Beer Here

I'll get up and check Beersmith for deets in s bit ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455323509.091315.jpg

=)

Thanks Grant and Wheebz.

Measured out what my brew pot is for 2,3 and 4 gallons. I want to try and correct my water issues from last brew. Going to take 3.75 gallons into the boil for what is hopefully a 2.5 gallon batch of fermentable wort.

Sounds about right to me - probably half boil off and half hops/trub/chilling/cake ...

If anything, you'll have extra - not under, I think ...

yea whirlpooling through a recirc is the way that you want to do it if you can

I always whirlpooled for 2 minutes on my large systems, and then cut it off and let it settle for 20 minutes before cool-in

Some of the grains measured out.

IMG_6313.JPG

The mash in.

IMG_6314.JPG

Even though it took almost 2 weeks, I really like the way Nothern Brewer packs the grains in the resealable labeled pouches.  I threw 1 gram of calcium chloride into the mash to hopefully lower the mash ph.  

Post mash results

IMG_6315.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

One looks a little high, one looks a little low.  I will take it.  Brix 15.  I would up with the right amount of wort too going into the boil.  

Good shit ... you are a point above the pre-boil target, which is good shit ...
That is the pre-boil gravity, right? ... the OG is 17P ...

You got 2 extra points of gravity, so you must be getting a much better efficiency than 60% ... which is cool ...

Probably from the sparging being much more efficient being plain water than what I get recirc wort ...

wheebz said:
wait what do you mean grant?

You mean you dont sparge?

my bigger rig is designed for a mash tun and sparging ...

the indoor rig doesn't work that way due to how it's designed, even with propping up the modified basket and rinsing it w/ the recirculating liquor it's not equivalent to rinsing the grain bed with plain, slightly warmer water ...

I'm getting more gravity than I was when I couldn't even prop it up, but not as good as I'd get if I was sparging with fresh water, I theorize ...

One of the things I intentionally corrected for my larger volume setup ... I'm like 1/3 of the way to "sparging" in my kitchen ...

If I retain sparge water, I can't get the grains wet effectively in terms of the height the basket rides in the bigger pot, because the element and bazooka are below it and space is cramped as fuck in a 24 quart kettle ...

Milestone reached.  First keg is killed.  It is pretty good timing as Wheebz porter should be ready for bottle/keg this weekend.  

Is it best to use the one-step cleaner that I use on brew days to clean the keg?

tctenten said:
Milestone reached.  First keg is killed.  It is pretty good timing as Wheebz porter should be ready for bottle/keg this weekend.  

Is it best to use the one-step cleaner that I use on brew days to clean the keg?

I'm a PBW guy ...

Wheebz doesn't clean his except water, I think ...

Back