• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aus newbie q's

How do chili's ripen? What will make them click.

Have lots now on the plants but nothings changing. Can you pick them and then make them ripen after?

My cayenne peppers started to ripen and instantly went rotten at the same time. 1/3 green, 1/3 red and the rest was brown mush.

I doubt its the Ph, they dont seem ti be showing any signs of nutrient imbalance. If you do want to get a kit though, they are $10 from bunnings, and are somewhat accurate. You can pay as much as you like really, but the cheap ones should do the trick.

Google "Ph readers" and read what comes up, and also read about the relationship between nutrient imbalance and Ph. Is interesting in our soils.

thanks mcgoo

Both the fatali and naga have started to come back a bit. My guess it's too late now but as there only 150-200mm tall. If I got one pepper off each of them I would be happier.

POTAWIE said:
Ethylene gas is a natural ripening agent that will make then click

Im a small part confident that chillies dont respond to ethylene gas, I think I saw it in a post somewhere a while ago.

Peppers don't give off a lot of ethylene compared to apples and tomatoes but chilis certainly will ripen/rot quicker with ethylene

So I found out what makes a pepper ripen.

Post the question "How do peppers ripen" then bamm they start to the next day. Not too sure still how it worked before THP was created.

Untitled-TrueColor-01-2.jpg

Lots of leaves are falling off this plant now I hope thats normal. The plant has kicked in to gear and has lots of pods on it now.:)

Hi Timmmmy :) they will take off (watch the Bih go now), just watch the watering as a tendancy to overwater happens so just do as recommended here and all goood.. and the O Hab looks Great

when ya comming down again, was fun burning Dave last time :D

hey McGoo what i have round is 20 ltr containers with a hose nipple on the tap outlet, then normal garden hose or 13mm black off the nipple and any drip attachment,, put the hose along a line of plants then put a drip attachment or 2 near the base of each plant(stuck in bottom of hose, not top),, then just fill the 20 ltr container and then the drippers drip by gravity.. ill take pics tomorrow of a couple of diff types for ya

Hey neil will come down soon for sure. lol have you got any of those " it's a pretty mild pepper" ie trinidad scorpions to give to Dave again lol Poor guy was hurting "sht I only brought a litre of milk with me ahhhhhhh" hehehehe

I've been trying to eat lots of hot stuff lately to get ready for the Bih's heat but after having one of my hab peppers the other day I'm thinking they will go straight into a sauce.

Will be checking out your youtube channel more often now that you have fresh pods:)

Peruvian white Habanero

the plant is covered with peppers. Haven't had one yet but has a rating of 300,000+ shu so should be good for the next sauce.

habpicking001.jpg

Have been pulling off heeps of orange habs and a few of the p.w's. There's at least the same number of peppers on the orange hab plant as in the photo so I will be making some more sauce soon.

The orange hab looks like it's running out of steam with the leaves starting to die off. I have been picking as many of the peppers as I can each day to try and help it out a bit.

So when it comes to winter could I try to move my plants in and put them under lights?

I have some T5 aquarium lights sitting around which add up to around 120W. Would these be enough. If not I won't bother but seeing that my plants are in pots I have the option I guess.

Well I'm still lovin my peppers and I'm starting to build up a nice collection of plants for this season.

My 1 year old bih just won't stop producing peppers. I'm continually chopping off the new buds as they seem to be skipping the flower stage and going straight to bonsia style peppers 5-7mm fully ripe lol

DSCF1949.jpg

Two choc bhut's and a fatali, the fatali and the small bhut are Hippy's cuttings (Thanks DUDE!!!)

DSCF1948.jpg

More cuttings from Neil :)

On the left two yellow 7 pots and the two on the right are scorpian's. I had a try of Niels scorp's last year and they were trippy to say the least. Absolutely insane all body rush straight up I was a bit worried about driving home afterwards lol

DSCF1947.jpg

And believe it or not heres my one year old fatali and dorset that just did nothing last year. They seem to be growing already and have lots of new growth starting to really kick off

DSCF1946.jpg

So far :

2 fatali's
2 choc bhuts
1 dorset
1 bih jolokia
2 yellow 7pot
2 scorpian

Come on summer :)

So when is the start of the Aussie growing season? Months ago?

I just put heeps of seeds in yesterday and I'm wondering if its too late?

Back