• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Oktoberfest - Cooking With Beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sevenstrings said:
If i drank beer or had beer in the house I'd try to whip up somethin.

Can I substitute beer for whiskey? ;-)

If you can substitute beer for whiskey umm you have beer lol.

There be beer fer cookin. Gonna give this one a go.

Stay tuned

chilli_pepper_cooking_lg_clr_1_zps1317b53b.gif

Ok here is my thought process:

I'm gonna make a adobo in the crock pot tomarrow using Guiness instead of water.

Pick out the chicken

Boil egg noodles in beer

Then make a chicken cream sauce to go over the noodles

Well something like that anyway

STAY TUNED
https://youtu.be/80ZrUI7RNfI

Cocoa-Crusted Pork Rib Chops with Vermont Cheddar Farfalle

This is a different twist on a pork rib chops-with ginger beer. The pork was coated prior to cooking with a spice mixture consisting of cocoa powder, paprika, crushed fennel seeds, sea salt, and cayenne pepper. The pork was seared first, and then finished in the oven. The skillet used to sear the pork was de-glazed, and then mixed with cream to make a sauce for the pork that was used later. Sweet Potatoes with rosemary were used as a topping.   

Ingredient List:

fennel seed
sea salt
cocoa powder
paprika
cayenne pepper
pork rib chops
EV Olive Oil
sweet potatoes
fresh rosemary
Jamaican Ginger Beer
brown sugar
light cream
butter
flour
chicken broth
whole milk
garlic cloves
dry mustard
Cabot Vermont Cheddar Cheese
Farfelle Pasta

To make Pork Rib Chops:

1.           Preheat oven to 350 F.
2.           Combine 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, a bit of cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon paprika. Use a flat surface to grind up the fennel seeds a bit.
3.           Pat the rib chops dry, and then coat both sides well with the spice mixture.
4.           Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan, and sear pork five minutes on a side at medium heat. Reserve pan drippings for later.
5.           Spray a cooking dish, then place rib chops in flat dish and cook in oven for 25 minutes.
6.           Let rib chops rest at least five minutes.
7.           Clean, skin, Chop, and slice some sweet potatoes. Good luck. Following the lengthwise grain seems to help. Use a very sharp knife. Watch your fingers.
8.           Transfer the sweet potato pieces to a mixing bowl and coat with two tablespoons olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons minced Rosemary leaves, and toss again.
9.           Spread sweet potatoes out on a cookie sheet coated with aluminum foil-then salt as desired.
10.         Bake sweet potatoes at 350F for 15 minutes, using a spoon to mix/flip them at that point. Then cook them for another 15 minutes until done.
11.         Using the pan drippings you reserved earlier, add 1/2 cup ginger beer. Stir the bits in the pan well with the beer, then add a tablespoon of brown sugar. Simmer this liquid on medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until mixture becomes sticky.
12.         Reduce heat to low and whisk in 3/4 cup cream. Continue to cook 5 minutes.
13.         Spoon sauce onto plate and place rib chop on top of sauce. Top with Sweet Potatoes and serve with Farfalle.

To make Vermont Cheddar Farfalle.

0.           mince two fresh garlic cloves. set aside.
1.           Preheat oven to 375F.
2.           Heat a large pot of water with salt and some olive oil.
3.           In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup flour and stir well. Mixture will clump a bit. Cook for about 2 minutes.
3.           Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and keep stirring.
4.           Reduce heat to medium low, and add 1/4 cup ginger beer and one cup whole milk. Bring the mixture back to a simmer.
5.           Add the garlic pieces, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, some cayenne pepper, and some sea salt-then mix well.
6.           Grate two cups Vermont Cheddar Cheese and add to the saucepan. Stir well to incorporate. Make sure the cheese melts-it should easily.
7.           Remove the pan from heat, cover and set aside.
8.           When the water boils, cook the pasta 7 minutes until done-stirring occasionally.
9.           Drain, but do not rinse, pasta and return to large pan. Mix farfalle with cheese mixture and stir well to combine.
10.         Grease a large casserole dish and transfer farfalle mixture from saucepan to dish. Flatten out well, and then grate some addtional Vermont cheddar across the top of the dish.
11.         Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

keybrdkid said:
Cocoa-Crusted Pork Rib Chops with Vermont Cheddar Farfalle This is a different twist on a pork rib chops-with ginger beer. The pork was coated prior to cooking with a spice mixture consisting of cocoa powder, paprika, crushed fennel seeds, sea salt, and cayenne pepper. The pork was seared first, and then finished in the oven. The skillet used to sear the pork was de-glazed, and then mixed with cream to make a sauce for the pork that was used later. Sweet Potatoes with rosemary were used as a topping.    Ingredient List: fennel seedsea saltcocoa powderpaprikacayenne pepperpork rib chopsEV Olive Oilsweet potatoesfresh rosemaryJamaican Ginger Beerbrown sugarlight creambutterflourchicken brothwhole milkgarlic clovesdry mustardCabot Vermont Cheddar CheeseFarfelle Pasta To make Pork Rib Chops: 1.           Preheat oven to 350 F.2.           Combine 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, a bit of cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon paprika. Use a flat surface to grind up the fennel seeds a bit.3.           Pat the rib chops dry, and then coat both sides well with the spice mixture.4.           Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan, and sear pork five minutes on a side at medium heat. Reserve pan drippings for later.5.           Spray a cooking dish, then place rib chops in flat dish and cook in oven for 25 minutes.6.           Let rib chops rest at least five minutes.7.           Clean, skin, Chop, and slice some sweet potatoes. Good luck. Following the lengthwise grain seems to help. Use a very sharp knife. Watch your fingers.8.           Transfer the sweet potato pieces to a mixing bowl and coat with two tablespoons olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons minced Rosemary leaves, and toss again.9.           Spread sweet potatoes out on a cookie sheet coated with aluminum foil-then salt as desired.10.         Bake sweet potatoes at 350F for 15 minutes, using a spoon to mix/flip them at that point. Then cook them for another 15 minutes until done.11.         Using the pan drippings you reserved earlier, add 1/2 cup ginger beer. Stir the bits in the pan well with the beer, then add a tablespoon of brown sugar. Simmer this liquid on medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until mixture becomes sticky.12.         Reduce heat to low and whisk in 3/4 cup cream. Continue to cook 5 minutes.13.         Spoon sauce onto plate and place rib chop on top of sauce. Top with Sweet Potatoes and serve with Farfalle. To make Vermont Cheddar Farfalle. 0.           mince two fresh garlic cloves. set aside.1.           Preheat oven to 375F.2.           Heat a large pot of water with salt and some olive oil.3.           In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup flour and stir well. Mixture will clump a bit. Cook for about 2 minutes.3.           Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and keep stirring.4.           Reduce heat to medium low, and add 1/4 cup ginger beer and one cup whole milk. Bring the mixture back to a simmer.5.           Add the garlic pieces, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, some cayenne pepper, and some sea salt-then mix well.6.           Grate two cups Vermont Cheddar Cheese and add to the saucepan. Stir well to incorporate. Make sure the cheese melts-it should easily.7.           Remove the pan from heat, cover and set aside.8.           When the water boils, cook the pasta 7 minutes until done-stirring occasionally.9.           Drain, but do not rinse, pasta and return to large pan. Mix farfalle with cheese mixture and stir well to combine.10.         Grease a large casserole dish and transfer farfalle mixture from saucepan to dish. Flatten out well, and then grate some addtional Vermont cheddar across the top of the dish.11.         Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.       
Look great Key, but is Ginger beer the only beer you used?

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW looking fantastic gang I'm loving this one!!! Hope we don't float away before the finish!!! Lol

Alynne said:
Look great Key, but is Ginger beer the only beer you used?

lol well we've been through this before in previous Oktoberfests. Hopefully its more-or-less common knowledge that I don't drink or cook with alcohol.. which sort've makes this whole TD concept a bit biased against someone like me. haha. But I see this time that THP said specifically in the rules that you could use non-alcoholic beer and technically there is no alcohol in the 'beer' I used... which makes me feel a bit better about it. 

I did what I could at any rate. My dessert entry is still not done..i'll be plugging away at it this afternoon. Hopefully I can make the deadline. Another problem with my dessert may have popped up since I finished the dolce de leche. It didn't explode :D.

I stayed up late last night while my mom did the dishes (thanks to her) so I could type up my entry and have something I could at least submit.

Red Chili Pork with Port City Oktoberfest
Fresh Corn Soufflé with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Lime Cilantro Rice 

Red Chili Pork:

Dried Chilies: Chipolte, Ancho, Pasilla, Guajillo, Cayanne, Serrano, Habenero, Puya and Trinidad Scorpion (Basically everything I can find in the drawer)
4 lbs Pork Shoulder – cubed
Juice of 3 Limes
¼ cup chopped Cilantro
1 ½ onions
3 cloves Garlic
2 Poblanos
1 Port City Oktoberfest
½ cup coffee

Toast, seed and shred dried peppers.  Reconstitute in boiling water.

Blend all peppers with soaking liquid, ½ onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper into paste.  Coat pork with paste (trying not to slop the paste all over the kitchen) and marinate overnight.

Brown one onion, add pork and all chili paste, beer and coffee.  Bring to boil and braise in low oven for 3 hours or so.

Finish on stovetop to thicken, season with additional lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

Corn Soufflé:

6 tbs butter
            1/2 cup flour
            1 cup whole milk
            1 cup pale ale beer
            8 oz Trinidad Scorpion cheddar, grated
            3 cups corn – Maryland Eastern Shore – Fresh frozen in August
            2/3 cup cornmeal
            ¼ cup sour cream
            3 large eggs, separated
            ½ tsp salt
            ½ tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

In a pot over medium heat melt the butter.

Sprinkle with flour, whisk until thickened and light brown in color, about 2 minutes.

Stir in the milk and Sierra Nevada until well combined.

About ¼ cup a time, stir in the cheese, stirring until completely incorporated.

Stir in the corn kernels and cornmeal, remove from heat.

In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sour cream, salt, pepper.

Stir the egg yolk mixture into the corn mixture.

In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. (Unless you have a helper like I did, or work out regularly, use a mixer instead of just a whisk – trust me!)

Stir the egg whites into the corn mixture.

Pour the mixture into a greased 2qt baking dish.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until the edges start to turn light golden brown.

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

Lime Cilantro Rice:

1 cup White Rice
2 cups Chicken Stock
Juice of 2 Limes and Lime Zest
¼ cup chopped Cilantro
Butter
Salt

Toast rice in melted butter with Lime zest and ½ of the Cilantro.
Add Chicken Stock, lime juice and pinch of salt, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to low, cook for 20 min.

Stir in rest of Cilantro, drape with clean dish towel, cover, turn off heat and rest for another 15 min.  

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

The red chili pork is an old favorite.  I don't call it pork chili because it doesn't have any spices in it.  All the flavor comes from the chilies and the lime.

The corn soufflé was new and is really more of a corn pudding. It probably would have risen more in a taller more narrow baking vessel.  It has a sweetness from the corn (no sugar in it) and a little heat from the spicy cheese.  It was a perfect complement to the richness of the pork.

I look forward to eating the leftovers for the rest of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back