Beer Here

tctenten said:
Then I plan to try and do a 2 or 3 gallon batch early next year.  Not sure if I will ever get up to a 5 gallon brew for a few reasons.  Just more crap I have to store, and it may just be more beer than I need.  

I remember saying that ...

In hindsight, I'm happy with my arsenal of 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs, but you'll want to setup for brewing a decent sized batch, and to have extra room in said equipment so as not to be working near capacity - which sucks, royally.

Split-batches are where it's at for me, brew a big batch of wort, divide it up and do variants on it ...

cleaning the room ajdacent to my grow room for doing some brewing... does the whole room have to be super sterile? I mean it's not filthy or anything but it is adjacent to my grow room and currently there's a few bags of dirt and paint supplies in there. I bought a 4 pack of grohl (spelling) when i was at liquor store because it had the stopper swing lids. Figured I could reuse them in the future. They are green though not amber. 

D3monic said:

Yummy, I love wheats and IPAs.  I hit the local liquor store today hoping to snag some 3 floyds but they was all out. They said it is usually sold out within a few hours of delivery. Some time this winter (probably after xmas) I'll be sure to send you and grant a few bottles from them to try. Their wheat beer Gumball head and the IPA Zombie dust are really good. 

The Gumball Head is well-regarded, but I haven't had ...
D3monic said:
cleaning the room ajdacent to my grow room for doing some brewing... does the whole room have to be super sterile? I mean it's not filthy or anything but it is adjacent to my grow room and currently there's a few bags of dirt and paint supplies in there. 

The shit that touches the liquid after the boil will need to be sanitized ... which is in between clean and sterilized ...

grantmichaels said:

The Gumball Head is well-regarded, but I haven't had ...

The shit that touches the liquid after the boil will need to be sanitized ... which is in between clean and sterilized ...

Ok, I figured I'd do most that stuff in the kitchen and just store the ferments or what ever you call it in the basement. Maybe I will just do it on another side of the basement away from the grow room so there's no light pollution. 

D3monic said:

Ok, I figured I'd do most that stuff in the kitchen and just store the ferments or what ever you call it in the basement. Maybe I will just do it on another side of the basement away from the grow room so there's no light pollution. 

A good thing to figure out is what you temps are like throughout the day, hi/low/diff ...

grantmichaels said:

That's nice ...

You can probably ferm in the open room-space in that case ...

The stuff dreams are made of ...

yea basements are great for stable cooler temps.. a luxury i'm sure most in florida live without... understandably. My humidity down there is usually between 50-60% depending if i'm running the dehumidifier or not. Wife bitches constantly about the electric bill so been only running it a day a week. 

D3monic said:

yea basements are great for stable cooler temps.. a luxury i'm sure most in florida live without... understandably. My humidity down there is usually between 50-60% depending if i'm running the dehumidifier or not. Wife bitches constantly about the electric bill so been only running it a day a week. 

They'd be under water here, LOL ...

D3monic said:
That is what I am doing with this batch. I wrapped an old shirt around the fermentation jar, just to block the little ambient light that is down there

IMG_6192.JPG

Mid-boil on the summer wheat.  Gravity after mash Brix 9.5  and 1.037.  This is supposed to have 5%ABV. 

grantmichaels said:
Nice ... 3rd batch, right? ...

Yes sir.  I did switch the blow-off tube for an air lock on the stout that I made saturday.  There seems to be no activity at all.  I am going to let it go for the full two weeks before bottling.  When should I start taking gravity readings?  I will make sure to use the hydrometer this time instead of the refractometer.   

tctenten said:

Yes sir.  I did switch the blow-off tube for an air lock on the stout that I made saturday.  There seems to be no activity at all.  I am going to let it go for the full two weeks before bottling.  When should I start taking gravity readings?  I will make sure to use the hydrometer this time instead of the refractometer.   

Don't take multiple readings ... just let it go until it's time, then take a verification reading before bottling ...

OK….brew day is done.  D3 it took me a little more than 4 hours.   

Post boil gravity readings   Brix 13   1.051.

Rocketman's Mead on the left.  Oatmeal Stout in the middle.  Summer Wheat on the right.  Not pictured the bottled Blackberry Ale.

IMG_6194.JPG

IMG_6195.JPG

tctenten said:

Nice ...

Wheebz going to need to hire a 2nd expert just to answer all the questions ...

LOL.

grantmichaels said:

Nice ...

Wheebz going to need to hire a 2nd expert just to answer all the questions ...

LOL.

Haha.  I am leaving him alone…for now.  Until I have some real technical questions.   I feel like it would be asking Michaelangelo how to finger paint at this point.

I was out of yeast and I want to finish up the Maple porter kit this weekend.  I did a bit of research and I just ordered some Nottingham yeast.  I am sure mistakes are and will continue to be made for awhile.  I am ok with that.  

Back