beer ASK WHEEBZ

Yep that will be good.

And each yeast will do different things. With saisons there are a bunch of ways to do them. I like french saisons.

Ozzy2001 said:
Sounds good. Is this something that some fruit flavoring would be good in, or would that be too much?
WLP644 it is.
What kind of starter will I need to make with an already fermented batch too?
There is also a WLP650. Not sure if there is much difference.
These questions got missed on my sour batch. Gonna order the yeast later this week along with some other stuff.

i cant figure out what beer you were talking about anymore

as far as starter, make it like you would any starter

the brett vials you get from white labs actually have 1/3 the normal cell count as your regular pitchables, so a normal prop will get you to right where you want to be for a second pitch

there is a huge difference in 644 and 650

644 is actually a sacc strain that they mislabeled, wyeast ldid the same thing

650 is a mildly horsey farmhouse characteristic, while you will get none of that from 644 at all

wheebz said:
i cant figure out what beer you were talking about anymore

It was a summer solstice clone attempt that Labs got ahold of. It was at 5.0 PH so you recommended throwing some Greek yogurt and Brett brux into it for 5-6 weeks.

What about adding fruit after the Brett does its thing like raspberries. Would that be too much going on?

Ozzy2001 said:
Thank you very much Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Me either. It was boring to dump the barleywine ...

Actually, also, I have a feeling I probably could have just added a half-dozen shots of bourbon to the keg and drank it ... after having Backwoods Bastard.

Ozzy2001 said:
Pretty good description of that bastard.

I'm not sure there was really anything wrong in particular with that batch, but, it turned my stomach after a few oz's ...

If I didn't know that there's sugar in Belgian's and that Wheebz rocks some table sugar when appropriate, I'd be inclined to blame the table sugar component for setting the ferm off on a weird trajectory ...

I can say with certainty that that beer didn't hide it's alcohol content, like my latest batch ... that IPA is the most immensely quaffable big beer I've ever enjoyed.

My recipe was to make an 8.2% beer, setup for the 55% efficiency I was getting for dark-colored beers, but overachieved that and hit 9.5%, and then the ice-beer factor took it up to like 11-12% ...

At that strength it's on par alcohol-wise with the Founders Triple Dancer, but mine is considerably nicer to drink (perhaps from not having distro-delay/decay?) ... and, in fact, it tastes pretty damn similar to the Evil Twin Citra Sunshine Slacker, which is only like 4.5% if I recall ...

It's the 1st beer that I want to drink as much, or more, than a big stout ... too bad there's probably only like a gallon and a half left, already, because the ice-loss was significant ...

So, yeah, I'll be brewing a nice big batch of IPA to split-down as my first batch through the big kettle ...

:cheers:

Ask Wheebz

Ok...totally newb attempt at a Toffee Vanilla Porter recipe.  Am I even close?  Any pointers/direction would be much appreciated.  

6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.6 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.6 %
1 lbs Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.3 %
12.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.0 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 2.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -

Planning to do vanilla bean in the secondary

That's a bad recipe.

Doing this from my phone so excuse my typing, oh and kinda drunk

82 to 85 percent of your grain bill should be marries otter/base malt

You only need one type of crystal, the usual is 60, and it is around 6% for this beer

Chocolate malt at 4%, debittered black malt at 3%, and you might want to add in 4 or 5 percent of flaked something or other. Possibly barley.

You would also want to do just one half ounce hop addition at the beginning of the boil. No others. This isn't an American style porter

Also, you could possibly use 2 vanilla beans and 2 ounces of cacao nibs per 5 gallons if you wanted to dona cappuccino porter that tastes a lot like a toffee porter

That recipe I may or may not have made before and had great success with.

Just sayin

wheebz said:
That's a bad recipe.

Doing this from my phone so excuse my typing, oh and kinda drunk

82 to 85 percent of your grain bill should be marries otter/base malt

You only need one type of crystal, the usual is 60, and it is around 6% for this beer

Chocolate malt at 4%, debittered black malt at 3%, and you might want to add in 4 or 5 percent of flaked something or other. Possibly barley.

You would also want to do just one half ounce hop addition at the beginning of the boil. No others. This isn't an American style porter

Also, you could possibly use 2 vanilla beans and 2 ounces of cacao nibs per 5 gallons if you wanted to dona cappuccino porter that tastes a lot like a toffee porter

That recipe I may or may not have made before and had great success with.

Just sayin
Sounds fantastic. Thank you very much.

Research why I said the things I did. Figure out recommended grain percentages for certain styles of beer. Figure out what each malt adds to flavor and color and mouthfeel. Then tell me why your recipe doesn't work for a flavored porter

wheebz said:
Research why I said the things I did. Figure out recommended grain percentages for certain styles of beer. Figure out what each malt adds to flavor and color and mouthfeel. Then tell me why your recipe doesn't work for a flavored porter

Wheebz…I have been trying to do this for my first non-kit beer.  Do you recommend a particular website or forum to read and learn from?  I do not mind putting the time into it.  

wheebz said:
I was worried about the MO being too low because of not having enough sugars to extract. I'll make sure to keep that percentage higher in the future.

The reason I had the 2 different caramels was to get color and try to get the caramel toffee taste. I wasn't sure if this should go as an English brown porter which I kind of assumed, or as a robust porter.
The chocolate malt will achieve that coffee/somewhat toffee taste too and get the color darker to fit the robust type. It will also help with the creaminess of the mouthfeel which this brew should probably have.
I assume to lower the hops to keep it sweeter and to not take away from the caramel/choc smell.

Am I close?

Also what mash temp would you recommend? 152-154ish?

RocketMan said:
Now you just have to research all those other malts to see what their intent is :)

Isn't life grand, always something new to learn!
I've read the 1 line descriptions as seen on here
http://momalt.com/wp-content/catalog/stockedmaltshoneysugarspices.pdf

And learning about this stuff is one of the best parts. Lol I've drank so much damn beer and never knew what made it. It's a lot of fun to be able to make stuff tht you can enjoy so much.

Back