• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Party Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep on track please or Fun Zone your fat jokes.

The Hot Pepper said:
Keep on track please or Fun Zone your fat jokes.
cb-radio_lamco.png

OK... first classic pie up is the seafood pizza...
SANY0071_zps6e3d076f.jpg

Second classic pie up... Portuguese-style chorizo, potato and rosemary pizza... I need to make this one compatible with my wife's acid reflux, so instead of using tomato sauce I'll be using ajvar made from sweet Kapija peppers I grew this year. It's not a step down in flavor, believe me. :)
SANY0072_zpsf9950c25.jpg

When I see that last pie idea I am reminded of this pork jowel rosemary potato pie I had once... Mmm mmm good.

Nice start!

PIC 1 said:
Here's a starter that's bubbling away......this will be used for one of the five pies.....

Plenty more prep photo's tomorrow........this should be a good one !

Good on ya Greg... you're a bit more ambitious than I am, but would we know you any other way? :P

Haha. 4 pies ain't ambition, nope.

Just returned from a wedding. Tomorrow i'm going to make pizza balls then go out for a birthday, return home and make many pizzas. Also monday i'll have loads of chili con carne. So yesterday i made the most obvious thing: eat a good dish (2 to tell the truth) of pasta with guanciale. Luckily i already lost some weight last month...

My firepower and π pol:
iLqTU5adBnOl8.jpg

Jars are, from left to right, rough powder/flakes of moruga, fatalii, douglah, choco bhut, 
Then there's the last pepper of that year harvest: 1 7pod. Among some other dried 7pods. The rest are annuums, mostly piri piri and calabrese.
Also, on right, some store bought, they are actually hot. I need them for a big chili con carne meal for monday, but maybe i'll use for that td too...
I'll decide which heat where on the moment.

Some ingredients and again π pol:
ilqddhtNkDVbk.jpg

Mozz and (homemade of homegrown tomatoes) passata are no brainers, pepperoni, asiago, stracchino, mascarpone, dark chocolate, red onions, garlic, pomodorini. Homemade pesto alla genovese not in pic. Tomorrow photo of dough. I could also add some olives (i don't know if i have green or black or both now).
Probably i'll make all categories but pizza pan, i'll see.
If i'm not making pizza pan maybe i'll cook an extra thin pizza for TB with anchovies cured with pepper, i'll post that here as a funny extra or in pizza thread.

For standard round pizza i'll use that:
iz3xoswGuSvHB.jpg

Its declared max temp is 390°C (that is still too low), but in truth is much lower: while with a pyrometer i measured, empty, over 380°C, opening it and putting a pizza easlily lowers temp more than 50°C, also it's light (low thermal capacity, you know...) so it will go lower.

OT stuff: i found that pack of 5kg flour, it's cheaper than 1kg classic so i'm pretty happy.
I didn't use for that TD dough (too long ripe time) but it's good.
ibhlihuocLPldT.jpg

My dough has been made like that (description now since tomorrow i'm in hurry):
1kg manitoba flour.
650g fridge water temp.
33g salt
10g evo
5g frozen beer yeast
Start with all water in a bowl, melt yeast inside, start mixing flour, mix, add flour, mix and add flour and so on. Near the end add salt. At the end add evo and knead until is well amalgameted. Close bowl for 15 mins. Fold dough, then put again in bowl for 15 mins, just a bit oiled on bottom. Wait another 15 mins, fold, put again in oiled bowl. I was ok with that, if dough is not "closed" repeat wait and fold.
It was in fridge around 6:30 pm of thursday, i'll pull out around 12 o'clock of sunday.
Also all flour has been sifted. Not a mandatory thing but it wouldn't hurt.
Panielli formation:
I'll make them around 12 o' clock.
At 5pm i return home and see. They should be ready for use. Probably i'll use them on 7pm so i have to see if i have to regenerate them on 5pm, i don't know that flour.
I just hope the yeast wasn't ruined...

I'm just realizing that Danielle made our dough yesterday because I was strapped w/ bullshit re: work ...

I had figured people would use some grocery doughs, and I was just going to say I was using dough she made, but I noted the instructions which clearly state the dough has to be homemade, so I'm sure it has to be made by the member competing ...

I'll probably just use my time this weekend to build the kamado and give it the temp-controlled seasoning cook ...

Besides ... PIC's en fuego =)

grantmichaels said:
I'm just realizing that Danielle made our dough yesterday because I was strapped w/ bullshit re: work ...

I had figured people would use some grocery doughs, and I was just going to say I was using dough she made, but I noted the instructions which clearly state the dough has to be homemade, so I'm sure it has to be made by the member competing ...

I'll probably just use my time this weekend to build the kamado and give it the temp-controlled seasoning cook ...

Besides ... PIC's en fuego =)

I was going to enter with a roasted garlic and redpepper traditional style but I didn't realize we had to make our own dough! I bought a couple balls thursday night. I might try to make some dough sunday night and do one monday but don't think I'll have time. Oh well, I still got a great pizza out of it last night..!

Essegi said:
iz3xoswGuSvHB.jpg

Its declared max temp is 390°C (that is still too low), but in truth is much lower: while with a pyrometer i measured over 380°C, opening it and putting a pizza easlily lowers temp more than 50°C, also it's light (low thermal capacity, you know...) so it will go lower.

OT stuff: i found that pack of 5kg flour,
I didn't use for that TD dough (too long ripe time) but it's good.
ibhlihuocLPldT.jpg

Miedo+bebe.jpg

Epic!

I think Monday we will see some last minute "hey that category looks kinda empty" action... "let me try to win a crown!"

Keep it up guys!

First results are in... all my pies are or will be made with whole wheat dough. The recipe is as follows:

1 heaping tablespoon of yeast
1-1/4 cups lukewarm water
1-1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt

added the yeast to the lukewarm water and then the honey. Put flour and salt into a food processor and gave a few pulses to mix. When the yeast mixture was frothy, I added the oil and poured the wet ingredients in a stream through the gate of the food processor while it was running at low speed. When the dough formed a ball that was rolling around on top of the blade of the food processor, I took it out and kneaded it on the counter for 10 minutes. Let the dough rise for an hour, punched down and divided the dough into 4 pieces, formed into balls, sprayed with olive oil and put them onto an oiled plate and covered with cling wrap. Refrigerated overnight until ready to make the pizza, then allowed to set out at room temperature for an hour before shaping the pizza crust. I'll end up with 4 seven inch personal pizzas. When the crusts are formed and the toppings added, bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for 7-8 minutes. I baked this one here for 12 minutes to get an extra crispy crust, and think I overdid it a little. If you want to make this pie, I'd recommend thin slices of potato and fairly thick slices of chorizo.

First pizza up is Stickman's Classic-style Portuguese Meat and Potatoes pie with whole wheat crust, ajvar, potatoes, chorizo sausage, mozzarella, fresh rosemary and dusted with pepperoncino.  (first time up the lighting was way off, so I re-did the whole thing with the identical ingredients and pol)
SANY0096_zps7b607521.jpg

SANY0094_zpsb787af82.jpg

A single post for each and please name category.

And if you use the same dough recipe for every pie, still post it again. Each post is its own entry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back