beer Begin! : June TD - Kolsch

image.jpeg

Nice choice. A little liquid lunch before I head back to the office.

wheebz said:
look at how light that beer is

thats what I want to see

thats a kolsch right there

you're such a d!ck ...

i'm not switching from the schill kolsch malt to the pils here ...

lol
oh, and after i brew that Kolsch, then i'm going to start working on kicking your ass in the Showdown ...

:rofl:

wheebz said:
get rid of the munich

thats whats gonna make it darker

you confused me because i haven't even put my recipe in Beersmith yet - it's on a piece of paper ...

then i remembered mentioning i brought in a pound of bonlander ...

i was like wtf ... maybe he really is up in my head ...
tctenten said:
Was really smooth and light. I could drink that allday.

i don't think i'm even going to like it ...

probably going to do 1.5 gal on the stove for this one ...

wheebz said:
you emailed me the recipe dude

That wasn't me ...

I did mention in a text that I was considering using 4.5% ea bonlander munich and torrefied wheat, though ...

I haven't actually had a Beersmith session for the Kolsch yet - I just have some points of interest on a sheet of paper at this point ...

That's the next activity ... latenight Beersmith ... have to do the Kolsch, plug in Ozzy's, and the NEIPA ...

wheebz said:
ohh, guess it was the text then

i'll be doing that shiiiiit 2nite, tho ...

i do love me some latenight Beersmith fuckery ...
i have a little rule ... don't make a recipe using any yeast that isn't already in-house ... because it might not come viable ...

did you see that puffed WL FlexCell PurePitch package yesterday? ... i'm pretty sure i could poke that with a pin and yang on the neighbor across the street ...

i dont get it dude

i used to order shit from northern brewer and midwest supply all the damn time in florida, and never once in a year and a half did I ever have bad yeast that I wasnt able to prop up and pitch

only once did I get a bad yeast in 7 years, and it was an 8 month old vial of Antwerp Ale yeast from a local home brew store that was at like 8% when I got it

wheebz said:
i dont get it dude

i used to order shit from northern brewer and midwest supply all the damn time in florida, and never once in a year and a half did I ever have bad yeast that I wasnt able to prop up and pitch

only once did I get a bad yeast in 7 years, and it was an 8 month old vial of Antwerp Ale yeast from a local home brew store that was at like 8% when I got it

It arrived at 7PM ... via UPS ... spent the day on the truck, after spending 3x days from Texas (that box came from txbrewing.com) ...

It began with 5x ice packs inside the insulated-foil pouch ... which may have helped keep it cool longer on the front-side of it's journey, but was equally effective at insulating in the heat from the mid-day sun while it was being driven around all the way into the early evening ... hence the internal contents of the insulated pouch being 5F warmer than the outside of it upon opening it ...

Thankfully I really like US-05 for a clean yeast, and I like the yeast character of the Mangrove Jack's British Pale (M07) I used for the golden just fine ... so like, great, I'm covered ... not to mention the yeast I brough in during the Winter knowing it would be a problem from late-Spring through late-Fall ...

But I have to imagine all of the people who just go through the motions, underpitching their beers like crazy ...

Yes, I could prop 'em up, sure ... but without a scope and a hemocytometer plate, I'll always be flying blind if I have no idea what the initial viability is, and furthermore, there's an unknown vitality story beyond the that ...

Can I overpitch all the time, sure I can ... but on the hoppy beers I'm going to be wasting hop oils like crazy, something I realized on a lot of those earlier batched where I overpitched like crazy ...

I'd just order my yeast from Heart's Homebrew in Orlando, but a) their selection is limited as fuck (they didn't have Kolsch yeast, for instance), and b) I can't be sure they aren't receiving the same shit ...

Anyways ...

I'm really glad dry yeast is good these days, I understand those packs of Munton's from 10 years ago weren't so hot ...

Ozzy2001 said:
I think he said his deliveries are late in the day.

Grant maybe you could set it up where you could pick it up.

Funny you should mention that ... because I also have a Yeast Bay order en route, and here's their disclaimer! =)

If you're experiencing extreme weather in your area or will be unable to secure the package upon delivery, it's your responsibility to use the tracking information to have it held for pickup or rerouted to avoid damages or loss of the product(s)

The Yeast Bay, LLC accepts no liability for products that have been subjected to non-ideal environmental conditions at any point after the package goes out for delivery in your local area. Yeast can be damaged by sitting out exposed to the elements or by spending a long period of time on a non-climate controlled delivery truck that is excessively hot or below freezing. If your local temperature on the day of delivery is above 80 ºF or below 35 ºF, you are required to have your package held for pickup at your local USPS branch if you wish to retain return privileges. Aside from a quality issue on our end, which we will always make right, failure to have your package held for pickup if the local temperature is above 80 ºF or below 35 ºF on the day of delivery will result in loss of return/refund/replacement privileges.

Mind you, that comes on the shipment notification - after they've billed you, LOL ...

Guess it's not just me =)

Back