• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chili and Cornbread Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, FD!!

frydad4 said:
FRYDAD'S Smoked Chili and Cornbread Cock-Doggies

Make this!!! Chili tastes good made outside over coals!!
I'm staunchly anti-bean in my chili, but I got nothin against a bean chili made by someone else... :)

2 Poblanos, diced fine; 1 sweet onion, Diced fine; 3 dried ancho chilis minced; 4 cloves garlic; 2/3 lb top sirloin steak, minced, not ground!; 2 links hot Italian sausage, grilled and cubed; 3 raw chicken tenderloins, cubed; 16 oz Mississippi Mud Black and Tan separated (add 12 at first, add 4 more oz later). 
Start some charcoal. Do it. Trust me, it's better when you do it outside. 
Put a cast iron skillet on the coals. Sautee the vegetables and then add the meat. After a few minutes add a big can of whole tomatoes and a big can of crushed tomatoes. Let it simmer for a LONG TIME!!! Add some salt to taste. 

Beef Lil Smokeys. You know they're awesome!

Cornbread (corndog) batter...

1/2 C cornmeal (you might need more later); 1/2 C AP flour (maybe more...your call); 1 t kosher salt; 1/2 t baking powder; 1/8 t baking soda; 1/2 t cayenne powder; 1 T diced fresh jalapeno; 1/2 can cream style corn; 1/3 C diced sweet onion, 3/4 C buttermilk.
Mix the batter up. Coat the doggies in corn starch, impale them with a toothpick, roll in corn starch, and deep fry in vegetable oil. 

Serve the way you like it....Fritos, diced jalapeno, sour cream, shredded pepper jack...whatevs!

16474862261_413b3f954c_b.jpg

16452037686_ccc0e3b8dc_b.jpg

16290343168_ae02529169_b.jpg

16477079332_4054ff351b_b.jpg

Smeared...
15855512844_67561b00cc_b.jpg

I'm gonna eat yo' cornbread!!!
16291787939_3be963d4a6_b.jpg

FD

FIDDY!!!! 
Where's that blanketyblank Hashtag/ call out thang?????

Fiddy- is this a typo?
Mix the batter up. Coat the doggies in corn starch, impale them with a toothpick, roll in corn starch, and deep fry in vegetable oil. 

double corn starch....??????

(why am I helping the competition?????)   I seriously need a re-wine if I'm doing that!  

:lol:   Just kidding~~~  <3 U Fiddy~

LateEdit- FD4 if you win I'm recinding my suggestions!!!

SL he re-corned instead of of re-wined. You set him straight! :lol:

:edit:-delete- NEVER MIND!  

It's the TD.  It's all good!
:party: 

Before this closes let me just say, wow! You know we keep saying "this was the best ever" time and time again, and yet you guys keep bringin' it! THIS may be the best ever! And we'll say it again! That's the beauty of it. You guys rock it every time!

In the past chili was shot down with comments like, "Who wants to look at a bowl of meat?" Etc. It scared me off for years, this was the first one since we started this in 2009!

I think every single one of you proved that chili is a very worthy TD.

Congrats! :clap:

Vegetarian roasted red bell pepper and black bean chili

4 cloves garlic(+powder to taste)
1 onion
2 red bell
2 poblanos
3 orange habanaros
3 santa fe grande(use more if you can, I only had 3!)
8-10 new mexico
1/2-1 tbs paprika
2 tbs cumin
maybe a tsp or 2 of oregano
1 can stewed tomatoes with celery+onion+pepper
2 can black beans

about 1/4 cup veggie broth/ just enough to almost cover the above
salt pepper to taste

I roasted the bells and  poblanos for about 35-40 minutes then wrapped them in foil to steam for about 30 minutes
Cut the mexicos in half length ways and seeded them, then rough chopped. I toasted them in a pan for a few minutes until
very fragrant then removed. I processed this(my processor sucked!) Most of it powdered but about 20% needed to be chopped up
Chopped an onion, garlic, santa fe and habanaros and put them in pot until onion softened, then added half of the mexico powder + all other powders
removed skin from the bells and poblanos and chopped and added, added the tomatoes and black beans and just enough broth to almost cover, brought to boil then turned down to very low for about 2 hours. Added almost all the other powder + more salt
cooked another hour or so

Topped with cheese from the cornbread

Stone ground buttermilk cornbread with jack cheese

3 eggs beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups stone ground cornmeal
1/4 block cheese shredded (+ couple big chunks  to find throughout!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix the dry, add in eggs milk butter and mix, mix in cheese, add to preheated iron skillet, cooked about 18-20 minutes or so

qmTdIQ1.png

4mgyK3W.png

Damn stray bit off to the left of the rest.. way to ruin the picture!

4NDJGcN.png

Just realized my only POL was in cornbread ingredients.. Hope thats not a DQ.

This was the best chili I ever made. Next time I will definitely try to find more dried varieties to add.

So many good chilis and breads!  Way to Rock It Out!!!

Like the Boss said, how can you make a bowl of beans look good.....but I think that question has been answered and then some.  Y'all are the epitome of awesomeness,

Get your V on!

Yeah, this is for the vagetarians. 

28 ozer of diced tomatoes, 1 sweet onion chopped, 1 large poblano chopped. 

On med. heat and dump in a full can of black beans, a 1/4 can of red beans, a 1/4 can of pintos, a 1/4 can of kidneys.

Smash up ~1/4 cup of kidney beans and add that bean paste to the mix. 

1/2 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tbsp basil, 1/2 tbsp onion pow, 1 tsp garlic pow, 1 tsp cayenne pow, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper. Stir it up. Let cook for an hour.

Cornbread:

1 cup corn meal, 3/4 cup AP flour, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2  tsp baking powder... mix! Don't forget the 1.5 fresh Jalas chopped fine, you big dummy. They are important.

3/4 banana (smash it up), 1 1/2 cup milk, 6 tbsp butter (melted)... mix it up and mix it up with the mix up. <--- you heard.

Cook at 400 for 20 mins. Broil to brown the top if you want.

Boosh!

16452735476_3d7ec01925_c.jpg

16292842287_b777605c83_c.jpg

16478741205_5f259eea43_c.jpg

16292482249_edf970ac78_b.jpg

SumOfMyBits said:
Get your V on!

On med. heat and dump in a full can of black beans, a 1/4 can of red beans, a 1/4 can of pintos, a 1/4 can of kidneys.

Smash up ~1/4 cup of kidney beans and add that bean paste to the mix. 

Sumbits- are you really using 1/4 can of red/kidney/pinto beans?????  What are you gonna do with the rest of the cans????  

please don't let this be the last post of the TD.

salsalady said:
Sumbits- are you really using 1/4 can of red/kidney/pinto beans?????  What are you gonna do with the rest of the cans????  

please don't let this be the last post of the TD.

Making bean salad. They are not wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back