beer Begin! : June TD - Kolsch

so kind of a little variation of both

when we do quads/RiS/barleywine/oak aged stuff, give it like 3 or 4 months

maybe we give it 6 weeks instead of every 4 weeks? Gives you a little more time to get your shit together, like start it half way in between the month before its due, like we did for this one

wheebz said:
so kind of a little variation of both

when we do quads/RiS/barleywine/oak aged stuff, give it like 3 or 4 months

maybe we give it 6 weeks instead of every 4 weeks? Gives you a little more time to get your shit together, like start it half way in between the month before its due, like we did for this one

Ya I like this idea.  Some styles are still very green at 4 weeks heh.

Postie up ...

I assume the Kolsch recipes will mostly look similar, and come down to technical decisions in terms of temps and times, and then execution ...

Recipe: Kolsch TD Beer TYPE: All Grain
Style: Kölsch
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 4.0 SRM SRM RANGE: 3.5-5.0 SRM
IBU: 25.2 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 20.0-30.0 IBUs
OG: 1.048 SG OG RANGE: 1.044-1.050 SG
FG: 1.012 SG FG RANGE: 1.007-1.011 SG
BU:GU: 0.521 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 4.8 %
EE%: 65.00 % Batch: 5.80 gal Boil: 7.54 gal BT: 70 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 13.9 oz Total Hops: 2.00 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.2 %
1 lbs 3.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.9 %
3.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.7 %

Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp 
10 min Protein Rest Add 13.92 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F 
20 min Protein Rest Heat to 135.0 F over 4 min 135.0 F 
60 min Saccharification Heat to 154.0 F over 15 min 154.0 F 

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 50.0 F/50.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.52gal) of 188.0 F water

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.039 SG Est OG: 1.048 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 4.6 %
8.0 oz Maltodextrin (3.0 SRM) Sugar 5 4.6 %
1.50 oz Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 23.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 1.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 0.6 IBUs

Yeast will be WLP029 with appropriate starter made.  Will ferment at 60F for 7-10 days, transfer to secondary and lager at 38 until I bottle and ship by the 29th

Mine's a bit divergent because I'm using the 4.5L Schill malt, but we're both rockin' a little Honey Malt and Maltodextrin ...

I'm using a little bit of Acidulated, but it's just a tiny bit ...

I'm also hoping to use Wy2565, but I have a feeling the smacker is going to come blown up like a puffer fish ...

4 day trip over the weekend from Texas, with the temps, es no bueno, I'm thinking ...

I can't imagine that  yeast will be happy about 90-100F temps in transit, given the temp it wants to be at for ferm =( ...

I have back-up's, both a WLP029 coming with more ice, shipping faster from MoreBeer, and also well, yeasts on hand if need be ...
fiveohmike said:
My boil time I might push to 75 minutes from 70 to drive off the DMS from the Pilsner malt.

I'm going 90-100 min boil, since I'm going to be coming in dark anyways from the grain bill ...

60 on pilsner malt is begging for SMM to come around and give it to ya ... at least without circulating ice water through a plate chiller, IMHO ...

grantmichaels said:
I'm also hoping to use Wy2565, but I have a feeling the smacker is going to come blown up like a puffer fish ...

4 day trip over the weekend from Texas, with the temps, es no bueno, I'm thinking ...

I can't imagine that  yeast will be happy about 90-100F temps in transit, given the temp it wants to be at for ferm =( ...

I have back-up's, both a WLP029 coming with more ice, shipping faster from MoreBeer, and also well, yeasts on hand if need be ...

I'm going 90-100 min boil, since I'm going to be coming in dark anyways from the grain bill ...

60 on pilsner malt is begging for SMM to come around and give it to ya ... at least without circulating ice water through a plate chiller, IMHO ...

Ya its always tough to balance the carmelization SRM values with the boil length for a crisp clear beer like this.  I am getting a bit touchy as is with the Sugar additions but i like my Kolsch' on the sweeter side.
P.S.  I could not imaging having MoreBeer that far away.  The Concord showroom is only a 30 minute drive, plus I hvae another local store 10 minutes away :/

fiveohmike said:

Ya its always tough to balance the carmelization SRM values with the boil length for a crisp clear beer like this.  I am getting a bit touchy as is with the Sugar additions but i like my Kolsch' on the sweeter side.

I've never even drank one, so I'm flying truly blind again this month ...

grantmichaels said:

I've never even drank one, so I'm flying truly blind again this month ...

That is the best way to learn right? :)

I will say I love a good Kolsch on a hot summer day, especially ones sweeted with honey malt.  Gives it that refreshing crispness.

fiveohmike said:

That is the best way to learn right? :)

I will say I love a good Kolsch on a hot summer day, especially ones sweeted with honey malt.  Gives it that refreshing crispness.

:shrug: we'll see ... I'm a recently converted dark-beer-only guy ...

Wheebz gripes about my Honey Malt inclusion in recipes err'time I use it, but I am pretty sure I like a bit in my light-colored beers ...

grantmichaels said:

:shrug: we'll see ... I'm a recently converted dark-beer-only guy ...

Wheebz gripes about my Honey Malt inclusion in recipes err'time I use it, but I am pretty sure I like a bit in my light-colored beers ...

Well if there is ANY recipe that is deserving of a honey malt, its a Kolsch in my book.

I rarely drink light colored beers unless its Octoberfest or its brutally hot out and I want something refreshing.

Back