• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Bad Sauce

What sauces have you tried and then regretted it?

The ones that truly failed to excite your tastebuds.

For me its a Chinese product under the brand name Lee Kum Kee www.lkk.com

They produce this stuff called "Fine Chilli Sauce"

The contents are listed as Salted Peppers (48%) and salt, and the rest is fillers and flavours. Oh and more salt (salted Plums).

This sauce has no real burn to it. Its so mild you could feed it to babies by the spoonful - however it is very very salty.

I was hoping for something with more kick than a sweet chilli sauce, but this is more of a caress than a kick.

Available throughout Australian and NZ supermarkets. Possibly other places worldwide.

unfortunately - Cholula Hot Sauce.

I was obsessed with getting a bottle of this and when I did I was very very disappointed.

also I think most of the extracts are extremely disappointing due to their metallic burnt cat hair taste.

A lot actually. many sauces were discussed here as "wonderful" and "amazing", but failed to please me. most were ok, but when I buy a sauce I'm not looking for "ok". My own sauces are WAY better than most. not many are the sauces I actually liked.

I tried one of the few hot sauces made in Germany. It was actually the first I believe. It's called STINGER, a habanero based sauce. The heat is okay, but the taste is unbearable in my opinion.

Keep in mind though, that just because one or two members don't like a sauce, others might still love it.

chilliman64 said:

I was obsessed with getting a bottle of this and when I did I was very very disappointed.

also I think most of the extracts are extremely disappointing due to their metallic burnt cat hair taste.

I actually like the flavor..but it is lacking in the heat department. You would think they would put a bit more pequins to jack it up. I keep a bottle of it around for wimps when they visit.

Cheers, TB.

POTAWIE said:
I haven't liked any of Blair's hot sauces. The worst for me was the one with ginsing
I like Pure Death and Original/Muerte, and his Jalapeno and Sweet Death. That said, i have not bought ANY Blair's product since making my own.

The worst i've ever had was Mad Dog 357. It was absolutely unpalatable and i was sick for about an hour because of it. 2nd worst was Tiger Sauce. It's basically crappy hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce and it's just pitiful.

A fresh made sauce is far more satisfying than a store bought sauce.

Hmmm... the ingredients list:

"Chile extract, fresh Habanero peppers, 160,000 scoville super Cayenne peppers, garlic and onion"

Extracts seem to indicate a big tick in the bad sauce column.

chilliman64 said:

to each their own, I'll agree its not a very hot sauce but has some zing & decent flavor (dont care for their garlic flavor brand). I'd take this anyday over tabasco sauce (regular brand)

Omri said:
A lot actually. many sauces were discussed here as "wonderful" and "amazing", but failed to please me. most were ok, but when I buy a sauce I'm not looking for "ok". My own sauces are WAY better than most. not many are the sauces I actually liked.

if I remember right, you dont have many hot sauces for sale where you are & need to ship them to you. so I know you wouldnt want to buy "ok" sauces - it'd be a waste of your $

you do make your own hot sauces, why not share them (show) here, you might have an interesting ingredient list that someone might like but never thought of before.

Chiliac said:
Keep in mind though, that just because one or two members don't like a sauce, others might still love it.

ditto!! everyone has different tastebuds.

I'd also say I stay away from your basic louisana/tabasco style of sauces that have alot of the cheap tasting vinegar.
I know others still use that cheap vinegar but not the ammount as those types of sauces.

I also stay away from extract sauces, I look at the ingredients before buying (I know what I like & dont like)
so I've been pretty decent as for not buying completely nasty sauces, yes some are just "ok" & get some that are like tabasco style by accident but still ok, nothing along the lines of "OMG I cant even eat this sauce or finish it"

chilehunter said:
if I remember right, you dont have many hot sauces for sale where you are & need to ship them to you. so I know you wouldnt want to buy "ok" sauces - it'd be a waste of your $
Yep, last one cost me $32. :!:
Shipping is the only reason I never had Defcon sauces. :D

omri - you posted before I edited my post, read that.
hey I'm the edit king :lol:

$32 for 1 bottle of sauce ? :D
I'd also like to try some hot sauces from these aussies folks here & elsewhere but the shipping costs scare me, & when theres still plenty of other hot sauces I havent even tried yet from the usa, I'll buy these 1st because shipping is less.

chilehunter said:
omri - you posted before I edited my post, read that.
hey I'm the edit king

$32 for 1 bottle of sauce ?
I'd also like to try some hot sauces from these aussies folks here & elsewhere but the shipping costs scare me, & when theres still plenty of other hot sauces I havent even tried yet from the usa, I'll buy these 1st because shipping is less.
lol, just read it. :lol:
mmm... well I am still perfecting my oh so wonderful and *few* sauces, but when I'll finally be pleased with them, I'll ship ya samples. ;)
I can tell ya I figured out I don't like cooking the sauces. roasting, smoking or doing some form of "cooking" to some of the ingredients is ok, but not the entire sauce.

Anyway, if my memory serves me right, Defcon wanted $40 shipping on a $25 order. :D
They sound amazing, but I ain't gonna pay that much for shipping. shipping fees are pure EVIL!

Omri said:
Don't forget the extract! :D

But maybe the person that filled up the bottle was a hardcore chilli eater so that's where the extract came in. I'll have to try some of Blair's stuff sometime, the extract puts me off though.

Back