• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Pizza Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know that was possible... cool.

grantmichaels said:
Interesting ...

Getting a nice melt in the SC ...

South Carolina? LOL. You guys need to stop this shorthand................

Oh slow cooker. I'm slow. ;)

Biscuit crust, sausage gravy and cheesey egg pizza - breakfast entry

71n5av.jpg

Total whim I made this morning because the kids were up at 5:30am.  And I'll make it again.  And again.  And again...   :)

For biscuit crust:  2 cups all purpose flour, 1 cup milk, 1/3 cup room temp butter, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper.  Add the salt, sugar and baking powder to the flour and stir well. Cut the butter into the flour until well mixed.  Add the milk and stir till the dough comes together.  Pat out on board and roll to 1" thick.  Divide dough into thirds and shape into amoebas.  Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes, until just starting to brown.  Remove from oven and set aside.

While biscuits are baking brown a pound of sausage with 2 tbsp minced onion, 1 diced fresno and 1 minced garlic clove.  When the sausage is done and the onions are translucent add 1 tbsp flour.  Stir well and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.  Add one cup of milk and 1 tsp of pepper powder.  Bring up to a simmer and stir often.  When the gravy reaches a boil turn down the heat to low and hold.

Remove the biscuits from the oven.  If any have risen too much you can whittle off a little of the top to create a better bowl shape.  Soft scramble three eggs with 1 tbsp water and 2 tbsp cream cheese.  Don't overcook the eggs; they still be a little bit wet before the pizza is assembled.

Coming together:

2gwgz0p.jpg

Assemble the pizza by spooning gravy onto the biscuit crust, top with the soft scrambled eggs and shredded cheese.  Bake at 350 for about 5-7 minutes.  :)

Ready to go back in the oven:

fc1pq9.jpg

Just out and on the plate with apples from our tree and a libation:

2i9gl8o.jpg

Oh man....

1607v5h.jpg

SmokenFire said:

I marveled at the novelty of drinking tequila at 8:46am, and was full till about 2pm when we made a big salad.  Seriously one of the best off the cuff improv bfasts I've ever made.   :)

Id have had to make 3 of those drinks finishing that food so the novelty would have worn off fast. :)

Decided to go with something I have roots with and more importantly, would want to eat myself. Having a chili component I wanted a sweet component as well. Prosciutto, Fig, Gorgonzola and Balsamic met those requirements for me, so without further ado I present to you

Dinner: Prosciutto and Fig Rustico

Dough
  • 2 Cups Bread Flour
  • ¾ Cup Warm Water (110°F/43°C)
  • 2 T. Honey
  • 1 T. Olive Oil
  • 2 t. Kosher Salt
  • 1 t. Instant Yeast
  • Mix all ingredients in stand mixer or food processor.
  • Once combined, either run for 5 more min or kneed by hand for 10. Ideally you can stretch a small piece of dough between your fingers and create a light transparent window without tearing.
  • Oil a glass bowl and put dough (rolled into ball) in the bowl. Coat top of dough with oil (just so it doesnt dry) and cover with plastic wrap.
  • Put in fridge for 18 hours or up to 5 days.
  • Makes 2 medium sized pizzas.

Sauce
  • 4 lbs. Fresh San Marzano (or Roma) Tomatoes
  • 1 Large Yellow Onion
  • 4-5 Cloves Garlic
  • 3 T. Fish Sauce (yes Im serious, try it ;) )
  • 1 T. Chili Flake
  • 1 Bunch Fresh Basil
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • Bring large wide mouth pot with water to simmer on stove.
  • Wash and remove Stems from tomatoes. Cut a small X in bottom of tomatoes and set aside.
  • With slotted spoon cook tomatoes for 20-30 seconds in water then remove and set aside.
  • Peel the skin from all the tomatoes and place in bowl.
  • Crush the tomatoes by hand. I leave the seeds because they do not alter the flavor contrary to popular belief. Set the crushed tomatoes aside.
  • Chop onion very finely and sauté in pot with a little olive oil until translucent. Add chopped garlic and chili flake and cook 30 seconds more.
  • Add tomatoes and cook on low for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  • Add fish sauce, then cook 15 minutes more. Then add S+P to taste.
  • Ladle sauce into jars adding a few large basil leaves to each jar. Put on lid tightly and process per canning instructions.

Balsamic Chili Reduction
  • 2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • ½ Red Fatalii Chili (Deseeded)
  • 2 T. Honey
Add all ingredients in small sauce pan and cook on low until reduced and thickened (about 20 min)
Remove the chili and transfer liquid to another dish/cup to cool.

I think every great culinary creation deserves a great cocktail to help the palate accept and process the flavors it is receiving... that or I just really like drinking :) !

Cocktail
  • 1.5 oz. Vodka (7 Bottle Primo Vodka  :party: )
  • 3 oz. Grapefruit Soda (San Pellegrino)
  • 1/3 oz. Campari
Fill a lowball glass to the top with ice. Shake the vodka in ice, strain and pour into rocks filled glass. Give a light stir, then float Campari on top.

Pizza Time
  • Prosciutto
  • Fig
  • Gorgonzola
  • San Marzano Sauce
  • Parmasan Regiano
  • Roasted Garlic
  • Fatalli Balsamic Glaze
  • Chive
Preheat oven to as hot as it goes, in my case 550° F. After the oven is up to temp, preheat your stone (30 min) or pan (10 min) before adding your topped pizza.

Take your dough out and let it rise for 1-3 hours. After that stretch it out on a well floured surface. Add your toppings (preferably already brought to room temp!).

In my case this process was as follows
  • Oil crust with brush, LIGHTLY sauce the interior, roasted garlic, figs (skin side down), gorgonzola, parmesan regiano.
  • Put in oven and bake. Cooking times will vary (for me was 9 min) greatly depending on many things, your dough, toppings, etc so start with 7 min and check frequently after that, just try not to open the door if you can.
  • Pull pizza and add prosciutto, then drizzle with balsamic chili glaze.
Let cool and Enjoy!

Nice touch w/ the beverage, along with a nice pie ...

Yeah.

Honestly I think what "sets that off" is the roasted garlic. I can see how all those awesome flavors play and adding that takes it to another level, so to speak. Much better than fresh here.

DEEP DISH TONGUE GRAPPLIN' HABBY SMOKED PIZZA

[SIZE=16pt]Mozzarella:[/SIZE]
Whole milk
Rennet
Citric acid
Water
Salt
First time making fresh mozzarella, it took a couple tries and a couple gallons of whole milk to get the desired consistency for the cheese. It kept firming up, I figured that it was the heating of the whey and cheese that made it frim up.  So I changed the way made it.  Bring milk to 80 degrees, add citric acid, bring to 90 degrees and take off heat. Add rennet, stir slowly to bring curds up.  Let sit for a few and then cut curds.  Cut into curds and put back on heat til 105 then strain saving some of the whey.  Form into ball and place back into whey with salt and heat to 145 degrees and spin around your spoon. Don’t overly play with it or will become stiff like cheddar cheese.

[SIZE=16pt]Sausage:[/SIZE]
Pork butt
Brown Sugar
Fennel
Garlic
MuskyMojo Smoked 7 pot Powder
Ground Anise
Seasoning
Trim the Butt, grind add seasoning and let sit for a day. Brown, drain and cool.

[SIZE=16pt]Pizza Dough[/SIZE]
Flour
Yeast
Salt
Sugar
Corn oil
Like most other pizza doughs just use corn oil as an alternative, and don’t knead to much, 2 mins max. let rise and then put in pan and form pocket in the middle for your ingredients.
[SIZE=16pt]BBQ Sauce,[/SIZE]
Ketchup
Molasses
Ginger
Garlic
Apple vinegar
Seasonings
Apple smoked fatalii water
Musky Mojo Bhut powder
Add ingredients, simmer and taste. Simple BBQ recipe.

[SIZE=16pt]The Pizza[/SIZE]
Ingredients used to construct:
Dough
BBQ Sauce
Sweet Spicy Italian Sausage
Red onions
Tomatoes
Fresh Mozzarella
Build your pizza, bake in the oven 20-30 mins, cut and serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back