• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! P. Dreadie's Memorial Caribbean Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Ozzy and GM.  Even the Kid and his girlfriend liked everything.  But next time I'm doing the One-Pot meal!  Too many dishes!  :lol:

Hang in there Ozzy!  Hope the juice comes back on soon.  

Just stewing a couple tings...

Attachments

• 20160507_211636.jpg
    20160507_211636.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20160507_225837.jpg
    20160507_225837.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 73
Casa de Tinnie

Arroz con Pollo Cubano (Cuban Chicken and Rice).... with Rum Punch....

2016-05-08%2015.56.08_zpsgolwcdeg.jpg

Ingredients: Chicken Rice

- 1kg Chicken thighs
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion
- 3 green onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 scotch bonnett
- 2 bullhorn peppers (1-red, 1-green)
- 1T Scotch bonnet sauce
- Pinch Saffron
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1t Cumin
- 1/4C Passata
- 1 and a half cups beer
- 1 and a half cups chicken stock 
- Chilli Marinated Olives
- S&P

Method

- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to hot pan, in batches, with a little olive oil, set aside when sealed.
- To same pan add onion / green onion / garlic / bay leaves / bullhorn peppers / scotch bonnett and sautee down
- Add saffron and cumin, lighty toast spices
- Add passata, beer, bonnett sauce and olives, mix then return chicken
- Bring to the boil, cover and place into oven at 200C for 25mins
- Remove from oven and leave covered for 10mins

Rum Punch

- 1 part rum
- 2 part ginger beer
- 2 part pineapple juice
- squeeze lime juice (or to taste)

2016-05-08%2016.13.46_zpsgpimpgu8.jpg

2016-05-08%2016.22.30_zpsgo16tevx.jpg

2016-05-08%2017.34.05_zps7z5sr4dg.jpg

2016-05-08%2017.37.32_zpslld9fjfi.jpg

frydad4 said:
It is quite common in Caribbean cuisine to serve dark meat chicken. This has been talked about on this thread already. The cheapest cuts, prepared properly. I dig it.

Actually I bet dark is more expensive there because they prefer it. :) It's all about flavor, white meat, they just don't get it (I'm generalizing). Actually it's probably the same price, and most buy whole birds.

The dish you made is spot on, welcome back to TDs!

The Hot Pepper said:

Actually I bet dark is more expensive there because they prefer it. :) It's all about flavor, white meat, they just don't get it (I'm generalizing). Actually it's probably the same price, and most buy whole birds.

The dish you made is spot on, welcome back to TDs!

Sure as shit, you are right. Leg quarters average %15 more per pound than breast in Jamaica, approximately. At least according to my google research.

Jamaican Kingfish Escovitch with Conch by the Ocean and a Bloody Port Royal

The fish portion of this meal, which involves dressing a cooked fish in a vinegar based pickling sauce, is apparently a Jamaican specialty. I had some king fish in my deep freezer from a recent fishing trip that had been vacuum-sealed in food saver bags by a friend of mine-so I used that. I also had some ginger beer in the fridge which eventually became a non-alcoholic take on the rum based Bloody Port Royal (Dark n' Stormy) drink-named after a Jamaican city that supposedly sank into the sea due to its wickedness. After deciding to go on a conch hunt for my appetizer, I made conch fritters. The fish was excellent. The conch fritters were also excellent when dipped in the escovitch sauce. The Bloody Port Royal was refreshing.

Ingredient List

Onion Powder
Garlic powder
Oregano
Basil
Black pepper
White pepper
Paprika
King fish fillet
Sea salt
Scallion
Celery
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Lemon
Shallot
Red onion
Judy’s Peach Wasp Pepper
All spice
Sugar
Conch meat
Eggs
Green bell pepper
Fresh garlic
baking powder
milk
AP flour
Molasses
blood oranges
pineapple juice
Ginger beer
Ice

To make Jamaican Escovitch:

1.       The first thing you want to do is make the pickling sauce. To do this, slice up ¼ red onion, ½ cup celery, a peach wasp pepper, and ½ shallot into very thin strips.
2.       Place these in a bowl and then add ½ teaspoon sugar, some salt, 6 all spice berries, the juice of one lemon, and ¼ cup balsamic vinegar of Modena.
3.       Mix well, and let this sit overnight in the fridge. Take out of the fridge ½ hour before using.
4.       Then, when you are ready to cook, slice a line through the middle of the fillet. Add a whole scallion and some torn celery leaves.
5.       Drizzle some olive oil on both sides, and then season with salt and pepper.
6.       Heat your grill on medium. Use a small holed grate so that the fish doesn’t fall through the grates.
7.        Make sure the fish is well coated in olive oil, and then grill for five minutes on a side with the lid closed. (check frequently.)
8.       When the fish is ready, take off grill and immediately pour the escovitch sauce over the fish-filling the cavities.
9.       Enjoy.

To make the Conch Fritters:

1.       The first thing you will need is a creole seasoning made from scratch. To do this, add 2 tablespoons onion powder, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons oregano, 2 tablespoons basil, one tablespoon black pepper, one tablespoon white pepper, and five tablespoons paprika to a bowl. Mix well.
2.       Then you need to defrost, wash, and trim your conch strips into very thin pieces. The meat is tough, so I used kitchen scissors.
3.       Begin heating some oil to 360 degrees. Be very careful if not using a proper pan because oil will geyser out and burn you if you are not careful. Learn to jump fast.
4.       In a bowl, combine 6 ounces conch meat, 2 eggs, 1 ½ teaspoons creole spice, ¼ cup diced green bell pepper, 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, one tablespoon garlic pieces, one teaspoon baking powder, and ½ cup milk. Season with a bit of salt and pepper, and mix well.
5.       At this point the mixture will be combined, but not ready for the oil.
6.       Add 1 ½ cup flour to the mixing bowl a little at a time, and stir to combine. The mixture should turn into a thick pancake like batter. Think cookie dough.
7.       When you ready, drop the batter by the spoonful carefully into the hot oil. Let the fritters sizzle for a minute or two, then carefully remove them. Be prepared to jump if the oil starts to pop. Turn off the flame as a precaution. Know how to deal with a grease fire if you start one (I didn’t start one.)
8.       Drain the conch fritters on paper towels and serve with escovitch sauce for dipping. Think Thai spring rolls with a sweet thai chili sauce.

To make a bloody  Port Royal:

1.       I used some substitutions in this drink, so the prep process is slightly different. Instead of rum I used a combination of Molasses and Pineapple Juice. About 2 oz. of each stirred together in a bowl.
2.       I then used the juice of three blood oranges to combine with the molasses/pineapple juice.
3.       I emptied this mixture into a jar, and sealed the jar. I then place jar into a bigger container filled partially with ice to use as a cocktail shaker. I shook this mixture for a while to combine without diluting it, and then poured it out into a glass over ice.
4.       I topped this with four ounces of ginger beer, and a wedge of blood orange for garnish.
5.       Refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back