beer Begin! : June TD - Kolsch

Kolsch TD

The goal is to create a Kolsch Style. Here is the style guideline of what you are trying to re-create.

The only stipulation to this, is that I am removing the noble hop requirements. You can use whatever hops you want, but they still must follow the guidelines, although they do not have to be of the noble variety. Toss some galaxy in there, but make sure it is low aroma as the style dictates.

Kolschs are straw to gold. Chill haze should be absent. Good, dense head retention is desirable. Fruity-ester aroma should be minimally perceived, if at all. Light pear-apple-Riesling wine-like fruitiness may be apparent, but is not necessary for this style. Hop aroma is low and if evident should express noble hop character. Malt character is a very low to low with soft sweetness. Caramel character should not be evident. Hop flavor is low and if evident should express noble hop character. Hop bitterness is medium
Body is light to medium-light; it is slightly dry on the palate, yet crisp. Wheat can be used in brewing this beer. Kölsch is fermented at warmer temperatures compared to typical lager temperatures but at lower temperatures than most English and Belgian ales, then aged at cold temperatures (German ale or alt-style beer). Ale yeast is used for fermentation, though lager yeast is sometimes used in the bottle or final cold conditioning process. Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.042-1.048 (10.5-11.9 °Plato) • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.006-1.010 (1.5-2.6 °Plato) • Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.8%-4.2% (4.8%-5.3%) • Bitterness (IBU) 18-28 • Color SRM (EBC) 3-6 (6-12 EBC)

• Ingredients Limitations - Must follow the style guidelines. No weird wacky crazy herbs and spices. The idea for this one is to get as close to the beer style as possible. 
Steps and Pics:
  • Post as many pics as you want leading up to the final entry post
  • In your final post please show your ingredients pic with Pol, and then break down Mash, boil, fermentation or after, whatever process you are going through for the TD. I want everything and anything.
  • No pic limit. 

Title your entries, list all ingredients and brewing methods.
PoL: $.25 (PoL only needs to be shown ONCE in the final TD Post)
PIC ALLOWANCE: Unlimited

Beer must be shipped out by 6/31/16, and a tracking number provided. It wouldn't be fair for the others to wait weeks down the road for your beer to show up to judge theirs.
Shipping Info is as follows

Collusion Tap Works
105 S Howard St
York, PA 17401

BEGIN!

I ordered my ingredients last week, and started my recipe last night ...

I'm only bucking the BCJP a little, after reading George Fix's commentary that the commercial examples are primarily a little bit bigger and darker than the American style guidelines allow ...

Otherwise though, I'm getting after it head on ...

image.jpeg

Well all my numbers fall within Wheebz guidelines. I was going to use a minimal amount of coriander....but I guess we will leave that out.

Thanks for posting early.

those arent american style guidelines, those are international guidelines set by the World Beer Cup and the Brewers Association, not BJCP guidelines

I know you have to use some guidelines to judge shit, and I don't object ...

At the same time, I've eschewed competing and the guidelines on purpose, and plan to continue to do that ...

I am going to make a Kolsch-like beer and mail it in ... if it fits, awesome ... if it doesn't, that's okay with me too, well, as long as it taste's good ...

Title your entries, list all ingredients and brewing methods.
PoL: $.25 (PoL only needs to be shown ONCE in the final TD Post)
PIC ALLOWANCE: Unlimited

fiveohmike said:
Heh wheebz, I mean what does PoL stand for and how does it work....sorry, throwdown noob here.

Proof of Life ... put a quarter in a pic ... to prove you didn't use some old pictures ...

I think we should just set out the styles far in advance and the postmark date and people can brew/condition/lager/age as they see fit, and then be rigid only about the postmark date ...

Kolsch, postmarked no later than the last day of June ...
NEIPA, ... July ...
RIS, ... August ...
Pumpkin, ... Never ...

grantmichaels said:
I think we should just set out the styles far in advance and the postmark date and people can brew/condition/lager/age as they see fit, and then be rigid only about the postmark date ...
Kolsch, postmarked no later than the last day of June ...
NEIPA, ... July ...
RIS, ... August ...
Pumpkin, ... Never ...
That would be nice. Especially once the peppers start rolling in, I will be busy.

Bock, ... October ...

Seasonal, ... November ...

Barleywine, ... December ...

January, ... Olde Ale ...

February, ... Pilsner ...

March, ... Munich Helles ...

April, ... *IPA ...

I'm thinking that it wouldn't be all that hard to get consensus on the seasonality ...

grantmichaels said:

Proof of Life ... put a quarter in a pic ... to prove you didn't use some old pictures ...

Thanks, sounds good!  I am gonna try and get started after work tomorrow.  Will update when i get some stuff.  I have an idea for a killer kolsch

I wouldn't give you a beer that needs aged without proper warning. I started the kolsch early, but i really didnt have to as per the style, you can make a proper kolsch in about 14-16 days

when we get to that point yes, I will do that, however I love the spontinaity of styles

like lets say some random obscure beer is REALLY huge in october after GABF, and you all want that style, I would hate to say no this style is on the menu instead because thats what we dictated 10 months ago.

Yeah I don't really want to script out the future either. Plus I like an occasional ingredient list or a couple of items you have to use and brew what you want.
Like you have to use a 10-14 AA stout. Or you have to use at least a 1/4lb of smoked wheat sort of thing.

If more people join in, that will be fine ... then it won't suck if people skip some.

The problem is that RM's out, and both 1010 and I are concerned with being able to brew for it monthly (for different reasons) ...

I had to dig in to make the stout happen, and I had to work overnight twice last week to make the room for the Kolsch because I'm slammed w/ houses again ...

You wouldn't want to wear an uncontested tiara, would you? ;) ...

I also understand not mapping out too far etc etc, but let's keep it 2-3x in advance, for procuring ingredients etc ...

I don't have an LHBS, and the one's close enough for two-day delivery didn't have Kolsch stuff (yeast or the malt I wanted), so I had to pay for upgraded shipping (which sucks for when it's base malt weight) ...

For instance, I also like doing the regular TD's here ...

Until we get a critical mass of entrants, advance notice is the best guarantor of participation, IMHO ...

Back