna go hardcore, distill something from a completed beer mash, boiled, fermented, all of that

Back