• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chili and Cornbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years back I did a riff on a mole chili.  It had all the classic flavors but was more of a stew than a chili.  It did win an office chili cook off.  But for this TD I wanted to bring a more authentic mole to my creation.  And holy mole was it a lot of work.  In the end it was worth it.  This chili is a keeper!

[SIZE=14pt]Holy Mole Beef and Pork Chili[/SIZE]

Ingredients
3 plum tomatoes
½ cup sesame seeds, toasted
½ cup canola oil
2 ounces dried ancho mulato chiles, stemmed and seeded
2 ounces pasilla chles, stemmed and seeded
5 garlic cloves, peeled
½ cup unskinned almonds
½ cup raisins
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon fresh ground Mexican cinnamon
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground clove
1 slice bread, darkly toasted and broken into pieces
1 ounce Mexican chocolate with chipotle
4 to 5 teaspoons raw sugar
3 lb course ground chuck and pork shoulder 50/50 mix

Directions

Set out all ingredients and prep them as specified.  It will help the process if everything is ready to go.  Wash the tomatoes, stem and seed the chiles, peel the garlic, toast and grind the spices, toast the bread and chop the chocolate.

Roast the tomatoes under a broiler for 5 minutes.  Turn them over and roast the other side for 5 minutes.  Expect some splotchy black blistering.  Add tomatoes and their juices into a bowl.

Toast sesame seeds in a small frying pan for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.  Add 2/3 of the seeds to the bowl with the tomatoes.  Reserve the rest for garnishing the final dish.

Heat a 5 quart or larger pot (I used an enameled cast iron pot) over medium heat.  Add the canola oil.  Tear the chiles into pieces.  Fry them in the oil for 20-30 seconds.  Fry them in small batches.  Be sure to turn them often and drain the excess fat back in to the pot.   Be sure not to toast them too darkly or they will become bitter.  Add them to a second boil separate from the tomatoes.  Cover them with hot water and place a small plate on top to keep them submerged.  Soak for about 30 minutes.

Remove any stray seeds from the oil.  Now fry the garlic and almonds.  Stir them regularly until golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Add them to the bowl with the tomatoes.

Now add the raisins.  Fry them for 30 seconds until they puff and brown slightly.  Add them to the bowl with the tomatoes.

Add re-hydrated chiles and 2 ½ cups of the soaking liquid to a blender.  Blend the snot out of it.  Strain the mixture back into its bowl to remove the skins and stray seeds.  Now blend all of the ingredients in the tomato bowl plus the spices, sugar, salt, bread and 1 cup of water.  You don’t need to add all the sugar.  You can add half and then adjust the seasoning later.  But as for the blender, same thing.  Put the spurs to it.  Strain this mixture back into its bowl.

Over medium heat, with a small amount of oil, add the chile mixture to the pot.  Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture comes to a tomato paste consistency.  Now add the strained tomato mixture to the already cooked down chile mixture.  Once again, cook it down to tomato paste consistency.  This should take 5-10 minutes.

Remove mixture to a bowl.  Do a quick cleaning of the pot.  You will be using the same pot to brown the meat. 

Brown the beef and pork mixture over medium/high until it is cooked.  Drain off the fat and return the meat to the pot.  Add in the mole mixture and about 1-2 pints of water.  You will simmer this for as long as you like.  I simmered for an hour.  Just make sure you have enough water to keep it at a nice simmer but don’t water it down too much and dilute the awesome flavors!  Adjust salt and sugar as needed.  I had to add a bit more salt when I did mine.

Ladle some chili into a bowl.  Garnish with sesame seeds, queso fresco and serve with a big hunk of queso fresco corn bread.  Drink lots of tequila.  The day of the dead tequila I picked works here because mole is a traditional dish served on the Day of the Dead celebration

[SIZE=14pt]Queso Fresco Corn Bread[/SIZE]

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup butter melted
1/4 cup orange blossom honey
eggs, slightly beaten
1 small wedge queso fresco, sliced

Directions

Heat oven to 400°F.  

Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients just until moistened.  Pour half of the batter into greased 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Create a layer of the queso fresco.  Pour in the rest of thebatter.

Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

skulls-crop_zpsb0d156d0.jpg

gallery_8228_122_5163221.jpg

gallery_8228_122_3121007.jpg

gallery_8228_122_1980125.jpg

SumOfMyBits said:
I felt like the veggie chili needed some love. Sg's veggie entry also needed a companion.

These are untouched images, MX. Just for you!

16291052079_b9f87d5a7b_b.jpg

16289607268_e08ec56edf_c.jpg

16476345652_8244d19493_c.jpg

16476344562_28284ffaa3_b.jpg

So is this another entry?

I keep going through em and that chile conejo is calling my name.  have quesadilla, needs smotherthigns.

Yeah, this.

Then keybrdkid showed up, with a new-to-me beef, and BB dropped a nice waffle chili, and Esseggi made some beautiful dough, and then JHP started dropping daylight photos ... uh-oh ...

Then Esseggi plopped a morning-after metaphor, on a plate - epic. Keybrdkid dropped the most appetizing thing I'd seen, that cornbread looked great (because I don't like CB).

JHP's stuff is looking good by this point yesterday, and almost makes me want to try venison ... almost. Either way, his CB looked tasty too. The crumb was spot-on, in JHP's I thought. I was worried about sour cream, but have no love for what other's appreciate in CB. I'm in sic's camp on CB, really.

Husker came along and dropped the chili grind I couldn't get, w/ tequila (which we were to use, too). Most every detail we planned was already expressed in one dish or another.

Hot Stuff dropped the dirty bowl (as a patron of places w/ awesome chili, I recognize the appearance of this as being awesome. I'll screenshot his recipe and riff it on for a dark Skyline style chili in the future.) Oh, and the cigar ... nice touch.

Enter JJJessee and the flaming reaper ... boom. Great shot for a competition ... I was impressed, anyways. Eggplant skins, Black raspberry meade, honey, ginger, oats, and reaper, AND 151 ... get in there! Nice chili. Not as big of a fan of the CB, or the photo doesn't do it justice. But really, I just don't like CB ...

At this point I'm hearing about rabbits and trying to cook ...

Kudos to you, though, I love cooking w/ celery (see zillions of old curry posts) and wished I had some, and the bison move to be able to skip the draining is a move I'd try in the future.

But I want that dark bowl from Hot Stuff, Skyline style ... now.

I just wanted to know if it was really an entry or just some more photos. It looks delicious so far actually.

Troll is one of those catchall words for people with myopic views and limited vocabularies.

At least that's been my empirical observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back