• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Oktoberfest - Cooking With Beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beer Battered Shrimp PoBoy
On homemade sourdough beer bread
With beer battered bacon wrapped cherry pepper poppers and onion rings
 ​

Beer Battered Shrimp and Onion rings                             

• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour                             Combine all ingredients until it is well blended and smooth.    Dip shrimp in batter then deep fry at 350f for 3 minutes.   Slice onion                           
  • 1 teaspoon salt                                              into thick rings, dip into her batter then deep fry until golden brown.                                                            
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder                                        
  • 1/2 cup Lefthand Milk Stout                                          
  • 1 egg                                                                                  
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Sourdough Beer Bread

• 100 grams sourdough starter                        Combine the stout, the yeast and the sourdough until all the sourdough starter is dissolved.  Add in the flour and mix at a low speed
  • 600 grams bread flour                                   for 1 minute.  Let rest for 30 minutes then add salt.  Then mix with a dough hook for 5 minutes at a medium speed.  After the 5 minute
  • 400 grams Lefthand Milk Stout                    mix put dough into an oiled bowl and let ferment at room temperature for 2-3 hours.   After the ferment turn onto a floured surface and 
  •    15 grams sea salt                                         let rest for 10 minutes.  Divide dough and shape into loaves.  Cover loaves and let rise again for about an hour.  Bake at 450f for 22 minutes.
  •    7 grams instant yeast

Cherry Pepper Poppers

• 1 container of cream cheese                                          Combine cream cheese, moruga puree, and shredded cheese and set aside.  Stem and deseed all of the peppers.  Stuff each 
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese                                 pepper with the cream cheese spread and then wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon.  Cook in oven for 15 minutes @ 450f or until bacon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Buddy's pecan smoked moruga puree        is crisp.  Let cool.  Dip into bear batter then deep fry for 2 or 3 minutes until golden brown.
  • cherry peppers
  • bacon
  • beer batter

Spicy Remoulade Sauce
  • 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise                                                       Combine all ingredients in a food processor and refrigerate until needed.
  • 1/4 cup mustard
  • 1 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon pickle juice
  • 1 tablespoon capers
  • 1 teaspoon horseradish
  • 1/4 teaspoon Buddy's pecan smoked moruga puree          

Assembly of PoBoy

• Slice and toast beer bread
  • slather spicy remoulade on both sides of bread
  • layer shrimp, shredded lettuce and sliced tomato

Image.jpg

Image 1.jpg

IMG_6068.JPG

IMG_6069.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_6073.JPG

IMG_6075.JPG

Many firsts for me in preparing this TD.  The beer flavor was noticeable in the bread, both in taste and appearance.   The beer batter was very good, especially when it first came out of the fryer.   The pepper poppers really were the star of the dish.  The smoked moruga puree gave it a nice kick and mixed with the bacon and beer batter it was very tasty.  I was very happy with the results.

.55. This is certainly going to be time-dependent on what I get done tonight and tomorrow. I'm posting ingredients for an entree/side and dessert entry. Just not sure if I can get both done. Dulce de leche is slowing me down. It may not end up turning out right because I'm being VERY cautious with the heating of the condensed milk in the can. I dont think my pan is deep enough to properly distribute the heated water. I do not want to have to clean that mess off my kitchen walls ect. Also I don't want to be splashed with heated water if the can were to explode because I'll probably be working in the same area for the duration of its three hour cooking time. If it (as I suspect,) doesnt come out I may just leave it out or substitute something not in my pol. thats if I even get that far. But hopefully i'll be able to finish all or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back