beer ASK WHEEBZ

Problem with using super hots in beer is the amount of heat that gets transferred to the beer. You need a bunch of peppers for flavor but a bunch of superhots makes it exactly that. Super hot. To the point where you can't drink it.

I'd soak the supers in a vodka wash 2 or 3 times before I used them.

wheebz said:
Problem with using super hots in beer is the amount of heat that gets transferred to the beer. You need a bunch of peppers for flavor but a bunch of superhots makes it exactly that. Super hot. To the point where you can't drink it.

I'd soak the supers in a vodka wash 2 or 3 times before I used them.

Would you characterize the piquancy of pepper crap in beer as building (like chili and leftovers tends to do), or fading? ...

I was thinking about seeing what the upper end of alcohol % I could squeeze into a milk stout ... and brewing it as one would, aiming to get some chai like flavors from the hops/yeast choices ...

Then, putting some pasteurized beer (not sure if Guinness is, would Google to see, or in worst case use some pasteurized American lager swill) into a whipping siphon w/ some cut up trinidad perfume pods and making a pepper beer to mix into secondary a little each couple of days until it's "nice" ...

But, I yield to your experience ultimately ...

That sounds way too complicated. Chop them bitches up and throw them in the whirlpool and call it a day

In other news, designing a 62qt kettle! :cool:

ASK WHEEBZ -

on milling grains ...

what are your thoughts? ...

i have a chamber vac ...

options, i can think of:

1) continue to buy milled, open and repack upon receipt in vac pouches ...
2) buy whole, mill the day before brewing:
    a) corona mill
    b) barley crusher
    c) millar's b3
    d) monster mill

?

any input greatly appreciated,
gm

I like milling my own grain because it stays fresh ta death yo

but you have to figure out for yourself if the 300 or so dollars is going to be actually worth it considering most homebrew shops charge you like a cent or two per pound to mill grain
I like the 3 roller monster mill, they are baller

ASK WHEEBZ -

Normally we're trying to minimize hot alcohol taste, but what are the axis of control of that quality of a finished batch? ...

I now have some Trinidad Perfume pods in my fat little ham hocks and I ate one a minute ago ... it's got all of the flavor of a pod, and like ~3-5% of the heat ...

I'm thinking about using it w/ some fresh curry leaves and a little coriander/turmeric/cumin in a chai-inspired milk stout ...

If I want there to be a little bit of hotness from alcohol, what are my handles of control ... adding sugar, mashing high or low, ??? ....

Thanks!

high fermentation temp and stress the shit out of the yeast

problem is you are going to get a lot of other unwanted flavors

and you would need to shoot for over 10%

feel like those peppers would be more fun in the arlingtonesis/fresh dried cascade batch ...

not sure i share JayT's spicy stout vision, lol ...

didnt even unwrap everything, its still sitting on 3 pallets in boxes

made sure I had everything and that was it

60 kegs, 1bbl pilot system, 2 fermenters for now, will buy a total of 6 1bbl fermenters

wheebz said:
didnt even unwrap everything, its still sitting on 3 pallets in boxes

made sure I had everything and that was it

60 kegs, 1bbl pilot system, 2 fermenters for now, will buy a total of 6 1bbl fermenters

Exciting!

I'd like to fill 60x kegs ...

ASK WHEEBZ -

I had a really nice sip of a wee heavy at JDub's the other morning ...

Starting to see the improvement in my changing from saying I don't like hoppy beer to instead saying that I don't like bitter beer.

grantmichaels said:
ASK WHEEBZ -

I had a really nice sip of a wee heavy at JDub's the other morning ...

Starting to see the improvement in my changing from saying I don't like hoppy beer to instead saying that I don't like bitter beer.
Yeah, I'm just not a big fan of too much coriander or cloves.

ASK WHEEBZ

Talk me into some Mead.  I just harvested a gallon of my own honey but I have no equipment.  There are some vids of just using a gallon jug, 1 quart of honey, some raisins/ oranges and regular bread yeast.  Then top it off with water.  Some heat it, some don't. 

I am not opposed to buying an airlock and some other equipment.  I was thinking about buying a cheap beer kit that could be multi purposed for beer, wine and mead. 

Back