• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Brekkie Sammie Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
not required, but do you have some prep pics?

Thanks for the compliment! Sorry, it didn't even occur to me to take some prep pics this time. I wasn't really kidding when I said I have a super busy weekend. I was initially thinking that if I didn't get my entry done today, it wasn't happening. I actually finished the cooking earlier, but wasn't able to finish the rest until tonight. hehe.

Dude...I've been SPAM'd before even taking my first pic.

Lol...

file-199.jpg

Key I would eat it. Looks good even for my preggo belly that hates most food now.
Gee I am confused but thats not hard to do.
SD good luck bud.
Everyone else get to it!!!!!!!!!!

OK, here goes... Stickman's Balkan Breakfast Blast...
SANY0263.jpg

Toast 2 slices of my homemade buttermilk/honey whole wheat bread, spread one slice with my Yucatan habanero sauce... Then spread homemade ajvar on both slices...
Hard fry two fresh eggs with salt, cumin powder and garlic powder on top...
Put a slice of white American cheeze on each slice of toast because nothing is as creamy and meltable...

Voila! This morning's brekkie sammie with a Mexican/Balkan fusion. With breakfast coffee, that's what I call an eye-opener!
SANY0271.jpg

Stickman, that DOES look good! But yes, you need to split out your post so that your formal entry post has a maximum of two pics.

Ok guys.... coffee's on.
P1010454.JPG

Yes, in a saucepan.

Stickman, that DOES look good! But yes, you need to split out your post so that your formal entry post has a maximum of two pics.

OK folks, thanks for the heads-up... I deleted one pic. Do I need to show the sammie cut open to show the filiing?

Hey stick, a lot of people use the cut open pic for they're final presentation pic, generally people want to see the "goods" So, in my opinion I would go for the cut pic.

By the way, it looks :) same to yours KBK +1 on what boss said, best ohe from you thus far :)

2 tablespoons of yeast to 3 cups of flour = unedible

Thanks habaneroheat81. Yours might be better if you don't do this^ (although I didn't notice it until it was mentioned.) Apparently the food I prepared required an expertise I did not provide.

The yeast amount was my fault. I altered the amount I thought I should put in based on previous breadmaking attempts. I didn't actually taste the bread before I assembled the final entry. However, I did taste the final entry, and I can say that I didn't really notice anything problematic about the final overall taste. Except perhaps that I generally don't eat eggs with all those things. It could be that the other ingredients masked the prescence, and since I didn't taste it beforehand it slipped past my notice. It probably would have anyway, but I do pay attention to the salt levels, so at least I do some sort of checking. If anyone knows a standard yeast flour ratio, fill free to let me know. Breadmaking is not something I regularly do.

Admittedly, TB does have a point though. I had some of the pita bread left over, and decided after I read the above comment to go back and tasted it again by itself. It did seem to taste a little more sharp and sourish than it probably should have.

I'll have to remember that if I use yeast in the future. Thanks for pointing that out!

More prep pics....

Made a crustless pumpkin pie last night, in addition to the pear bread
P1010452.JPG

Also made cheesecake, but the camera battery died, so no pics of that.

Here's the build:
Two slices of pear bread
P1010463.JPG

Spread some cheesecake on them (just a tad)
P1010464.JPG

And a slab o' pumpkin pie
P1010465.JPG

Lookin' pretty good so far, but we're not quite there yet
P1010466.JPG

Oh yeeaaaaaah..... coffee syrup
P1010458.JPG

Pie and Coffee

Pear Bread:
Flour, sugar, olive oil, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, congo trinidad powder, peeled, grated pears, coriander, nutmeg, mace.
Stir the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, stir the wet ingredients together, combine thoroughly and pour into two 8" baking pans, bake at 325F about an hour, until done in the center.

Pumpkin Pie:
Pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, salt, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, coriander, nutmeg, ancho chile powder.
Stir all ingredients together well. Pour into deep-dish pie pan, bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce to 350F for 50-60 minutes.

Cheesecake:
Cream cheese, eggs, sugar, grated lemon peel, whpping cream, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter.
Mix butter, sugar and graham cracker crumbs, press into bottom of springform pan. Bake at 350F about 7 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients, pour into springform pan, then bake until set, about an hour.

Coffee Syrup:
Strong-brewed coffee, sugar.
Combine in saucepan, bring to a boil then continue to boil about 15 minutes, stirring constantly.

Spread cheesecake on two slices of pear bread. Sandwich slice of pumpkin pie in between, then pour coffee syrup on top. Yes, you'll likely want a fork and knife for this one.

P1010467.JPG

P1010469.JPG

For a less-sweet version, I would recommend havarti or brie in place of the cheesecake.

Nice geeme and Stickman (Sicman with different name? I'm behind on the times...).

Actually, before I decided to make eggs, I was toying around with the idea of making a Tiramisu pie something. But I couldn't get that idea to sit correctly in my head. So I shelved it along with my Cobia Steak sandwich with Jalapeno Jelly and cucumbers, and went with Spam instead.

:D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back