• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Pizza Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
grantmichaels said:
Nice loaded pie, and REALLY nice job on the high-key photos.
Thanks Grant.

SmokenFire said:

Now that we've got the killer countertop out of the way......  That pizza looks completely kick ass SR!   :D
Thanks mate, I was told by the person who gave it to me that it "was" Granite. Knowing F-all about stone I believed it. Glad I made a kick ass pizza and not a killer pizza.

Your entry looks delicious..... :P

So many great entries all round. 

SR.

Lunch!!

Sweet and Sour Turkey Pizza

Turkey base with cranberries layered over top with honey on top of that. Turkey from the marinade I did in another thread, added a Jamaican Yellow to add more spice. Dough made from yesterday so its about 18 hour ferment. Cooked in Oven for 25min on 400f preheat 500f
Left it too cool inside oven in hopes the liquid would solidify but did not, much, very taste with bursts of cranberry with the mix of some heat. Juice soaked into bread :)

Buckwheat/Tapioca flour 75/25 yeast and honey to ferment.
Turkey Breast
Cranberies
Jamaican yellow pepper
Honey
Brie added at end to melt.

PB085452_TurkeyPizza-1000_zpscuttz2mu.jpg

PB085454_TurkeyPizza-1000_zpschiykpan.jpg

PB085455_TurkeyPizza-1000_zpsg0wvjcnc.jpg

PB085457TurkeyPizza-1000_zpsb6tkryt7.jpg

PB085459_TurkeyPizza-1000_zpspryq7scb.jpg

'Ode to the Pig' Breakfast Pizza

I love breakfast.  I also love what a pig can provide for breakfast, as well as any meal.  

I made a breakfast pizza using home made sausage gravy as my "sauce".

Sausage gravy:

3/4 lb of sausage 
4 tbs of flour
3 cups of whole milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
kosher salt and pepper to taste.

First you brown the sausage in your pot.  Then add the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the sausage and let it brown.  You don't want the flour to go uncooked or the whole gravy will taste like flour (no good).  After about 5 mins simmering, add the milk and simmer to the desired thickness.

The dough:

1 yeast packet
2 tbs of my fresh grinded malt powder
1 cup of warm water
3 cups of flour
2 tbs of olive oil
1 1/4 tsp of salt

First, I put the yeast in a small bowl with 2 tbs of the water and let it sit for about 10-15 mins.  In a bowl I mixed the flour, olive oil, malt powder, and the salt, then mixed in the yeast and the water.  I stirred until thoroughly mixed and then kneaded by hand.  I let it sit out for about 45 mins, kneaded it a little more then put in a bowl in the fridge to sit.  I pulled the dough out of the fridge about 2 hrs before I was going to use it.  I once again kneaded the dough then rolled it out and folded it a few times until smooth. Then applied the toppings.

The toppings:
I fried up a slice of country ham, and 3 slices of applewood smoked bacon.  After they were fried up I made the hash browns in the drippings.  

The potatoes:
about 2 cups of potatoes
1/4 of a yellow onion
yellow superhot powder
3 unknown brazilian peppers  (These are about jalapeno heat with a great flavor, especially once red. Somewhat sweet)
2 poblano peppers

In the ham and bacon drippings I cooked the potatoes along with onions and peppers.  Once the potatoes had cooked for a little bit I put of couple pinches of the powder on the potatoes, and cooked until desired tenderness.

The eggs:
3 eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs of bacon grease
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

I mixed the eggs and milk in a bowl while the bacon grease melted.  I then poured the eggs in the skillet and stirred around to cook.  Once halfway cooked i put the shredded cheese in to melt and mix together.

Construction:
I spooned the gravy onto the dough and spread evenly.  I then spread potatoes evenly over the gravy, followed by the ham and bacon that I diced up.  Then came the eggs, followed by about a 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.  The spice was even and warmed your mouth without burning.  The country ham really shined out of all the flavors in the pizza.  The gravy kept a wet texture just as tomato sauce would.  I can't stand dried up pizza.  I'm also glad I went with a thicker crust on this pizza too.  It somewhat simulated having a biscuit with the gravy.  I would like to thank the pig that delivered such a delicious meal.  :party:

FreeportBum said:
Crust Lovers Delight : Dinner

Ingredients:
 1 Pie dough
 Smoked Rocoto Lima Market # 1 pods. Smoked over sour apple wood
 1 can crushed san marzano tomatoes that I ran through the food processor then soaked up some of the liquid with paper towels
 Roasted garlic- Homegrown
 Homemade Organic Mozzarella 
 Sauteed Homegrown Shiitake mushrooms
 Sauteed Shallots
 Ricotta Salata rubbed with my own smoked rocoto powder
 Thick Cut Local Bacon-pre cooked 3/4 of the way

Pizza dough Recipe:
For every pie you want to make .....add 

110 g Water
20g Fed Nat levain
175 g KABF
4 g Diastatic malt powder
4 g Salt
pinch IDY(1/16th of a TSP)
Knead 5-7 min 

Dough is at 64% Hydration....2 day cold rise in the fridge. It handles like a dream....doesnt pull back. The dough needs to come to RT before stretching. portion the dough into pats of ~308 grams before going in the icebox. I raise each dough in its own Glad container. Pull dough from icebox 2-3 hours before use depending on your house temp. 

Homemade Mozzarella Recipe:
1 Gallon Local unpasteurized organic whole milk
1.5 tsp Citric Acid
1/4 tsp Organic Liquid vegetable rennet
sea salt
Cheese cloth

Add 1.5 tsp citric acid diluted in 1 cup of cool water to 1 gallon of cold unpasteurized milk. Heat Slowly to 90°F. Remove pot from heat. Slowly stir in 1/4 tsp liquid rennet diluted in 1/4 cup cool water. Cover and let sit 5-10 minutes. Curd should be set. Cut curds and heat slowly to 110°F. Drain curds using cheese cloth and strainer. When most of whey has drained place curds into a glass bowl of hot water, almost to hot to put your hands into. The curd will get soft and this is when you stretch your curd and add some sea salt. Add to your taste. The stretch will give it that nice shine and consistency you looking for. Stop stretching when you've got it how you like it. If it starts to get to stiff place back into hot water for 20-30 seconds.  I can't stress this next part enough: you have to use very high quality unpasteurized whole milk to get the same results. You will not get the same curd unless you use unpasteurized high quality milk. It's also where all your flavor comes from. Grass fed organic milk will can produce something better then anything your buying in the store. 

Directions:
Turn out pizza dough, rub dough with roasted garlic, add sauce, place in 550°F oven for 2-3 minutes. Pull from oven and add cheese then toppings and return to oven for another 3-5 minutes. Then top with crumbled smoked rocoto rubbed local ricotta salata 
attachicon.gif
20151108_130316.jpg
attachicon.gif
20151108_130440.jpg
attachicon.gif
20151108_130356.jpg

attachicon.gif
20151108_130924.jpg
attachicon.gif
20151108_130909.jpg
:cheers:

So much this pie... so much. I look forward to copying the cheese and dough recipes. Though I don't know what half those acronyms are. 

I'm going to figure it out this winter, still can't run the oven yet without spending the rest of the evening at 75F+ ...

going to put the Weber on full-time kettlepizza duty once i freshen it next weekend ...

I was fixing pizza for dinner and thought I'd give this a try, hope I don't screw up.

Dinner pizza: Autumn Inspired Vege

Dough recipe

3 1/4C. lukewarm water
1 TBL. dry yeast
1 1/2 TBL. kosher salt
4C. all purpose flour
4C."00" or bread flour

Add yeast and salt to the water in a 5qt.bowl or some food grade bucket, stir to dissolve. I use a glass ice tea container cause it fits nicely in my already too full refrigerator. This dough needs to age in the frig over night and can be used over the next 2 weeks. Add all the flour and mix with a large spoon. Make sure all is moistened with no dry spots. Allow to rise with a non air tight lid. I just open the round hole in the ice tea container. If you use a food grade bucket crack open the lid. Let rise approximately 2 hrs. Don't punch down the dough. Close the vented lid and refrigerate up to 14 days.

before rise

after rise

Let dough rest over night.

Pizza Topping recipe

Use a small delicate squash or any winter squash you like. Peel, deseed, and cut the squash into small cubes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss about 1 cup of the squash pieces with some minced onion, fresh sage, 2TBL. good olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet.

Roast squash 20 to 30 min. occasionally turning the pieces to brown, set aside. Saute more chopped onion, about 1/2 cup, and garlic 2 to 3 cloves chopped in 2TBL. olive oil along with some chopped peppers of your choice, I used Bahamian Goats. When soft and caramelized add about 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup grated parmesan or romano or both if you like, and some freshly ground black pepper, I used Wayrights delicious Baccatum infused black and whites. Add squash mixture to cheese mixture. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

[/URL

Take a piece of pizza dough out of the frig. Place it on a floured surface, let it warm up a bit. Shape and push dough to desired size. Smear the top of the dough with the squash-cheese mixture.

[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/djteagle/media/IMG_7766_zpsa3etjqvg.jpg.html]

Grate or slice some mozzarella on top

Bake on pizza stone 10 to 20 min. till browned and bubbly.

Add fresh arugula, spinach, kale, or greens of your choice.

Nice!

Please construct another post below this as your final entry with 5 of the best pics and all of the other needed info thanks.

Decided to go with something I have roots with and more importantly, would want to eat myself. Having a chili component I wanted a sweet component as well. Prosciutto, Fig, Gorgonzola and Balsamic met those requirements for me, so without further ado I present to you

Dinner: Prosciutto and Fig Rustico

Dough
  • 2 Cups Bread Flour
  • ¾ Cup Warm Water (110°F/43°C)
  • 2 T. Honey
  • 1 T. Olive Oil
  • 2 t. Kosher Salt
  • 1 t. Instant Yeast
  • Mix all ingredients in stand mixer or food processor.
  • Once combined, either run for 5 more min or kneed by hand for 10. Ideally you can stretch a small piece of dough between your fingers and create a light transparent window without tearing.
  • Oil a glass bowl and put dough (rolled into ball) in the bowl. Coat top of dough with oil (just so it doesnt dry) and cover with plastic wrap.
  • Put in fridge for 18 hours or up to 5 days.
  • Makes 2 medium sized pizzas.

Sauce
  • 4 lbs. Fresh San Marzano (or Roma) Tomatoes
  • 1 Large Yellow Onion
  • 4-5 Cloves Garlic
  • 3 T. Fish Sauce (yes Im serious, try it ;) )
  • 1 T. Chili Flake
  • 1 Bunch Fresh Basil
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • Bring large wide mouth pot with water to simmer on stove.
  • Wash and remove Stems from tomatoes. Cut a small X in bottom of tomatoes and set aside.
  • With slotted spoon cook tomatoes for 20-30 seconds in water then remove and set aside.
  • Peel the skin from all the tomatoes and place in bowl.
  • Crush the tomatoes by hand. I leave the seeds because they do not alter the flavor contrary to popular belief. Set the crushed tomatoes aside.
  • Chop onion very finely and sauté in pot with a little olive oil until translucent. Add chopped garlic and chili flake and cook 30 seconds more.
  • Add tomatoes and cook on low for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  • Add fish sauce, then cook 15 minutes more. Then add S+P to taste.
  • Ladle sauce into jars adding a few large basil leaves to each jar. Put on lid tightly and process per canning instructions.

Balsamic Chili Reduction
  • 2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • ½ Red Fatalii Chili (Deseeded)
  • 2 T. Honey
Add all ingredients in small sauce pan and cook on low until reduced and thickened (about 20 min)
Remove the chili and transfer liquid to another dish/cup to cool.

I think every great culinary creation deserves a great cocktail to help the palate accept and process the flavors it is receiving... that or I just really like drinking :) !

Cocktail
  • 1.5 oz. Vodka (7 Bottle Primo Vodka  :party: )
  • 3 oz. Grapefruit Soda (San Pellegrino)
  • 1/3 oz. Campari
Fill a lowball glass to the top with ice. Shake the vodka in ice, strain and pour into rocks filled glass. Give a light stir, then float Campari on top.

Pizza Time
  • Prosciutto di Parma
  • Fig
  • Gorgonzola
  • San Marzano Sauce
  • Parmigiano Reggiano
  • Roasted Garlic
  • Fatalli Balsamic Glaze
  • Chive
Preheat oven to as hot as it goes, in my case 550° F. After the oven is up to temp, preheat your stone (30 min) or pan (10 min) before adding your topped pizza.

Take your dough out and let it rise for 1-3 hours. After that stretch it out on a well floured surface. Add your toppings (preferably already brought to room temp!).

In my case this process was as follows
  • Oil crust with brush, LIGHTLY sauce the interior, roasted garlic, figs (skin side down), gorgonzola, parmesan regiano.
  • Put in oven and bake. Cooking times will vary (for me was 9 min) greatly depending on many things, your dough, toppings, etc so start with 7 min and check frequently after that, just try not to open the door if you can.
  • Pull pizza and add prosciutto, then drizzle with balsamic chili glaze.
Let cool and Enjoy!

Fish sauce interesting... the rest I can totally relate to on pizza... nice.

JohnsMyName said:
It makes the sauce. Completely unnoticeable, but adds such a complexity and umami. I come from Italian/Sicilian roots and would never bastardise a fresh San Marzano sauce, but it is so nice.

I just thought about Thai green papaya salad with fish sauce and now I totally get it with figs etc.

[SIZE=36pt]Radiccio Crockpot Pizza[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]For the dough, take 3.5 cups of 00 flour and mix with a cup of water that has a 1tbl of yeast and sugar after it has proofed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Mix till it is no longer sticky, cut in half and let sit for an hour.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Spray non-stick spray in the bottom and sides of a crock pot and spread out the dough to the sides making a nice rim on the sides.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Spread some spaghetti sauce in a thin layer on the top of the dough.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]In a pan, saute’ some radiccio (which I got from my garden) with some garlic and when it is soft spread across the top of the dough evenly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Place a layer of provolone cheese over the top, add the pepperoni, some diced black olives, and the three chili peppers diced (brazillian starfish, some baccattum that looks like a cherry [starts off white and turns red] and a third baccattum (see picture with pol).  Add some fresh basil leaves on top.

Cover crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours. Then remove top and let cook for another 20-30 min depending on how your cp works.

Get stuffed.[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back