• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Oktoberfest - Cooking With Beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
keybrdkid said:
lol well we've been through this before in previous Oktoberfests. Hopefully its more-or-less common knowledge that I don't drink or cook with alcohol.. which sort've makes this whole TD concept a bit biased against someone like me. haha. But I see this time that THP said specifically in the rules that you could use non-alcoholic beer and technically there is no alcohol in the 'beer' I used... which makes me feel a bit better about it. 

I did what I could at any rate. My dessert entry is still not done..i'll be plugging away at it this afternoon. Hopefully I can make the deadline. Another problem with my dessert may have popped up since I finished the dolce de leche. It didn't explode :D.

I stayed up late last night while my mom did the dishes (thanks to her) so I could type up my entry and have something I could at least submit.

I wasn't calling you out! Just wondering if you used any in the noodles or carrots. The ginger would have gone well with either.

I feel the same way about the grilling td's as I have no access to outdoor cooking.

Looks fabulous, but hope my pork gives yours some competition. Cheers and good luck! :)

Alynne said:
I wasn't calling you out! Just wondering if you used any in the noodles or carrots. The ginger would have gone well with either.

I feel the same way about the grilling td's as I have no access to outdoor cooking.

Looks fabulous, but hope my pork gives yours some competition. Cheers and good luck! :)

There is ginger beer in the farfalle (pasta), but not in the sweet potatoes (actually they weren't carrots. hehe)  

There should also be ginger beer in the dessert (at least I hope there will be. If not this is going to be a real short trip...)

1004150839-00_zpsesofdzxl.jpg

1004150840-00_zpswlzeyulu.jpg

1004150840-01_zpsks1uhfoe.jpg

1004150840-03_zpsmfaoyrdu.jpg

1004150854-00_zpsqmb89r1h.jpg

Beerimisu

Absolutely one of my favorite desserts.  I had never tried it with beer before now, and I'm glad I tried it out.  The Guinness and Bailey's together were a great switch.

Ingredients:
1 bottle of Guinness draught, 1lb mascarpone cheese, 3/4 c sugar, 3/4 c heavy whipping cream, Bailey's Irish Cream, package of lady fingers, and some cocoa powder.

To begin combine the mascarpone cheese and sugar and stir together to dissolve/mix the sugar.  Place the heavy cream and 2 tbs Irish cream in a mixing bowl.  Beat/whip the mixture until you get stiff peaks.  Then fold the cream mix into the cheese.  Pour about 1/2 the bottle of Guinness and a tbs of the Bailey's into a shallow flat bowl/dish.  Stir it up and then place the lady fingers into the the beer for just a second on each side.  with the bowl I used I could do about 5 at a time.

After dipping place the fingers in the bottom of the bowl and drizzle the rest of your beer over them.  Then spread the cream mixture over the lady fingers about an inch thick.  I sprinkled a little cocoa powder on that layer.  Then pour the rest of the beer and another tbs of Bailey's into your shallow bowl and repeat dipping the lady fingers, and the cream, followed by sifting a little more cocoa powder over the top.

After you're done put some plastic wrap over and place in the fridge overnight.  This really lets everything meld together.  You could probably eat it immediately after, but I always chill it.  The next day take it out and slice it up and enjoy!  Its a really simple dessert and so delicious.  I was intimidated to try it when we first made it, but quickly learned that I was capable.  

I had a German friend for many years, who's mom made the best tiramisu I've ever had ... she used amaretto and espresso, and it was sublime ...

I used to love when he'd bring some over the next day.
Also, nice photos of it - they're speaking the language of my craving.

grantmichaels said:
I had a German friend for many years, who's mom made the best tiramisu I've ever had ... she used amaretto and espresso, and it was sublime ...

I used to love when he'd bring some over the next day.
Thats what we use when we make the classic version.  I have to say though, that the Guinness and Bailey's had a slight coffee taste to it.  While it was different, it was also great in its own way.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Spicy drinks while I ponder the cook time and the beans simmer away

12046904_1085614484805610_8587441891820435829_n.jpg
Man I think one of those would be great right now.  I had a few too many brews last night.  I love a Bloody Mary in the morning.

Ozzy2001 said:
Beerimisu

Absolutely one of my favorite desserts.  I had never tried it with beer before now, and I'm glad I tried it out.  The Guinness and Bailey's together were a great switch.

Ingredients:
1 bottle of Guinness draught, 1lb mascarpone cheese, 3/4 c sugar, 3/4 c heavy whipping cream, Bailey's Irish Cream, package of lady fingers, and some cocoa powder.

To begin combine the mascarpone cheese and sugar and stir together to dissolve/mix the sugar.  Place the heavy cream and 2 tbs Irish cream in a mixing bowl.  Beat/whip the mixture until you get stiff peaks.  Then fold the cream mix into the cheese.  Pour about 1/2 the bottle of Guinness and a tbs of the Bailey's into a shallow flat bowl/dish.  Stir it up and then place the lady fingers into the the beer for just a second on each side.  with the bowl I used I could do about 5 at a time.

After dipping place the fingers in the bottom of the bowl and drizzle the rest of your beer over them.  Then spread the cream mixture over the lady fingers about an inch thick.  I sprinkled a little cocoa powder on that layer.  Then pour the rest of the beer and another tbs of Bailey's into your shallow bowl and repeat dipping the lady fingers, and the cream, followed by sifting a little more cocoa powder over the top.

After you're done put some plastic wrap over and place in the fridge overnight.  This really lets everything meld together.  You could probably eat it immediately after, but I always chill it.  The next day take it out and slice it up and enjoy!  Its a really simple dessert and so delicious.  I was intimidated to try it when we first made it, but quickly learned that I was capable.  

That is just brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back