beer ASK WHEEBZ

Not too sure what your local HBS situation is, for me I have to drive a bit to get to one so I tend to do a lot more online. The Maltsters that are most commonly represented with the places I use are:

Maltsters

Country

Bairds

UK

Best Malz

Germany

Briess Malting Company

USA

Castle

UK

Crisp Malting

USA

Dingemans

Belgium

Fawcett & Son's

UK

Franco-Belges

France

Gambrinus

Canada

MaltEurop

France

Malting Company of Ireland

Ireland

Muntons

UK

Rahr Malting

USA

Salzgitter

Germany

Schill

Germany

Simpsons

Canada

Canada Malting

Germany

Weyermann

Germany

Go to their websites and some offer a downloadable ,pdf file that tells about their products. Briess has one that was really easy to understand and gives and good, useful description of the grains.

Briess1_zps4fnz2rzz.png

Briess2_zpskhxpwq5y.png

I have them from

Briess
BestMalz
Castle
Crisp, 3 formats of this one I downloaded the IoB version, wheebz would the EBC or the ASBC been the better version?
Dingermans
Simpsons

Then you can study by the warmth of your fire and sipping a good brew :)

Cheers

This colloidal protein crap in the local beers is a shitty customer experience ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447902676.180529.jpg

I've had hundreds of different beers from across the country, and world, and only the beers produced around here have this that I've found ...

Worst, though ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447902755.603341.jpg

But, it's bitter ...

Yuck.

Anyways, my ASK WHEEBZ -

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447902813.877820.jpg

This Bhut stout is taking FOREVER to carb with service-level gas (10-12 psi) ...

Is rate of carb'ing affected by gravity?

Just my 2 cents, so you know what it's worth.

First, we are the 1% who have been taught by a professional and in my opinion, Jared is one of the top In his field and it will provenoutnafternhis brewery is up and running and he's earning the gold, which he's done already under other people's names. We k ow better because we were taught better, the other 99% are lemmings to what Big beer tells them. They don't k ownPritien haze or issues from Butkus. They drink what they're told to and it tastes good to them. We are able to take what we do and what we've been taught and analyze beer to a higher standard.

Again just MHO, but crank up the pressure or put it out there as it is. You've said that this is beer syrup, it's going to take more to carbonize it or just serve as is.

Cheers Bro!

yeah, i agree ... i feel fortunate to have the start that i'm having ...

much thanks to J! ...

i could be a happy guy just drinking back and forth between his stout and my ipa ...

on the bhut stout, i'm going to swap the ipa in for it in the keezer, so i can throw the bhut stout on the dualie where i can turn up the gas ...

i've been doing the stouts the low-psi way, for the tasty tiniest bubbles ;)

:cheers:

Those floaties are annoying ... they settle but don't stay (like say, yeast) ...

CCB has 'em too, in the canned shit.

I wonder if these are all beers they have BrewHub manufacture? ...

AaronTT said:
How hard is it for someone new to create their first brew? Can a newbie create a beer for the first that is at least 7%?

Hey Aaron, the first thing is to get the essential equipment to brew the size you want to brew. I started with 5 gallon batches, Grant started with 1 gallon. Also most new brewers start off with a kit or 2 to make sure they have a good grasp of the brewing process and everything involved with it. That's not to say that you cant make your kits a couple of good ones with added in specialty grains and you can add extra DME to get the OG up above 1.063. So, yes it's possible. I would probably recommend that you follow a recipe as it was developed and put together for your first one though.

Cheers

RocketMan said:

Hey Aaron, the first thing is to get the essential equipment to brew the size you want to brew. I started with 5 gallon batches, Grant started with 1 gallon. Also most new brewers start off with a kit or 2 to make sure they have a good grasp of the brewing process and everything involved with it. That's not to say that you cant make your kits a couple of good ones with added in specialty grains and you can add extra DME to get the OG up above 1.063. So, yes it's possible. I would probably recommend that you follow a recipe as it was developed and put together for your first one though.

Cheers
Thanks Rocketman! Any kits that are recommended for beginners? Seem to be quite a few around; which company provides a good beginners kit for a good price? 

AaronTT said:
How hard is it for someone new to create their first brew? Can a newbie create a beer for the first that is at least 7%?

The higher the ABV, the more things you need to do right to get the yeasties to finish it out ...

It's going to only be a good choice as a first batch if you are willing to do everything required, including provide the proper temp for ferm, provide nutrients, get the wort oxygenated enough, and have a good high pitching rate (which means having made a starter, for the most part) ...

So, you'll need more equipment to brew your first, but it can be reasonable enough ...
And, FWIW ... I'm really down on kits having just brewed a handful of them myself, and having started tctenten, who then started D3 (and I coached him through it) similarly ...

You are going to cross every real-life bridge, you might as well just do it from the start and set up the right habits, IMHO ...

grantmichaels said:

The higher the ABV, the more things you need to do right to get the yeasties to finish it out ...

It's going to only be a good choice as a first batch if you are willing to do everything required, including provide the proper temp for ferm, provide nutrients, get the wort oxygenated enough, and have a good high pitching rate (which means having made a starter, for the most part) ...

So, you'll need more equipment to brew your first, but it can be reasonable enough ...

And, FWIW ... I'm really down on kits having just brewed a handful of them myself, and having started tctenten, who then started D3 (and I coached him through it) similarly ...

You are going to cross every real-life bridge, you might as well just do it from the start and set up the right habits, IMHO ...
Do you mean kits as in equipment, or in ingredients? Are kits in terms of equipment worth purchasing, or should one just piece meal it together?

AaronTT said:
Do you mean kits as in equipment, or in ingredients? Are kits in terms of equipment worth purchasing, or should one just piece meal it together?

I think equipment kits are fine, probably ... I mean kit beers that don't inform you of the yeast being used, or what the grain mixture is ...

The instructions are meant to make it seem like it's easy - to entice people to take the plunge, no doubt - and I think it sets up a falsehood ...

They act like the temp doesn't matter, they don't let on how quickly light will skunk the beer, and that the oxygen with all of the transfers will too, and perhaps the most offensive thing ... they don't even both to address checking the gravity before and after, so you have no idea if you are making bottle bombs or not ...

grantmichaels said:

I think equipment kits are fine, probably ... I mean kit beers that don't inform you of the yeast being used, or what the grain mixture is ...

The instructions are meant to make it seem like it's easy - to entice people to take the plunge, no doubt - and I think it sets up a falsehood ...

They act like the temp doesn't matter, they don't let on how quickly light will skunk the beer, and that the oxygen with all of the transfers will too, and perhaps the most offensive thing ... they don't even both to address checking the gravity before and after, so you have no idea if you are making bottle bombs or not ...

lol I see what you mean. I take it from experience you have made a few bottle bombs yourself? I've done that with hot sauce. Opened one that was still fermenting and it popped in my face. At least it didn't get in my eyes surprisingly. Any recommendation on companies who supply equipment and the ingredients? Or ones to avoid?

I don't have a local HBS, so I have to source online ...

MoreBeer, Adventure in Homebrewing, and Northern Brewer/Midwest (same parent co at this point, foreign owned I believe),

There's a lot, but those are bigguns ...

Northern Brewer is my favorite to get kits from, they sell great equipment kits as well, and have a 20% off going right now for the next day

Doing a big beer isnt as problematic as grant is making it, just buy extra yeast and overpitch

you dont even need to worry about nutrients or any of that jazz

You want to do a big-ish beer for your first one

1. Buy this for equipment - http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit

And choose the Chinook IPA kit

You wanna jump up the ABV, add a pound of table sugar half way through the boil, straight house hold sugar, it will get rid of your attenuation issues you might have, and still make higher ABV

Also, buy a pack of Safale US-05, and when you pitch your yeast, just sprinkle the packet right on top of the beer once its cooled. No need for a starter, as those packs are already overpitching as it is

And then find bottles to throw it in, or you can keg it instead

done and done

Thanks for the assistance!
grantmichaels said:
I don't have a local HBS, so I have to source online ...

MoreBeer, Adventure in Homebrewing, and Northern Brewer/Midwest (same parent co at this point, foreign owned I believe),

There's a lot, but those are bigguns ...

wheebz said:
Northern Brewer is my favorite to get kits from, they sell great equipment kits as well, and have a 20% off going right now for the next day

Doing a big beer isnt as problematic as grant is making it, just buy extra yeast and overpitch

you dont even need to worry about nutrients or any of that jazz

You want to do a big-ish beer for your first one

1. Buy this for equipment - http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit

And choose the Chinook IPA kit

You wanna jump up the ABV, add a pound of table sugar half way through the boil, straight house hold sugar, it will get rid of your attenuation issues you might have, and still make higher ABV

Also, buy a pack of Safale US-05, and when you pitch your yeast, just sprinkle the packet right on top of the beer once its cooled. No need for a starter, as those packs are already overpitching as it is

And then find bottles to throw it in, or you can keg it instead

done and done
I took a look at this kit and I like that both fermentation vessels are glass, as opposed to plastic. Nice and the price looks reasonable considering what your getting.

Back