• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aus newbie q's

Except for three of my plants being munched by some bstrd bug I'm doing fine with good growth happening.

A question I have is how should I water/fert my plants now that the weathers heading towards 100f+ days?

I've started to water the plants each morning before a really hot day where as before I was watering once a week. And if I'm watering the plants every other day in hot weather should I increase the feeds also as I figure it will get washed out of the soil easier and there might be more growth going on.

What do you guys do?

FadeToBlack said:
Very nice looking plants Timmy.
Is that measuring tape in cm or in?

BTW some of my plants have that purple tint to some of the stems,
I think that may be normal. (I hope)

Purpling of the stems is usually a nutrient deficiency indicator. This dose not mean feed the plant more, in most cases it is the PH in which is locking out certain nutes causing the colouring.
What PH are you running ?
Here is a chart to help.
1_ph_range.jpg

My ph is around the high 6 area and nearly hitting 7 in some of the pots. I'm trying to keep the ph around 6.5 or slightly above that.

We had a 40c day last week and my jolokia dropped all its peppers :( but they were tinny and its still covered in flowers so sht happens.

dec09strt003.jpg

All the other plants have recovered from being eaten and seem to be really healthy now with lots of new growth.

dec09strt002.jpg

dec09strt001.jpg

I have one jolokia pepper still on the plant after it dropped a good 30+. It's going to be a little narly pepper if it grows out.

I'm happy everythings starting to grow. I can nearly see a difference in the plants every day now so thier growing fast. I haven't tiped the plants this year so they aren't as thick as last years plants.

Looks like I might actually have peppers soon :)

The fatali's are going really well. I took a photo for Neil the other day to show him I actually had a healthy Fatali lol not easy in the aussie weather.

The very last picture has the Fatali placed on the left closest to the camera. Thats the 1 year old crapper and the second pic has the other fatali thats new stock on the far right. Both are healthy but I think the newest one is healthier than the oldy.

Hope Neil hasn't done the fatali sauce yet I was going to do the vid with him, just haven't had time to get down there yet.

Good to hear about the Fatali's, i have a couple going. The one from the Fatalii contest (~9 months old) started producing flowers not long ago. I too cannot wait for fresh pods!

I think I'm a bit to excited lol

I can't really remember what they taste like hahaha, I can easily recall how painfull they are but thats for sure.

I was thinking of making a choc bhut, Fatalli passion fruit sauce for icecream this year :)

The passion fruit would go really well with the choc habs, i too cannot remember the flavour of Fatalii :cry:

So I'm thinking this isn't a fatali anymore?

dec6th009.jpg

fatalinot.jpg

All peppers look like the second pic, none of the peppers on the plant are facing down.

And another freak pepper off the dorset plant

dorsetnot.jpg

The dorset seems to have lots of different pod shapes.

dorsetnot2.jpg

And the last pic is of the choc bhut :)

dec6th011.jpg

The bih has hundreds of flowers but seems to drop them once peppers start to form.

g'day fellow chilli heads... am hoping for a bit of advice:

I recently bought a mini greenhouse and some seed starter mix, and planted some naga's, trinidad scoprions, birdseye's (from paddys market that had dried), and jalepeno's seeds from my old man.

that was 3 1/2 weeks ago, and so far nothing:
I went digging around in some of the mini trays and the seeds are still there, but the bottom of the trays is like mud – im afraid ive overwatered.

With the recent hot weather syd has been having i wanted to keep the seed starter mix moist. It seems ok up the top, but wet at the bottom.

is there a way to dry it out abit ?
should i start again?

Also i leave the mini greenhouse on the window sill in the sun. It gets up above 40deg during the day (have a cheap mini thermometer in there - same as the strip thermometer one i use in homebrew ;P ). I know seeds need heat for germination - Is it possible for it to be TOO hot?

Gday Bennoz, you will get a much better response with your own thread !
Yes it is possible to be too hot. above about 35C the plant begins to stunt growth. If your seedlings are exposed , they dont have the same coping mechanisms a developed plant have and may cause damage or death.
Find some shade out side for late arvo, that gets light in morning, let em dry out alittle by watching over next day or two, untill you see wilt then water again, and see how they go..

have they sprouted ? how big ?
Id say start a thread though ;)

:welcome: to the forum by the way !

For whatever reason I've never been able to germinate a seed in dirt, only cotton wool or wet paper towel.

I have a real big problem with wilting in my plants. The large bih does it nearly every day now, the soil feels moist but it wilts. If i don't water it it won't recover even though the soil is fairly damp.

Now that my other plants are hitting the 800m mark thier also starting to do it.

The bih is getting too much sun I guess so I want to move it but last time I did that it dropped every flower and chilli. The other plants only get late afternoon sun and not much either so I'm a bit lost. The choc bhut hasn't recovered after wilting for the first time at the start of the week with its upper branches still hanging.

More pepper pic's on the way as they seemed to have doubled in size in like three days :)

Back