beer Begin! : June TD - Kolsch

Ozzy2001 said:
I guess I need to ship this bitch off. If we wait until next week I can beer gun my brunch stout and IPA to taste too.

I don't really want these beers sitting in the post office storeroom over the weekend.

Oops ... I forgot about it altogether ... I probably won't ship until 7/5, now ...

Ozzy2001 said:
Lol I may drain the rest. It's actually not bad with the cigar I'm smoking right now, but that may be because I can't taste it lol. On the samples I could taste the Sorachi more. But now it's all yeast. I'm actually going to use the Sorachi in my cherry wheat this weekend. I can't wait to brew that one.
Going to use red wheat and flaked rye.

Oddly enough, S.A. is my option to the 007 for the saison batch ... it's the only beer style that I brew that I've imagined using it in ...
Ozzy2001 said:
I think Wheebz is pretty busy so it will probably be okay.

yeah, and i think he's camping all weekend, if I heard him correctly ... no sense having the beers sit at the brewery, either ...
i'm in brew mode, right now ... going to attempt a shit-ton of beer this long weekend, i hope ...

image.jpeg

Cracked my second one open. I like it. I think it is what it is supposed to be. Shipping next week is fine with me. I bought enough to brew this again, and I will once I here Wheebz suggestions.

Yours looks good TC. By the way your Wheebz Porter was delicious. Head retention was a little lacking, but tasted great.
I know my water screwed mine a bit too. I need to plug my recipe in bru'in water to see what all I need to do. Distilled water and lactic acid are definitely in my future for pale beers.

Ozzy2001 said:
Yours looks good TC. By the way your Wheebz Porter was delicious. Head retention was a little lacking, but tasted great. I know my water screwed mine a bit too. I need to plug my recipe in bru'in water to see what all I need to do. Distilled water and lactic acid are definitely in my future for pale beers.
Thanks bro! I will be brewing the porter again in the fall. Maybe add some coffee to it.

i dont expect these beers until next week with the holiday

and good news, I will not be the only one reviewing these beers

my other brewer will be doing his own review as well

he is also a siebel grad, but doesnt have any other experience other than school and working for me for the past 2 weeks

ok, cool ... happy to send it next week ...

very much in brew-mode now, though ...

tinkering with my recipes tonight, and digging up all of the grains and hops and yeasties for 4x batches ...

looks like i might be running all my stir-plates this weekend to pull off these 4x ... starting off easy, but the last two are veritable stout-monsters ...

While I'm not particularly thrilled with the style in general, I believe my Kolsch's turned out to be a mad-decent batch at this point ...

I hurried to brew it early because I knew giving the yeast a month of time for faux lagering was the best-practice for WLP029, and it really needed all of the weeks in my opinion ...

It's really pretty fucking quaffable, now ...

I had to pour off the 1st glass because the service keg has a regular spear and I'd transferred gelatin and fined garbage during my keg-to-keg the other day, but the second glass is only mildly hazy, and by the time I dial in the carbonation for bottling over the next couple of days, it'll be pouring clear again, I figure ...

I felt like each of my beers that I bottled turned out a tiny bit undercarbed when poured, despite only pushing with like 3 psi behind the BeerGun, so I'm going to have the beer with a little bit more overcarbonation for bottling the Kolsch, than last time I bottled ...

tctenten said:
Summertime beer....but wait....it is always summertime for you. It is an outdoor, sun shining, hot pool day beer. I may bring a few to the bbq I am going to tmrw.

Yeah, but I'd rather drink a Dead Guy Ale, a glass of Red-Eye, PA, or fuck it - a Negra Modelo - than it ...

I guess I just like my shit a bit more polarized ... all the way to crisp pils, or the other way full-on malt-forward ... this one's kind of straddling them both ...

It just reminds me of beer, beer ... is all ... like any number of import beers I tried to like in my formative years ... Heine ... St Pauli ... not those in particular, but rather "import beer" in general ...

And then when you think about it ... it's not that far from them, I guess ... it's Kolsch malt and yeast and a clean bittering charge (Glacier) and some GER Hull Melon for flavor/aroma ...

Yes I agree. This is the closest thing to "beer" that I have brewed. Danielle wants to try one and I think she will like this one the best of what I have brewed.

Ozzy2001 said:

This one taste way better than the one I had last week. This one isn't as yeasty. Maybe they ate up what bottling sugar was left and cleaned up their mess.

looks good to me ...

plenty of bubbles, too ...

i'm going to keep drinking mine this afternoon until it pours clear (again, post-xfer) ...

Back