• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Cheesy Weekend II

Status
Not open for further replies.
paulky_2000 said:

Pd4K095.jpg

:drooling:

Six Cheese Stuffed Shells

1 Box Jumbo Shells

16oz  Ricotta Cheese

Any Cheese you wanted to use would work , this is what I used this time.

1 1/2 cup grated Asiago
1 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 1/2 cup Gouda
1 1/2 cup  Fresh Mozzarella
1/2 cup Bellavitano Merlot ( this is a great cheese to snack on when you want something with a bit of extra flavor)
2 eggs
1 finely chopped jalapeno
salt/pepper/ Italian seasoning to taste
a healthy shake of mixed hot pepper flakes
just a touch of nutmeg
1/2 lb Italian sausage cooked/drained and crumbled ( I used hot this time, but any Italian sausage will work)
just enough heavy cream to help blend the mixture

Mix everything together and refrigerate till needed

Sauce

I stuck to a simple tomato based sauce this time to help balance the rich flavors of the cheeses

1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
1/2 lb cooked and crumbled Italian sausage
Italian seasoning to taste

Combine and cook till thickened to desired consistency.

Boil shells only enough to soften them for easier stuffing, rinse and drain.

Put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a deep dish baking pan.
Stuff shells and place in pan.
Top with a light layer of sauce and bake covered at 350 for about 30 min
Uncover and top with grated mozzarella.
Return to oven and bake uncovered for an additional 10 min.
Remove from oven and let rest for at least 15 min

Serve and enjoy.

I did not cook the sauce as long as I would normally do and it made the dish a little more runny then I would have liked.
IMG_20161211_1644237941_zpseuycwdny.jpg

IMG_20161211_1645165971_zpspzcovl52.jpg

IMG_20161211_1620321091_zpslyc30hrt.jpg

geeme said:
To anyone who thought I was making cheesecake, you don't make one of those in one of these:
20161211_161855.jpg

Gettin' down with the chunks of congo trinidad!

More of that darned intrigue. What is it with this thread? What kinda cheesebot contraption is that thing? What are you making? Icecheese? Iced cheese?  :think:
     But yeah. I totally agree with yours and tctenten's pairings of brown chinenses with sweet cheesiness. Good thinkin'!
     Chinenseesinesxts?  :drooling:

tctenten said:
 Pretty happy with my first attempt.  The chocolate lava powder gave the cream a nice burn!

Make sure to list in ingredients I don't see it!

Those look dope!

Y'all at dessert and me with the ADDiest effin' entry....

OK, the name is for reference ONLY, this shit can be poured/spooned/ladled/dumped/dipped/plopped onto jes' about any ol' thang...

Venison Stroganoff Sauce 
The 'Gredients

! lb. straight grind venison (no pork or beef)
1 medium chopped onion (yellow is what I used)
1 cube Knorr Chipotle bouillon
a jalapeno  or two chopped (or what you want, it's what I had)
a packet cheap store brand brown gravy powder
3 Tablespoons corn starch

...And this stuff

15338662_219480605167899_365402715603127299_n.jpg

OK, this stuff too

15326461_219481015167858_7337439285496895216_n.jpg

Oh, and procure some
 (optional, but you'll want to!!)

15439985_219481048501188_5076169467191185355_n.jpg

And finally (I think, I was slumgullioning)

15355765_219481105167849_1879953014883359319_n.jpg

So...you do this with the ground venison, chipotle cube, chopped onion and the spices. Use the spice like you do, don't count on my palate to guide you.

15439863_219481141834512_644322485405573740_n.jpg

Add a cup or so of water and let it simmer for a half hour while you think of the next step, or until it bubbles a little

15380486_219481445167815_2421783737897893968_n.jpg

Blend the cheap brown gravy and corn starch together in a bowl, then add 2 & a half cups COLD water and mix well, add slowly to your venison junk and slowly simmer till it gets damn tick. 

15420824_219481278501165_8157692297531948362_n.jpg

That's when I added the chopped jala and (because I forgot to add it earlier like I told you) the chipotle cube

15492349_219481191834507_3627041226231725787_n.jpg

So it simmered. I took a shower. When I got out of the shower I added the entire chub of cream cheese (knifed it in, actually), sliced in the hab-n-jala jack cheese (half an 8 oz pack--it's what I had), and turned the heat down to let everything melt but not scald.

OK, sour cream, you might be thinking? Damm smart of you for noticing. Sour cream hates boiling for some stupid reason, it would rather steep or just not cook at all, so I shcooped a half cup of the stuff in after the bubbling quit but the sauce was still hot. At this point, had I been paying any attention whatsoever, a 1/4 cup of red wine (I like merlots for this kind of science experiment) would have been stirred in. I wasn't and I didn't. Maybe next time.

Alllllllll--Righty then, off to my dad's place. He's all alone for a while and 87 years old and LOVES venison, so we did what comes natural; We shared.

The backstrap comes out of it's butcher paper hidey hole, and ALL IT GOT was a sea salt rub. Period. You're so gonna hope you have one!

15355681_219481305167829_9101169819786902260_n.jpg

It went into a preheated, butter-laden iron skillet of the Lodge variety for exactly two minutes on each wide side and one minute on each thin side. Wide egg noodles went in, sauce was stirred and given a minute in the nuker for a warming, and the end result was...

Eaten.

15380291_219481345167825_6619711723892091854_n.jpg

OK, the parmesan was supposed to be applied at some point, but, uh.....I forgot it at home. But I had the best of intentions, really!

Now be gentle, this is my first TD, right? I don't expect to win, though one of those nifty crowns would be cool under my av...But hey, this was really nummy stuff, and being as I slumgullion things and never get the same recipe right twice, I now have documentation!!

I would like to shout out to HM01 for reminding me of my simple-yet-awesome cooking beginnings and just sear the dammed backstrap. Dad loved it! 

I'll trade you an enchilada for some backstrap! :drooling:  I already killed my wife and everything! I'm a firm believer that sometimes all a good cut of meat needs is cast iron, salt and propane. 
     Nicely done, man! Beautiful color inside and out. I've never heard of anything like that stroganoff recipe, but it sounds like it would be killer on egg noodles.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Hopefully you get votes for that ^^^^ - I love vension but so many see to frown on it ;)

Looks great!

Thanks, my best work happens when I make it up as I go. Kinda like Scovie!! :party:

I'm going to order some of your powders, I bet the cooking around here goes up a few notches!
Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I'll trade you an enchilada for some backstrap! :drooling:  I already killed my wife and everything! I'm a firm believer that sometimes all a good cut of meat needs is cast iron, salt and propane. 
     Nicely done, man! Beautiful color inside and out. I've never heard of anything like that stroganoff recipe, but it sounds like it would be killer on egg noodles.

Oh dude, killed mine too! That simple advice made the meal! As you can see I tried a little sauce on my backstrap cuts, but it was fork-cut heaven with or without it. You ever get up this way lemme kno, we'll partake! Those enchies need to win IMO!!

Ashen said:
I'm conflicted, I love venison, and I always feel like I should like stroganoff , but I have yet to eat one that didn't turn me off after about 10 bites

You know, I've been "inventing-then-forgetting" recipes all my adult life. This sauce does overpower the venison burger a bit, it is loud, but the only thing even resembling a stroganoff in this recipe is the sour cream, though the sour cream gave it the cred... 

Creole Macaroni and Cheese

Macaroni:
4 cups of flour
6 eggs
1 tsp of salt

mix, set for an hour, put through my macaroni press, dry for 30 min. and boil for 5 minutes.

8 oz Paramesan
8 oz Romano
8 oz Frontinella

Grate the cheese and mix it.

1.5 cups of milk
1 tbl. olive oil
1 tbl flour

heat for 2 min in microwave

layer macaroni, cheese and add salt and pepper reserving 1/4 cup of cheese to cover the top.
Before you cover with cheese pour the milk mixture.
Bake at 350 until the top cheese is brown.

Sprinkle Primo Pepper Spice mix on top.

You had me at:

hot stuff said:

Macaroni:
4 cups of flour
6 eggs
1 tsp of salt

Tender homemade pasta baked in that cheese sauce?! C'MON! That is some world-class mac 'n cheese!

I was hoping somebody was going to just kill it in the mac 'n cheese department.  :cheers:
     A wise man once said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
hot stuff said:

Stuffed Poblano Peppers aka:

BONUS ENTRY: CHILE RELLENO

Ingredients: 

5 Fresh Poblano peppers roasted, skins and seeds removed.
Monterey Jack cheese
Queso Fresco cheese
Flour for dredging
3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated 1 TBS flour (this will be the batter)

PREP THE PEPPERS
1.Roast peppers until blackened and place into plastic bag..seal to sweat...remove skins, slit lengthwise and stuff with 3-4 cut up cheese sticks using both monterey and queso

2. gently roll in flour to coat and set aside.

This was only 10 mins roasting..actual time to fully blacken was 30mins

Cheese sticks

Peeled, seeds removed, stuffed

Dredged in flour

Set aside and begin the sauce.

Sauce Directions and Ingredients

1. 2 large whole tomatoes simmered in water to cover approx 5-10 mins until firm but skins easily removed.
 (remove skins and core after simmering, reserve 4 cups of tomato water)

2. Rough chop tomato into food processor or blender and add remaining ingredients.

1- 7.75 oz can of Salsa de chile fresco (mexican tomato sauce)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
2 canned chipoltle peppers + 2 TBLS adobo sauce
1 Chicken bouillon cube
1/2 tsp ground mex oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 cups water (use tomato simmer water)
1/2 tsp chocolate Moruga powder
1 TBS flour

3. Bring to a boil, Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, stir often.....reduce sauce by half approx 20 mins.

While sauce is reducing....make the batter.

Directions for batter

1. Whip 3 egg whites with hand mixer until stiff 3-5 mins

2. Add 3 egg yolks and 1TBLS flour....whip 1 min or as needed to mix
  Batter will be slightly loose but will retain its shape

3. Gently roll each flour dredged and stuff chili into batter and immediately place into preheated hot oil on med high heat...do not burn your batter.
Tip...gently spoon hot oil over the uncooked top to set the batter...then flip. (sorry I missed this pic in the steps)

Once golden brown on both sides (about 4-5 mins total) remove from hot oil and drain of paper towels.

Once all peppers are done frying, place into sauce and gently SIMMER 10 mins...spooning sauce over chili to cover

Serve with beans and rice and crumbled queso
Beans and rice where bag mix...cook as directed....( I had the water ready and started the rice when the chilis went into the sauce)

I have never made this before..To be honest I was overwhelmed by the steps and all the work and timing.

The flavors were Excellent, couldn't be happier...completely surprised myself and will pull this out again to make for a friends gathering.

Perfect seasoning..I wouldn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back