• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Grillin' & Chillin' Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work bierz

Apparently in a drunken stupor I did manage to snap 2 pictures while not great I think they captured my meal hahahahah.

[SIZE=18pt]Simple surf and turf[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ingredients:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 16 ounce Prime Ribeye[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 pound King Crab legs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 pound red, purple and white potatoes, quartered[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]8 ounces bay bella mushrooms, sliced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 large sweet onion, sliced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 whole lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 stick of butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Joyner’s Thai Blend, to desired level[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]2 tablespoons olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Salt and Pepper to taste[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Directions:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Heat grill to 400 degrees roughly with a spot for indirect heat. Par boil the potatoes, a few minutes cook time on high. Once the potatoes are par boiled drain, salt, pepper and Thai Blend, place in grill basket. The mushrooms and onions are mixed in a bowl with the oil, salt and pepper then placed in a grill basket. Place both baskets over the indirect zone on the grill. Cook until almost done then time for the steak and king crab.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Steak is simple salt and pepper. Take ½ stick of butter and a small amount of zest from the lime and melt better. Place the steak over the fire and put a slit in the king crab legs. In the slits you pour the melted butter, this occurs prior to going on the grill. Place the king crab legs on a rack since they are already cooked they just need to get warm. Put remaining stick of butter in same pan and melt, used for dipping. For me I like steaks more on the rare side so I make sure all my sides are almost completely done before placing steak on grill. Cook steak to your liking.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Once everything is off I combine the potatoes with the veggies. The crab is taken from the shell and the steak is sliced then. Plate and serve.[/SIZE]

11921783_1071358979564494_4452306360061540325_o.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]Fruity drink (Grill day means beer in these parts) (Fair share of two hearted ales were sacrificed)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]3 ounces of vodka[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]½ lemon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]½ lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Tablespoon fruit punch[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Fill rocks glass with ice, squeeze the ½ lime and lemon and add the fruit punch, stir and enjoy. [/SIZE]

11934531_1071358969564495_5322251254566804349_o.jpg

Yeah this was not posted anywhere, last night was chicken and I'll get that stuff together for a TD post in a bit. Will be my worst entries but it was on the menu regardless and I took full advantage of drinking hahahah

Damn that looks amazing! Angled a little low as to not see the food as good as the drink but still...

I like those overhead shots PIC 1 and bierz do but maybe that is a drunk angle lol.

The Hot Pepper said:
Damn that looks amazing! Angled a little low as to not see the food as good as the drink but still...

I like those overhead shots PIC 1 and bierz do but maybe that is a drunk angle lol.
Thanks, I honestly didn't take the time or fuss with it...only a fan of overhead when I can use natural light. Overhead in my kitchen at nighttime = shadow no matter where I shoot it from. 

Someone post so I can post #2 in its own message please..

[SIZE=18pt]Dirty sticky bird with fresh beans and corn[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]5 skin on and bone in thighs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]½ pound fresh green beans[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Few ears of corn[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Joyner’s smoked serrano powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Salt and pepper to taste[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Teaspoon olive oil[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sticky sauce[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]2 cups OJ[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Cup of ketchup[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]½ cup brown sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]¼ cup white vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]2 tablespoons Worcestershire[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Teaspoon of Joyner’s Thai Blend[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Everything into a sauce pan, bring to boil and the simmer for an hour or more until the thickness you desire. I went about 3 hours to get a really thick coating sauce and intense flavor. Set some sauce aside for dipping later.[/SIZE]

11921828_1071364916230567_5804268441940859579_o.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Heat grill to 400 degrees roughly with a spot for indirect heat. Make sure chicken kin is dry and lightly salt and pepper. Place the chicken over indirect heat and skin side up. Cook for roughly 25 minutes and brush on the bbq sauce skin side, 10 minutes and flip the coat bottom. % minutes later flip back to skin side up and continue to baste every 10 minutes until chicken is done. Last 10 minutes of the cook do not coat. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Par boil the corn and remove. Coat ears with olive oil, salt and smoked serrano powder. Place on grill during last 15 minutes of chicken cook and over the flame, Roll often to not burn[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Clean the green beans, simple steam them, drain and salt to desired flavor[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Bloody something[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]3 ounces of vodka[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]½ lemon, squeezed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Tablespoon of fresh horseradish[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Teaspoon of Worcestershire[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Fresh cracked black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Dash of favorite hot sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Teaspoon Joyner’s smoked jalapeno powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]1 can of tomato juice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Fill 20 ounce glass with ice. Mix all ingredients in a separate cup or shaker and pour over the ice. Garnish and drink [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
11942283_1071364922897233_4501119791508861141_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
11892478_1071364926230566_1990893721594143229_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

Sweet and Heat

The GRILL: Pork Tenderloin

Marinade: sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, Thai red pepper paste, cayenne, ginger, thyme, cilantro, ginger syrup and a touch of lime juice .
Marinate tenderloin overnight. Cooked on grill at about 450F, 16 minutes. 

The CHILL: Aji Cristal Pitaya Twist
Roast, peel and deseed aji cristal. Deseed dragon fruit. Puree in blender with limoncello, tequila, lime juice, and ginger syrup. Put in freezer overnight. When ready to serve, combine with ice in blender.

P1020015.JPG

P1020021.JPG

P1020022.JPG

P1020020.JPG

Fruit salad didn't make it into the pics as some hornets decided they wanted it more badly than y'all wanted pics. I don't deal well with hornets or other things that sting. 

Jalapeño Jeaven

I love jalapeño flavor and decided to do this entry focusing on that. 

The GRILL: Jalapeño Pork Tenderloin
Dry rub: sea salt, marjoram, cumin, cilantro, allspice, ginger and jalapeño powder.
Apply rub to tenderloin and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight. Grill at about 450F for 16 minutes. Serve with jalapeño salsa for dipping.

The CHILL: Jalapeño Salsa Margarita
Jalapeño salsa, agave nectar, salt, lime juice, tequila.
Combine and place in freezer overnight. When ready to serve, combine with ice in blender.

Jalapeño Salsa: Roast, deseed and peel jalapeños. Puree in blender with salt, honey, and lime juice. Note that a key to this is not to overuse the honey. You want to add a subtle honey flavor without making the salsa sweet. 

P1020002.JPG

P1020006.JPG

P1020014.JPG

P1020018.JPG

P1020026.JPG

P1020023.JPG

Love the jalapeno theme throughout will look closer later but that's what it's all about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back