Same ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439681478.442843.jpg

I dumped 'em ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439681496.193928.jpg

OB has me covered ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439681531.678354.jpg

Like a fat cat ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439681559.780778.jpg

That thing's either infected, or they are fermenting in the can lol ...

amirite?

Speaking of Cigar City, have you tried their new beer, the dark one, Imperial Stout I think. Really hard to get and getting reviews that it is better than Dark Lord.

Oh and Wheebz, I'd wait until this whole confederate flag/race war thing is over before opening. You KNOW they'll go looting a beer spot in a heartbeat! :lol:

wheebz said:
i would have sent those pictures to Cigar City and let them know

thats some seriously nasty stuff in there for only a month and a half

yeah, planned to send them the canning date and info etc ...
i called them up and they gave me the lab email, to which i sent the pics ...

lol ...

homie was a tiny bit defensive, responded to my suggestion that it might be trub or infection by saying "it's not infected, it's colloidal proteins"...

i felt like replying that it's a shitty user experience, but didn't bother ...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439860018.858703.jpg

wheebz said:
milled grains will start losing their efficiency after around 3 weeks to a month, I wouldnt use them past a month and a half unless they are roasted grains

unmilled you are good for a year or so, that shouldnt cause you any problems

storing them at room temp is fine, no need to refrigerate or anything like that 

if I could store pre-milled grains at Darwins in 80 degrees and still make good beer you are ok

getting back to RM's ?, because i was slammed w/ work that day, but had some questions on the same topic ... lab topics ...

do you guys test diastatic power in-house, or rely on the maltsters to spec it for your high-volume orders in their malt analysis? ...

is there basic testing solutions (like pH), or a way to take a measured amount of grains and perform mini-mashes on them, or something like that that folks do in-house in a brewery, that can be done at home ... or ? ...

i understand that you want a diastatic power of the total grist to be at least 50 ... i'm not sure what that's a measurement of, exactly, hence my question ...

i understand, now, that one should consider chewing a couple of grains from each of the items in the grain bill, to verify they are relatively crisp, and don't taste rotten or otherwise ruinous ... which I have not been doing at all.

i'm guess what i'm trying to ask is, what should a homebrewer do to verify their dry ingredients ...

Bob, the maltster from Briess was really forthright in mentioning that the bags they ship the grains in are sealed, but not particularly good for long terms storage, because they are 3 ply plastic that allows humidity and oxygen to pass through it .. albeit slowly.

an example he gave was interesting to me ... he said that a lot of homebrewers do things breweries don't because small-scale costs aren't the same, so for instance, they'll brew a beer using 100% munich as the base malt, which i guess, doesn't even contain the diastatic power to convert itself, without the addition of a adjunct grain w/ a higher diastatic power, to raise the average up to at least 50 ...

so, when it comes to our grains, what can we do, and what can't we do, and what should we do based on those etc etc? ...

apparently it's not a bad idea to crush your hops, similarly, to at least investigate those for off smells etc before tossing them in ...

as things seem to not always be what they are supposed to be, and beer taking a long time (for me) to brew, this is something i know i'm trying to get more wise about and wondered what your advice would be ... and yes, just brew beer and STFU since you only have a $50 ingredient cost/batch is a valid answer if that's what it amounts to ...

CHEERS!

grantmichaels said:
lol ...

homie was a tiny bit defensive, responded to my suggestion that it might be trub or infection by saying "it's not infected, it's colloidal proteins"...

i felt like replying that it's a shitty user experience, but didn't bother ...
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439860018.858703.jpg
except he is exactly right, that is what it is
Grant diastatic power refers to the ability of the enzymes in the grain to convert the starches into mono and disaccharides for fermentation

because of the way that some grains are roasted or kilned after malting, it denatures the natural enzymes present after germination and malting

Also, depending on the grain, some have more natural diastatic power than others, such as 6 row vs two row, or even different strains of marris otter compared to others, that kind of deal

There is absolutely nothing you should/can do to change the diastatic power of your grain, only increase amylase activity using things that have higher D.P. such as tossing in 6 row into a high adjunct mash, or using amylase enzymes which I do not recommend on a homebrew scale unless you know what you are doing from experience

The maltster will give you all of that info on your reports they send you. As a homebrewer, the only way to get that info is to ask the homebrew shop to see the maltsters tag on the bottom of each bag that is shipped to them, assuming they have them available

But, nowadays, especially on your scale, it really doesnt matter unless you are mashing like 50% corn or rice or things like that

wheebz said:
There is absolutely nothing you should/can do to change the diastatic power of your grain, only increase amylase activity using things that have higher D.P. such as tossing in 6 row into a high adjunct mash, or using amylase enzymes which I do not recommend on a homebrew scale unless you know what you are doing from experience

The maltster will give you all of that info on your reports they send you. As a homebrewer, the only way to get that info is to ask the homebrew shop to see the maltsters tag on the bottom of each bag that is shipped to them, assuming they have them available

It's interested to see stuff come around and intermingle between cooking and brewing ...

For instance, I do some coffee using a vacuum-pot/siphon where I do it whole bean, for a bite-less coffee that's pretty wasteful of weight, but delicious ... and then that correlates w/ what you were saying about doing coffee stout/porter etc ...

I use amylase enzyme to make slider rolls that remain pillowy soft, and don't form a crust ... and then again, the addition to pizza dough that makes it brown up faster/better at lower temp (like home oven), is diastatic malt ...

Yesterday I woke up to a lucid dream that I was looking at a tap-list that was all malty beers - biere de gard, stouts, and a vanilla bean porter, and in the bottom right there was a single IPA ...

This morning I woke up and the first thought to come to me was that some of my yeast vials could have been doomed from their journey here ...

I woke up and thought to myself how the two White Labs vials I had trouble with (WLP565 and WLP007) came on the same order ... good chance that box got hot, or whatever, coming to Florida ...

I need to check the WLP940 invoice (to see if it's the same order), and will plan to step that one up a few times before I pitch it if so ...

I guess to do that, I'd want to make a starter, give it 18 hours, then let it settle out off the plate, pour off most of the liquid, and then add some more boiled & cooled DME-wort and do it again - right? ...

Thanks for all the help ... looking forward to seeing that 30 gal system! =)

Thanks. I couldn't figure it out ... the way the comments read on the arrows shown at hardness == 5 sound kind of redundant once you know what it is ...

Now it makes plain sense ...

:cool:

ASK WHEEBZ -

JayT talkin' 'bout some bhut stout he wants to experience:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51319-bring-your-own-stool-barbq-with-gm/?p=1212404

My idea for something along those lines, using - of course, a little jay's peach bhut:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51319-bring-your-own-stool-barbq-with-gm/?p=1212411

My question for you is - a pinch of powdered from JHP, or a little dunk of a fresh one at flame-out, or ? ...

=)

Rate must be like a fraction of a key bump, lol ...

Back