• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Grillin' & Chillin' Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff all! 

Another attempt later, do not even know if I took pictures for last night. The force was strong with those drinks ;) 

11986512_1070998606267198_8078659557400185280_n.jpg

Seasoned Grouper-Stuffed Lobster Tails

For this TD I decided to make lobster with grouper stuffing. You could substitute things other than grouper as the stuffing meat as I understand. I used a Rice Pilaf as a side, and used a version of iced tea as a drink addition. The rice pilaf was made prior to cooking the seafood because it needed more time. The drink was basically iced tea with a bit of orange peel, bulger wheat, and coriander strained through a coffee strainer.  The grouper was cooked on the grill first, and cooked coated in Creole seasoning. After it was done, the meat was shredded, and added to a stuffing mixture. The lobster tails were cut in half, coated in butter/olive oil, and cooked meat side down for about two minutes, and then flipped over for stuffing. An additional six minutes and lobsters were then ready. Overall, they tasted great.

Ingredient List

Butter
Lobster tails
Garlic cloves
Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Fresh sage
Paprika
Sea salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Cayenne pepper
Oregano
basil
Garlic powder
Jasmine Rice
Sweet onions
Chicken stock
Saffron
Orange peel
Coriander
Bulger wheat
Gold Peak iced Tea
Egg
Hot Pepper
Shallots
Celery

To cook Rice Pilaf:

1.        Preheat oven to 350F.
2.       Melt two tablespoons butter and add two tablespoons olive oil to a skillet.
3.       Add ½ of an onion chopped, and cook for 7 minutes.
4.       Grease a 9/13 inch casserole dish and add two cups dry Jasmine rice to the dish.
5.       Pour onion mixture into the dish, and stir well to coat the rice.
6.       In a separate saucepan, combine 3 cups chicken stock, a bit each of salt, cayenne pepper, and saffron and bring to a boil.
7.       Reduce heat to low and simmer stock for five minutes
8.       Pour chicken stock mixture over rice and stir to combine.
9.       Cover the casserole dish with heavy aluminum foil and tightly seal around the edges.
10.   Cook for 35 minutes, and then remove from oven. Allow rice to rest for ten minutes.
11.   Fluff rice with fork, and serve or store.

To cook Grouper:

1.       First, you need to make the Creole seasoning.  In a bowl, mix 2 ½ tablespoons paprika, a tablespoon of salt, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, a tablespoon of black pepper, a tablespoon of onion powder, a tablespoon of cayenne pepper, and a tablespoon of oregano.
2.       Stir the spice mixture well, and then add four tablespoons of melted butter and four tablespoons of olive oil.
3.       Chop three cloves garlic, and add to mixture. Add a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
4.       Use a whisk to combine this mixture well.
5.       Place a tray of aluminum foil on a medium heated grill with all burners on.
6.       Place a grouper steak skin side down on the foil, and drizzle creole mixture over the fish.
7.       Close the grill lid and cook fish for three minutes
8.       After three minutes, re-coat the fish with more creole mixture and keep repeating this process until the fish has cooked for twelve minutes.
9.       After the fish has finished cooking, sprinkle with some basil powder.
10.   You may either eat the steak (watch the bones) as is, or shred to make for grouper stuffing as I did-or however you prefer.

To make Grouper Stuffing:

1.       Peel and chop into pieces two sweet onions, two shallots, and three cloves garlic. De-string two stalks of celery and chop into pieces. De-seed and chop a pepper.
2.       In a medium-sized saucepan, melt two tablespoons butter.
3.       Sautee the shallot, onions, celery, and pepper for about 7 minutes or so-then add garlic pieces.
4.       Sautee for an additional two minutes-then add another tablespoon of butter.
5.       Add one cup of bread crumbs.
6.       Stir to incorporate the butter into the breadcrumbs.
7.       Add ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon black pepper, a shake of cayenne pepper, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
8.       Quickly stir in a beaten egg.
9.       Let mixture cook for five minute, then stir in cooked grouper meat.
10.   Remove from heat and cook as desired, or use as stuffing for lobsters.
11.   Variations on the result can be made into different dishes.

To make Stuffed Lobster Tails:

1.       Using a sharp knife, cut lobster tails down the middle (your butcher may have already started this for you.)
2.       Mix a tablespoon melted butter with a tablespoon of olive oil. Drizzle mixture over lobster meat on a plate.
3.       Place lobster pieces meat side down on a medium-preheated grill. Cook for only two minutes, so as to not overcook the meat.  
4.       Flip lobster pieces over and top with grouper stuffing mixture. Depending on how you cut the lobster tails or their size, then may be tricky. If I were to do this again, I might try bigger tails or using a whole lobster if necessary.  That being said, some of the stuffing didn’t fall through the grill grates-and was picked up with tongs at a later point and re-added to the lobsters.
5.       Cook lobsters shell side down for six more minutes; then remove from heat.
6.       Serve with rice pilaf, or as desired. Yum.

To make Iced-Tea drink:

1.       Pour some Gold Peak iced tea in a glass. Add a bit of coriander powder, bulger wheat, and orange peel. Stir to combine, and pour mixture through a coffee strainer into a cup to remove particles. Discard the orange peel and wheat.
2.       Serve with ice.

hogleg said:
uh excuse me. I was talking. :rofl:

@ CH73, A f**king Michel Rolland Malbec!!!!! Game over! That is a bottle to behold if y'all don't know.

Yesss... somebody that know wines!!!!!

You know that there into the bottle... This wine is very premium and won many prizes. A nectar on the palate, decent drink of royalty!  

I still have two unopened bottles ;)

actually I almost left the sage out completely. I bought it, but then couldn't remember why I bought it. I rubbed it a bit on the lobster tails prior to cooking, and then just used it as a garnish for the rice.  

didnt really use it any other way. 

I don't normally use sage, not that I dont like it, just dont use it often. I'll look into that and keep that in mind about frying..

keybrdkid said:
actually I almost left the sage out completely. I bought it, but then couldn't remember why I bought it. I rubbed it a bit on the lobster tails prior to cooking, and then just used it as a garnish for the rice.  

didnt really use it any other way. 

I don't normally use sage, not that I dont like it, just dont use it often. I'll keep that in mind about frying..
Just giving you a hard time, it is one of those herbs that should never appear on a plate raw but killer grub man! I love growing sage, this is the time of the year where it is most used. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Just giving you a hard time, it is one of those herbs that should never appear on a plate raw but killer grub man! I love growing sage, this is the time of the year where it is most used. 

haha, ok.

Thanks for the info.  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
[Sage] is one of those herbs that should never appear on a plate raw 

Says who? And why should any of us care? Not just here, but anywhere ever?  :think:

KBK is eating like a king!

grantmichaels said:
JHP - GR just went off on someone for that on MasterChef, right? ... they got sent home, actually, if I recall, too ...
Yes, I was going to mention that but really not downing the dish just a good FYI. Never put things on a plate herb/decoration wise that should not be eaten. Actually the rock star guy did it and he is still in the comp. 

geeme said:

Says who? And why should any of us care? Not just here, but anywhere ever?  :think:

KBK is eating like a king!
#deeznutz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back