• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Beautiful purple pods

Quick reply:
I usually like to grow crosses out for 6 to 8+ generations for 99+% purity.

I have not tried these peppers yet, they are not even close to ripe.

This year I started with about 40-50 f2 plants but have only saved the best 20 or so to continue with.

Last year's f1s were all the same and sort of dissapointing

Potawie's "chinese 5 color X whippet's tail" f1 2010

Aug 25 033 by potawie, on Flickr

Derek, you are becoming "the master breeder"...keep it up man, I envy you....

If it was BS, I would be calling it "purple fang" the hottest pepper in the world :lol:

The pods started out purple, now I'm just waiting to see what happens from here
Thanks everyone for all the positive comments

Wow, they START purple? Now, if they turn to blue, you'll be a gazillionairre!
Chile-heads have been after a blue pod for ages, but I don't think it'll ever happen without genetic modification.

The pods actually have a little yellow/green to them when the first sprout but very quickly turn purple, and this is typical of true purple pod varieties(not just anthocyanin sun-tan)

Chile-heads have been after a blue pod for ages, but I don't think it'll ever happen without genetic modification.

The pods actually have a little yellow/green to them when the first sprout but very quickly turn purple, and this is typical of true purple pod varieties(not just anthocyanin sun-tan)

May as well go for glow-in-the-dark if you're going down that path:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast01jun_1/

I once worked with a guy who would not eat anything blue. He said that no real food is blue. I asked him about blueberries, but never got a straight answer.
He loved M&Ms and frequently visited the M&M dispenser in my office and ate about half of them. One day I filled it with all blue M&Ms. He walked in for his usual visit and turned right around and walked away. Saved a small fortune in candy from that point on. :)

Blue/purple/black fruits and veggies have anthocyanin which is a great antioxidant. The problem with purple chiles is that most people do not eat the peppers in their under-ripe purple stage(although I think there may be a few varieties that ripen to purple/black). I wonder if there is still any antioxidants when they mature to red (or other colors)?

Nice POTAWIE, if they go through the color changes of the Chinese 5 color that would be super. :)

The Pimenta de Neyde is the only one I know of that starts out purple and remains purple even when ripe.

I admire the patience it takes to stabilize a new pepper. Best of luck to you Potawie, looks like you're on the right track.

Wow... damn, those things look good. They remind me of cayenne peppers, but not just any cayenne peppers. Their purple color is actually very nice looking, and I'm not a fan of the color purple. That's a very nice looking pepper you have there. Good luck on stabilizing it.

Very impressive looking chilli pepper!

When you cross a chilli do you get different pod colour traits on a single plant like in the photo, or are they just in different stages of ripening?

Back