• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! New Year New Food Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd try.

Korean Bulgogi Cheesesteak Sammich.

Marinaded prime ribeye.

Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Garlic
Chile garlic sauce
Brown sugar
White sugar

With fresno chile, carrot, onion, and green bell pepper.

Cooked on a flattop.

I American scheezed it on a french bun.

I dunno'.

Stupid photofucyu.

OK ...

I'm going to talk about everything but the 'murica cheese ...

Looks good, and I'm glad you cooked Asian style - as you were often interested in the Asian fusion stuff in the SOTM thread, but I don't recall you cooking it!

Now, the cheese ... I'm just going to trust, I guess. I had it on apple pie once and liked it.

Cheers!

It's a commonly-held misconception in the U.S. of A that Thomas Edison invented the first electric lightbulb. He did not. What he did invent first was the means by which electricity could be easily distributed to places far from the point of origin.

And then Tesla came and showed him how to really distribute the electricity, and then Edison killed an elephant in public to make Tesla look bad.. This is also after Edison promised Tesla a hefty sum to improve some things, then laughed it off when he did and refused to pay.. /screwEdisonRant

Move to Flickr. They do better with color. I like Flickr, and they made it slightly easier to figure out how to post pictures (but I still do it the old way). Botophucket is a pain in the arse.

I haven't used Flickr in a while, IMGUR is great because you don't need an account, it takes just seconds to upload and get a link to your pic.

Pork Tamales

[SIZE=medium]This is a pork tamale recipe with ties to the Guanajuato Region of Mexico. There are a variety of ways to serve Tamales, a festive dish. I chose to serve them without a sauce topping alongside a side of well-fried beans and rice. One could also perhaps serve a salsa or cooling salad to complement. Having not previously made this dish before, I discovered a few issues work through-mainly not having a Tamale-specific steamer and dough thickness. I was able to cobble a steamer together using a few pans (luckily one had holes) from around the kitchen. The dough thickness also wasn't a problem all around. It changed depending on what Tamale I ate. I forgot to add pepper to the beans, so they are more of a complement. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pork[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 cloves garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 1/2 salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]a few peppercorns[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 teaspoons mixed chili powder [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 Ancho chili[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2-3 Chile de arbol[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/4 teaspoon cumin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup AP flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3/4 tablespoons canola oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/2 teaspoon oregano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]dry cornhusks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]tying string[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4 cups Masa Harina[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 1/2 teaspoon salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 cups water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2/3 cup vegetable shortening[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3  tablespoons Canola oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/2 onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 cloves garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 can Frijoles negros [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]a bit of salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Halo spice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]red pepper[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]**Start soaking your corn husks by cleaning them and weighing them down in a bowl of water**[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make well-fried beans:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0.           Slice onion and garlic.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.           Add 3 tablespoons oil to pan.   Add onion to pan, and cook for five minutes. Add garlic and cook for three more minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Raise the heat under skillet and add beans a handful at a time. Mash the beans with a wood block.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Cook for about ten minutes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Tamal batter:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Mix four cups masa harina,  1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder,  1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3 cups water in a large bowl. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           In a separate bowl, beat 2/3 cup vegetable shortening with a mixer until fluffy. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Mix shortening with masa, beating by hand for another ten minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Spread batter onto corn husks as necessary. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Roux[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Toast 1 cup flour briefly in a pan. Add enough oil to saturate. Cook for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Pork Tamales and sauce[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Cut pork into pieces and place in a sauce pan with 6 cups of water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Peel and flatten some garlic with the back of a knife. Add this garlic to sauce pan along with five whole peppercorns.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Bring pan to a boil and allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Remove pot from heat and strain meat out, reserving broth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Tear up meat with your hands and set aside.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Transfer reserved broth to a sauce pan, and add 2 teaspoon mixed chile powder, ground 3 ancho and ground 2-3 chile de arbol, and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Stir previously prepared roux into broth, cooking over medium heat until gravy thickens. Add some oregano and salt as desired.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.           Remove half of the gravy from the sauce pan, and set aside. Add all of the pork to the pan. Mix well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To assemble Tamales[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0.           Set some water on to boil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.           Place a previously cleaned and soaked corn husk on a plate and spread some Tamal batter on it, leaving space around the edges and more space toward the point.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Dollop one or two spoonfuls of pork filling on top of Tamal batter.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Carefully fold corn husk in half, bring the edges of the Tamal spread together. Overlap remaining corn husk.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Fold the ends of the corn husks inward, and tie with string.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Place in steaming device, being careful to not let Tamales touch boiling water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Steam Tamales for 90 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Serve un-wrapped with a side of well-fried beans [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=22pt]Mussel Bound Coconut Curry[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]What it takes:[/SIZE]

·         2 tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola)
·         3 sliced shallots
·         2 small red bell peppers or 1 large, seeded and diced
·         4 tablespoons red curry paste
·         2 tablespoons minced garlic
·         2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
·         Few crushed Thai Dragon peppers (any Thai pepper will work)
·         2 cans (each 15 oz.) coconut milk
·         2 tablespoons fish sauce
·         2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
·         2 lb. mussels, cleaned
·         Salt, to taste
·         Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

How to Prepare:
In a 4-quart sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the shallots and bell pepper and sauté until the shallots are translucent and the bell pepper is soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the curry paste, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice and bring a boil.

Add the mussels to the pan, discarding any that do not close to the touch. Cover the pan and steam the mussels until they open, shaking the pan occasionally so they cook evenly, 4 to 6 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Season to taste with salt.

Eating! Spoon the mussels into a large bowl, cover with broth and top with cilantro. If you want additional flavor squeeze some fresh lime and add paper flakes into the bowl.

Just prior to adding mussels:

[SIZE=9pt]
10847462_924643717569355_4262764685806748873_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

Mussels in for a swim:

10687930_924643720902688_1831949349013812309_o.jpg

Into a large bowl:

10921625_924643710902689_1682431805408579305_o.jpg

Into a serving bowl:

10854967_924643774236016_5101465014141564898_o.jpg

Up close and personal:

10750145_924643780902682_7780793840851159386_o.jpg

Woo... there's some really good looking stuff here! My photography skills are minimal, but WTH...

Chicken and seafood have always been eaten by the Maya peoples in the Yucatán , as well as rabbit, venison, doves, pheasant... and pork in post-Columbian times. These are often cooked with chile peppers, habaneros, tomatoes, achiote, wild onions, chayote and cucumbers. As with the rest of the Caribbean, fruit plays a big part in the cuisine. Papaya, bananas (and plantains), mamey, oranges, avocado, guava, mango, guanabana and pineapple are common. Contact with the Europeans also introduced cumin, coriander and saffron. If I had to come up with a terse description of foods of the Yucatán, I'd say sweet and peppery, though the food itself is usually fairly mild compared to other parts of Mexico. The natives like to get a blast of intense heat up front with salsas and sauces made with habaneros and let the heat dwindle while enjoying the flavors of the food.

Traditionally, this dish would be pit-roasted in banana leaves and served up with plenty of warm tortillas to make tacos.

Stickman's  Yucatan-style Asado de Puerco Con Chile Guero, Plantano y Piloncillo

1 small cone of piloncillo (or 2 tbsp dark brown sugar like I used)
3/4 cup of water
1-1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 pound of fresh yellow chiles (like Hungarian Hot Wax or Banana peppers. I used the Hungarians)
a 2-pound boneless pork shoulder roast
a medium white onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
banana leaves to line the pot and more to line the serving platter
a large ripe plantain, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
salt to taste

Garnish:
1 small red onion cut into 1/8 inch rings and rinsed under cold running water
2 limes cut into wedges

1. add sugar to hot water and dissolve, then set aside

2. roast chiles over an open flame or 4 inches under a broiler until blackened and blistered all over. Place in a bowl and cover with a kitchen towel until cool enough to handle. Cut off the stem end, slit up the side from one end to the other and open out flat. Gently scrape out seeds and membrane, flip over and scrape away blackened skin. Cut into 1/2 inch slices

3.In a large (7 qt) dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high. Brown the pork on all sides and remove to a plate. Add white onion and cook until richly browned (make sure to incorporate all the brown crispies on the side of the pot!) Scrape out and set aside with rajas (roasted pepper strips)

4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line unwashed dutch oven with banana leaves after cutting away with scissors any of the hard mid-rib that may still be attached.  Place pork inside first, followed by rajas, caramelized onions, plantains, and finally pour sugar water over the top. Fold over the ends of the banana leaves to cover, secure lid or cover as tightly as possible with aluminum foil and bake until fork tender... about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

5. Line a warm serving platter with more banana leaf . Transfer the pork to the platter with 2 spatulas and use a pair of tongs to break up into small chunks.

6. Remove banana leaves from pot, scraping any lingering goodness back inside. If there's a lot of fat on top of the pan juices, spoon it off. Taste the juices and season to taste with salt. Spoon everything in the pot over the pork. Garnish with red onion slices and lime wedges and serve with Habanero sauce and plenty of tortillas for making tacos!
SANY0113_zps8be6d427.jpg

SANY0114_zps4e690e06.jpg

Perfect Potstickers (gyōza)

First a little history, courtesy of Wikipedia....

The most popular preparation method is the pan-fried style called yaki-gyōza (焼き餃子), in which the dumpling is first fried on one flat side, creating a crispy skin. Then, water is added and the pan sealed with a lid, until the upper part of the gyōza is steamed. Other popular methods include boiled sui-gyōza (水餃子) and deep fried age-gyōza (揚げ餃子).

There are lots of ways to prepare these and I can't wait to try more. I adapted this recipe based on the flavor profile I wanted so feel free to add what veggies you want or what protein. Pork or Shrimp seem to work best from what I read.

I've been wanting to make these at home forever. Every time I eat out at a Chinese restaurant I order them. Heck, I even buy them frozen in a bag from Costco. Ling Ling brand potstickers I believe. BUT I've never made them at home, until tonight, and they turned out awesome. The recipe makes about 48. Whatever you don't eat you can freeze and then cook later.

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground pork
1 cup shredded green cabbage
3 oz. shiitake mushrooms, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup diced carrots
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tbsp Hoisin
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Sriracha, or more, to taste
1/4 tsp white pepper
48 2 inch won ton wrappers
2 tbsp vegetable oil

For the dipping sauce:
Soy sauce
Hot chili oil
Hot pepper flakes

Preparation:
Combine pork, cabbage,mushrooms,garlic,green onion,hoisin,ginger,sesame oil,Sriracha,and white pepper.

To assemble dumplings, spoon 1 tbsp of the pork mixture into the center of each wrapper. Rub the edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the wrapper over the filling to create a half moon shape and then pinch the edges to seal.

Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add potstickers and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.

Kudos. One of my favorite things on the planet, which I've never made ...

Mmmmmm ...

I'm trying to remember if there's a splash of rice wine vinegar in the soy for gyoza - there usually is for shu mai, but I think you have the right dipping sauce for the gyoza ...

Looks killer!

THP - when's the cut-off, tonight? ... is it tonight? ...

10 PM EST ... I RTFM ...

grantmichaels said:
Kudos. One of my favorite things on the planet, which I've never made ...

Mmmmmm ...

I'm trying to remember if there's a splash of rice wine vinegar in the soy for gyoza - there usually is for shu mai, but I think you have the right dipping sauce for the gyoza ...

Looks killer!

THP - when's the cut-off, tonight? ... is it tonight? ...

10 PM EST ... I RTFM ...
ENDS SUNDAY 10 PM EST

I was trying to figure out where you were going with those ingredients and now it's so obvious... and frikkin' awesome!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back