• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Brekkie Sammie Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your neighborhood Beer/Submarine sandwich store don't have no Bear Claws in a plastic case?

What's next... No more Hot Nachos with a cheese squirt, chili and Jap wheels?

Ha! Nope. Walked into Dunkin' Doughnuts and pulled a young girl (the young ones speak English) to the side to ask if they had Bear Claws. She looked at me with a WTF face. She then pulled an older lady over and asked her in espanish. The older lady spoke directly to me in espanish. Luckily there was a guy next to me that translated some long-winded sentence into "no, they don't have them."

Nor does the Publix I shop at.

I didn't even think to hit up the 7-Eleven at the corner.

BACONANA BAGELS

Maple Chili Glazed Walnut Bagels

1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp honey

1 cup wheat flour
6 cups white flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
Walnuts, smashed

Mix together, water, yeast, oil, syrup, honey and brown sugar. Add wheat, salt, cinnamon then mix again. Add half the flour and start to knead. Gradually add more flour as needed. Knead for 10 minutes. Add walnuts to the dough and knead for a minute more to mix through.

Rest the dough. DIvide into equal portions. Approx 8. Roll into long logs.... then connect ends to form bagel shape.

Boil large pot of water, throw in some brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Once boiling drop bagels in and remover once they are floating. Drain/dry. Then place in oven 220deg celsius for approx 20 minutes.

Remove and glaze with maple chili glaze.

Glaze consists of melted butter, slap ya mama powder, thai chilli and a little brown sugar. Simmered then bought to boil and poured over bagel.

Banana Pastry Cream

2 cups milk
1/4 cup white sugar
2 egg yolks and 1 egg
1/4 cup cornflour
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 over ripe bananas

In a saucepan mix milk and the 1/4 cup of sugar. Bring to boil.

In a bowl mix the egg yolks and egg. Add 1/4 cup sugar and cornflour and mix.

Once milk had boiled add slowly to the egg mix, while continuing to stir, so not to heat the egg mix too much. Once mixed return to heat and thicken.

Once thickened add butter and vanilla extract, mix, and then chill until ready to use.

To build. Slice bagel. Add banana cream top and bottom of bagel. Fry up some bacon and place on bottom half of bagel. Top bagel back on top. Enjoy!!!!

SDC11806.JPG

SDC11810.JPG

Dayummmmmmmmmmmmmm homemade brioche, then bagels? Ya'll Aussies after my heart? BOOM! A!

Keep them coming! This is now epic status!

Merry Chrismakkah!

The Claw of the Bear that bit You.

IMG_5387.jpg

Smash two southern style buscuits dough together, flatten, cut claws then deep fry. Coat with sugar after draining and resting.

IMG_5389.jpg

Slice that sucker in half and toss it in the toaster for a handfull of minutes.
Shmear on the whipped cream cheese generously. Don't be stingy now... and dust on some chipotle powder.

IMG_5390.jpg

Add the Lox and top with fresh-out-the-garden green onion.

IMG_5393.jpg

Oh boy... more epicness stop making this a hard decision!!!!!!!!!!!

I've updated my process pics to include the recipe for the brioche and the suace. Y'all know how to cook eggs n bacon so I left those out :D

Sum's looks a little like he was celebrating a new law in WA. :rofl:

The Claw of the Bear that bit You

Had to make my own bear claw for this one. Hit up a Dunkin' Doughnuts this morning looking for one... no dice. And no luck at my local supermarket either. So I had to improvise.

Bear Claw:
I used a pre-made biscuit dough [Southern Style] and smashed two of them together. Then flattened and cut out the toes. Deep fried in veg oil till golden brown. Drained and let rest before smothering it with sugar. Sliced it in half, tossed it in the toaster for a couple minutes, then added more sugar. [The toaster melted and caramelized the pre-toaster coat.]

Shmeared on a copious amount of whipped cream cheese on both pieces, dusted with a generous amount of chipotle powder, added the Lox [lightly smoked and salted wild salmon], and topped that off with fresh-out-the-garden green onion.

See my process.

IMG_5394.jpg

IMG_5396.jpg

Awesome.

Y'all are working WAAAAYYY to hard for a brekkie sammie!

Here's Salsalady's Super Simple Sunday Sammie-

Scrounged around in the fridge and here's what I came up with for ingredients-
bread, eggs, some Hatch Chiles (thank you, chileaddict!), SW spice blend 2 cheeses, onion, tomato, cold packed picked peppers
2012-12-09_095214.jpg

Threw a few eggs in a bowl with some turns of black pepper, a smidgen of Southwest Spice Mix, a dash of salt, and a skosh of parmesan cheese, a palm of minced onions (nuke the oni's to make them soft), and a generous strip of minced Hatch chile. Mixed it all up.
2012-12-09_095920.jpg

Greased the pan with a blob of butter, added the egg mixture and off to a medium heat oven for a while
2012-12-09_100340.jpg

When the eggs are baked, top with a fistful of shredded cheddar, and back into the oven to melt
2012-12-09_103816.jpg

Toast up some bread, smear with mayo, lay a chunk of the baked eggs and cheese on the toast and add a generous dollop of Sweet Spicy Girl hot sauce.
2012-12-09_104656.jpg

Top with a forkful of cold-packed pickled pepper relish and tomato slices, and slosh a ladle of beans&snausages on the side....just because they've been cooking all night and smell sooo good! Adjust everything on the plate just a hair, top off that orange juice beverage and ENJOY!

2012-12-09_104932.jpg

2012-12-09_104956.jpg

(That'll cure what ails ya! ;) )

Wow SL! Sounds like a good preggo combo. It looks great!!! Freaking A...... I am starving. My bowl of Life cereal apparently wasn't enough.

Y'all are working WAAAAYYY to hard for a brekkie sammie!

Here's a Super Simple Sunday Sammie-

Scrounged around in the fridge and here's what I came up with for ingredients-
bread, eggs, some Hatch Chiles (thank you, chileaddict!), SW spice blend 2 cheeses, Sweet Spicy Girl hot sauce, onion, tomato, cold packed picked peppers.

Threw a few eggs in a bowl with some turns of black pepper, a smidgen of Southwest Spice Mix, a dash of salt, and a skosh of parmesan cheese, a palm of minced onions (nuke the oni's to make them soft), and a generous strip of minced Hatch chile. Mixed it all up.

Greased the pan with a blob of butter, added the egg mixture and off to a medium heat oven for a while.

When the eggs are baked, top with a fistful of shredded cheddar, and back into the oven to melt.

Toast up some bread, smear with mayo, lay a chunk of the baked eggs and cheese on the toast and add a generous dollop of Sweet Spicy Girl hot sauce.

Top with a forkful of cold-packed pickled pepper relish and tomato slices, and slosh a ladle of beans&snausages on the side....just because they've been cooking all night and smell sooo good! Adjust everything on the plate just a hair, top off that orange juice beverage and ENJOY!

2012-12-09_104932.jpg

2012-12-09_104956.jpg

(That'll cure what ails ya! ;) )

Oh a quiche sammie this thing is getting good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back