• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Oktoberfest - Cooking With Beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deconstructed Beer-nana Creme Pie

This one ended up being a lot more difficult than I first anticipated. The mess I left in my kitchen, trying to cook dulce-de-leche and running out of stick lighters to brulee the bananas proved to make this a complex endeavor. I think the end result was interesting, however. The Meringue was particularly tricky. If you let the ginger beer sugar syrup cool too much it turns into a hard rock. Too hot and I'm not sure it would have worked since meringue has egg whites in it. And then you needed to brown the top of the meringue too. Whew. Anyways. was a fun experiment.

Ingredient List:

sweetened condensed milk
Ginger beer
water
vanilla extra
tapioca pudding
dark chocolate morsels
vanilla wafers
sliced almonds
cayenne pepper
butter
sugar
salt
cinnamon
egg whites
bananas
raw sugar for brulee

To make the Dulce-de-leche:

1.           Remove the label from a can of condensed milk.
2.           Place the can in a very large pot of water. Cover completely
3.           Heat water to boiling, and then carefully watch the water level for 3 hours. You may want to reduce the heat if you are concerned that the can is bending. You will hear it do so. Heat on, heat off method seems to work.
4.           Let can cool to room temperature. The end result is a thick syrupy sweet liquid.
5.           Transfer the can contents to a bowl. Add one tablespoon vanilla extract.
6.           Refrigerate until needed.

To make the Tapioca pudding:

1.           Melt 2 oz. chocolate morsels in a bowl.
2.           Combine 1 cup tapioca pudding mix with the chocolate and stir well. A rough powdery mixture should form.
3.           In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons chocolate tapioca mixture, 2 3/4 cup whole milk, and 1 beaten egg. Stir well, and then let mixture stand five minutes.
4.           Cook on medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
5.           Let cool 20 minutes. Refrigerate.

To make Crumble:

1.           Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
2.           In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers. 1/2 cup crushed sliced almonds, 4 tablespoons melted butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Stir well to combine.
3.           Spread the result out on the aluminum foil and bake for 6 minutes. Let cool.

To make Meringue:

0.           I advise not to make the syrup until you have already partially worked with your egg whites. Or time it just right so you have both ready at the same time. More than likely the syrup will harden before you can work with it if you don't.
1.           In a bowl, combine four egg whites and a half teaspoon salt. Using an electric mixer, beat this mixture well until  bubbles form.
2.           Combine 1 cup sugar, a pour of ginger beer, some cayenne pepper, and 1/4 cup water in a pan.
3.           Heat mixture to a boil, then continue boiling until a thermometer reads 245 F. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. You need it in a slightly liquid form.
4.           Transfer the syrup mixture to the egg white bowl. Using the mixer, blend on high speed for as long as necessary to make stiff peaks start to form. Bubbles don't seem to count as stiff peaks here. This could take a while, but the mixture should take on the consistency of a melted marshmallow.
5.           Dollop the meringue on the serving plate and use a torch flame or lighter to brown the top slightly.

To make the Caramelized Bananas:

1.           Cut some bananas length-wise, trying to keep them in one piece.
2.           Pour out 1/2 cup raw sugar onto a plate.
3.           Roll banana slice in the sugar to coat well.
4.           Place bananas on a piece of aluminum foil or keep on same place, then use a cooking torch or lighter to caramelize the sugar. Try not to burn the bananas.

Assembling all ingredients:

1.           Arrange bananas on plate as desired. Dollop meringue on plate, then brown with torch.
2.           Add crumble and tapioca pudding as desired.
3.           Add Dulce de leche and melted chocolate. Serve.

FreeportBum said:
I've cooked but it's looking like I'm not gonna have time to type it all up.  that's the only part I don't like, well that and not being able to taste all the awesome food everyone cooks  :cheers:

i'm working to be able to brew and do mine tomorrow ... see ya there, lol ...

FreeportBum said:
I've cooked but it's looking like I'm not gonna have time to type it all up.  that's the only part I don't like, well that and not being able to taste all the awesome food everyone cooks  :cheers:
Getting closer, I typed mine up before I started drinking based on previous tds...

12088391_1085770921456633_3009224681168241406_n.jpg

Cheesy Buns

Dogs cooked in Beer, onto the cheesy buns and into the toaster oven...

:party:

:cheers:

The JayT     :lol: 

Hot dogs cooked in Cheap Beer in the Microwave
10.3.15%20Finished%20in%20the%20Toster%20Dogs_zpssaoolicc.jpg

Finished in the Toaster Oven

Homemade pickle, onion and peppers relish !

coleslaw spiced up with various hot pepper powders

served with Beans (W/ hotdog beer added)  and Slaw w/ more pepper powder

:cheers:

G I P

I'm really confused, will look at this sober tomorrow.

But did someone really microwave dogs in a TD?????? When JayT doesn't even really do that? LOL!

Perhaps that joke went too far. :rofl:

Creamed Adobo chicken over drunken egg noodles

with Garlic collard greens and kale in a beer based potliquor

Eight drumb sticks

Eight bay leaves

Ten garlic cloves

Cup soy sauce

Cup vinegar

Table spoon peppercorns

Two Guinness beers

One large yellow onion

Ten dried smoked red jalapenos

Put all in crockpot for 8 hours. Pick out chicken and set aside

Place two Guinness beers and four cups water to boil. Add egg noodles .

Create basic white sauce with butter, flour, milk. Add the chicken.

Pour sauced chicken over noodles.

Side dish

One bunch kale

One bunch collard greens

Five garlic cloves

One small yellow onion

Olive oil

One Guinness beer

Dryed chipotle from Adobo

Fry up kale, greens, onion, and garlic. Add beer and let simmer.

Sliced pickled fresnos to garnish

1004150839-00_zpsesofdzxl.jpg

1004151733-00_zpsqyxgaxi7.jpg

1004151733-01_zpsl12zgnen.jpg

12067313_10205031285890411_168876600_n-1_zpsrgbyfdjx.jpg

1004151746-00-2_zpszmatz5ab.jpg

[SIZE=16pt]Guinness Beer Battered Fish Tacos with Pecan Smoked Habanero Lime Crema, Sweet Beer Battered Onion Rings, and Black Beans[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Fish and Onion Rings[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Ingredients:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Fryer – or oil ( 4 – 6 cups) and large pot for frying[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]2 pounds fresh fish filet[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]2 large onions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Corn tortillas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]2 cups all-purpose flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]½ cup cornstarch[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 tablespoon baking powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]½ tablespoon paprika[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 teaspoon Joyner’s Tri-Thai[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 14.9 oz. can of Guinness[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]2 tablespoons Dijon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 teaspoon honey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Kosher salt to taste[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Directions: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Heat fry or oil to 375. Prepare fish by making sure all bones are removed and cut into nice size chunks. Slice ends from onions, peel, and cut crosswise to about ½ inch thick. Separate the rings carefully making sure to keep them whole. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Place the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, paprika and Tri-Thai in a large bowl and whisk. In a smaller bowl mix the beer, mustard and honey. Add the wet to the dry and mix well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Dip the onion rings a few times into the batter shaking off any excessive and place carefully into the oil. The rings will take roughly 2 minutes per side and should be golden brown. Once removed salt and place on a wire rack to allow the rings to drain.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Depending on the type of fish and thickness, follow the same procedure as above changing the cook time to match your fish. Make sure between batches of onion rings and fish you allow the oil the ability to return to 375.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Once all the fish and onion rings are cooked and resting on the wire rack, use a taco mold and cook a few taco shells in the hot oil.[/SIZE]

12088055_1085201034846955_691131772908566452_n.jpg

12140209_1085801188120273_9099464064098714226_o.jpg

12087213_1085801234786935_5437826887681116734_o.jpg

[SIZE=16pt]Lime Creama[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 pecan smoked habanero[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 whole lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 cup sour cream[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Salt to taste[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Directions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Gently smoke the habaneros with pecan wood or buy if you can find them. Dice the habanero and add to one cup of sour cream. Zest ½ the lime along with the juice of the lime into the sour scream. A pinch of salt, stir and taste. Put in the fridge until needed for serving.[/SIZE]

12087681_1085801191453606_1834461033294603964_o.jpg

11230921_1085801178120274_7644746970780715882_o.jpg

12038654_1085801218120270_5411468017808965914_o.jpg

[SIZE=16pt]Black Beans[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 pound of dry black beans[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]4 cups chicken or vegetable stock[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]2 cups water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 medium onion, diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 yellow bell, diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 red bell, diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 smoked habanero, diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]2 tablespoons chili powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]2 tablespoons cumin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 teaspoon Kosher salt[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Directions:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Follow directions on beans to prepare for cooking. Add the beans, peppers, onion, stock and water a large pot. Bring everything to a boil, cover and turn to low for 1.5 hours. Remove the lid and add all dry ingredients, stir and cover for an additional hour or longer depending on desired liquid level. [/SIZE]

Neapolitan Ice Cream Float

This is a super simple, but very delicious recipe!

We will start with our ingredients.
20151004_210838.jpg

Scoop out about 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream.
20151004_211237.jpg

Add about 2-3 tablespoons of strawberry topping.
20151004_211347.jpg

Now pour in a bottle of chocolate beer.  The only thing I had available at 8pm on Sunday night was a chocolate espresso porter.  A chocolate stout would have worked even better.

And the all important straw push!
20151004_211612.jpg

Enjoy!

Fresh Maine Lobster on Roasted Bone Marrow toasts-

INGREDIENTS:

2lb+ Fresh Maine lobster
Sour dough eppi
Roasted Bone Marrow
Fresh garlic
Roasted Poblano Pepper
Sea salt

Directions:

Roast beef/veal bones @ 450F for 45 minutes or so. Steam Lobster with salted water until cooked 10-12 minutes depending on size, remove meat from shell and set aside. Rub toasts with fresh cut clove of garlic, then spread with roasted bone marrow. Grill toasts over hard wood lump, then spread a little more Roasted bone marrow on grilled toasts. Top with Lobster and sliced roasted poblano peppers. 
20151003_163846.jpg

20151003_163906.jpg

20151003_163934.jpg

French Onion and Stout Soup:

INGREDIENTS:

Homemade beef stock
Red and yellow onions
Mean Old Tom Stout 
Browned Clarified butter
Sprig of fresh Thyme
Fontina cheese
Gruyere cheese
Rustica Bread
Garlic
Flat leaf parsley

Homemade stock:
Leeks
carrots
parsley
thyme
pepper corns
Dried Shiitake mushrooms
Beef/veal bones
Garlic
Shallots
Fennel
Mean Old Tom Stout
Bay Leaves

Directions for homemade stock:
Roast bones @ 450F for 20 mintutes then add all ingredients except pepper corns and bay leaves for stock to roasting pan with bones and roast another 25-30 minutes adding about 2 cups of Stout during roasting. Then add to stock pot with pepper corns and bay leaves and simmer 4 hours skimming fat as you go. Strain through cheese cloth and reserve.

Directions for French Onion and Stout soup:
Slice onions and cook for about 4 hours on low heat until desired color. Add stout to deglaze,add thyme and beef stock, bring to a simmer. Turn off heat. Ladle into bowls, top with garlic herb crutons and cheese. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back