contest BEGIN! salsalady's Stuffed Pepper Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teaser. PoL. 
There's so much more to this!! I can't wait!!

14970550599_4aa61afdd5_b.jpg

Dessert part. One word: experiment!

The stuff:
icXTPhAbg0ikH.jpg

10 homegrown cherry/tondo calaberese or whatevere they are peppers, butter, sugar, flour, dak chocolate.
Not in pic: 4 eggs, icing sugar (well, i didn't use icing sugar to tell the truth...), colla di pesce jelly, honey

The idea: deseed, fill with an awesome pie mix suitable for peppers, cover with sugar dough.

Deseed peppers:
iqE2HJZiihuvZ.jpg

Here with PoL:
ibnJ8SRB87it6Z.jpg

For the pie mix (copied and modded from here):
Ingredients:
  • 200g dark chocolate
  • 200g sugar
  • 200g butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons of wheat
  • 1 little teaspoon of salt
Prepare:
  • Melt chocolate in bain marie and add butter to melt it too.
THP!!! See the butter! :D
ibdQpoqvNS6tcU.jpg

• Separate yolks and albumen
  • Beat yolks in a separate bowl, add sugar and beat again
  • whip albumen with the little teaspoon of salt
  • add to butter-chocolate yolk-sugar cream, 2 tablespoons of wheat and in the end whipped albumen. You need to stir continuosuly.
Use that to fill the peppers:
iwvYQhOPcOFVq.jpg

The rest is good on its own for an awesome pie.
Cook in oven for 20-30 min at 180°C. That time 30 mins:
ibqB4GK7wNo9RW.jpg

And now the sugar dough... Meh. Just buy it and hope to be better than me (not hard here...).
So i found a recipe.
Ingredients:
450g icing sugar
70g honey
6g jelly (we call it colla di pesce)
30g water
16 butter.

What did i do? I used normal sugar and tried to blend it with meh results...
Anyway proceed like that:
  • Blend sugar to prevent lumps.
  • Melt honey in bain marie or micorwave (i just microwaved)
  • Melt jelly in 30g of water. Then heat in bain marie.
  • Add honey and butter.
  • Stir until is amalgamated, it must not boil.
  • Mix with sugar and blend.
  • Work that in a board until is ready, use a bit of sugar if it's needed...

Well, i had some problems in last part... Also i waited some hours to hope it become better... In some way i managed to have something like that:
ibpmGxCZ3lixBS.jpg

Then coat peppers with apricot jam and use the sugar dough....

Errr... Now the pics for my entry:
i8JopMi0CgJRy.jpg

ivQLLdxvlGJio.jpg

Not exactly what i had in my mind... It's not bad in taste though. I'll let that in fridge until tomorrow and i think it will be better.

Nice start!

You don't need coins in every pic. Just ONE.

ONE with all or the bulk of the ingredients used OR the plating pic.

:)

DaQatz said:
Do we need to do the dessert style pepper with the entree? Or could we post it later?

Separate posts, because voting will be separate.

The Hot Pepper said:
Bonus: If at least two people do dessert, there will be a separate poll for Dessert Stuffed (Hot) Pepper! Yes, you can do both.

Separate post for dessert entry.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry
PoL: .25
3 Pics MAX (Let's see the stuffed pepper(s) alone, and the completed meal)
3 pics MAX for dessert pepper
ENDS SUNDAY 10 PM EDT

Reworded for clarity. I took out the mix-n-match and just made them both 3. They need to be separate posts because of voting so mix-n-match pic numbers won't really work. :)

ALSO THE PEPPER THAT IS STUFFED MUST BE A HOT PEPPER AS NOTED IN ORIGINAL POST CLEARLY!

Damm STRRRATE!

All y'alls lookin guud!

I am afraid I don't have the attention for this one, we have been so friggen busy with work my ADD is chronic.

I mean, I'm not standing there flipping a light switch for 3 hours (yet) but I can't seem to hold a thought long enough to come up with an idea good enough to compete.

good enough to compete...

what were we talking about again?

heh I stuffed Hungarian wax peppers with a habanero veggie stuffing mixture. And as for the bell peppers... well coincidentally I chose to partially boil them in cider vinegar and water for a few minutes prior to their time in the oven. So very technically speaking, they were probably somewhat hot when I stuffed them.  :rofl:

Just make sure the plated pic is stuffed hot peppers not bells. The HOT pepper must have stuffing. As noted.

A quick OT, with remnants of pie and sugar dough:
i4pLQeQH3x0GQ.jpg

I cooked the pie but i wasn't the one that covered with sugar dough here!
That stuff belongs to the most dangerous food type. So good and heavy...

cypresshill1973 said:
My ingredients list.
Don Enzo? Cool! That recalls uncle Enzo from Snow Crash that is also related to pizza, lol!

Probably my last post before definitve entry for td.

ibr7SGQFCkI9fc.jpg

Here are fennel leaves and other hot peppers. Majority here are bought and are different, less round and more tip shaped, good for setting them on dough. Maybe a tad hotter but nothing very hot.

Anchovies and capers cured with salt:
ibyDgHod97WtY9.jpg

I removed heads, tails, fishbones, washed them with water then bathed in evo with washed capers:
iblQY8kE05RWM0.jpg

Deseeded, chopped fennel leaves, stuffed with all stuff:
ilgNnssl9GLA4.jpg

1 anchovy, 2 capers and some fennel leaves per pod.
That will overnight in fridge. I'll top with standard or buffalo mozz. I don't know if using breadcrumbs, but that makes little sense on pizza.

Only 1 pic with PoL in that[SIZE=13.63636302948px] post!:p[/SIZE]

my plating is already done, so I'll just say the bells are part of the meal then; if for purposes of this contest we are absolutely defining hot peppers-since they are in the photo. I forgot to add hot pepper ingredient to them anyway. they tasted good though.

Glad to see the often ignored humble cherry pepper getting some love. They may not have very much kick, but they are damn tasty.

ESS: Yes I do. That is a cheese factory that is close to my house. His owner (son of Don Enzo) is my neighbor. All cheeses are high quality But It is a remote possibility that it is the same Enzo

I have read the rules a couple times and I am pretty sure I know the answer but just for clarity.  Is it ok to just do a dessert entry?   I have an idea and some time tomorrow  but  I don't think I have time for a savoury one too. 

Ashen said:
I have read the rules a couple times and I am pretty sure I know the answer but just for clarity.  Is it ok to just do a dessert entry?   I have an idea and some time tomorrow  but  I don't think I have time for a savoury one too. 
I think how goes is any stuffed hot pepper dish will do. Dessert, or savory. But you can do both as separate entries if you wish

cypresshill1973 said:
ESS: Yes I do. That is a cheese factory that is close to my house. His owner (son of Don Enzo) is my neighbor. All cheeses are high quality But It is a remote possibility that it is the same Enzo
Nice! That small local producer are the best.
But Don Enzo is surely not uncle Enzo.:D

The Hot Pepper said:
salsalady's Stuffed Pepper Throwdown

This means, as long as you stuff a (hot) pepper, you are good to go! 
SO MANY cuisines have STUFFED PEPPERS! All you have to do is stuff a :hot: pepper, and be creative... for the WIN!

There aren't many rules in TDs but this was pretty simple... so I hate to play the bad guy, but it's not my fault if you can't enter due to not reading this. The HOT pepper has to be stuffed, that is the challenge. Anyone can stuff a bell, this is "The Hot Pepper" so it was like making poppers but more unique in that you had to make it original. As long as any hot pepper is stuffed with something, you can do whatever you want, even if that "stuffed" hot pepper is inside a non-hot. But the rules were very clear. :)

Cherry peppers stuffed with Pepperfriends chocolate pie!

I just stuffed (i suppose) cherry peppers with the same stuff for the Torta Al Cioccolato Pepperfriends wich is awesome, just minus pepper powder (well, i'm stuffing hot peppers, so...).
You need: cherry peppers (i used 10), butter, sugar, flour, dark chocolate, eggs, apricot jam, salt.
Then sugar dough or you make yours, then you'll need: icing sugar, colla di pesce jelly, honey, water, other butter

The idea: deseed, fill with an awesome pie mix suitable for peppers, cover with sugar dough.

For the pie mix:
  • 200g dark chocolate
  • 200g sugar
  • 200g butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons of wheat
  • 1 little teaspoon of salt
That is way more than enough to stuff 10 peppers. Use the rest to bake a standalone pie, you'll be happy.
Prepare:
  • Melt chocolate in bain marie and add butter to melt it too.
  • Separate yolks and albumen
  • Beat yolks in a separate bowl, add sugar and beat again
  • whip albumen with the little teaspoon of salt
  • add to butter-chocolate yolk-sugar cream, 2 tablespoons of wheat and in the end whipped albumen. You need to stir continuosuly.
Use that to fill the peppers.

Cook in oven for 20-30 min at 180°C. That time 30 mins.

And now the sugar dough, i found a recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 450g icing sugar
  • 70g honey
  • 6g jelly (i used the one called colla di pesce)
  • 30g water
  • 16 butter.
I used normal sugar and tried to blend it with meh results...
Anyway proceed like that:
  • Blend sugar to prevent lumps.
  • Melt honey in bain marie or micorwave (i just microwaved)
  • Melt jelly in 30g of water. Then heat in bain marie.
  • Add honey and butter.
  • Stir until is amalgamated, it must not boil.
  • Mix with sugar and blend.
  • Work that in a board until is ready, use a bit of sugar if it's needed...
Well, i had some problems in last part... Also i waited some hours to hope it become better... In some ways i managed to flatten that dough, used a cup to make rounds of that dough.
Then coat peppers with apricot jam (needed to attach sugar dough in theory) and use the sugar dough....

Final stuff:
i8JopMi0CgJRy.jpg

ivQLLdxvlGJio.jpg

Some hours of fridge won't hurt for sure.

Oh wow, that looks tasty as hell. Nice dessert!

I am officially out, my dish from yesterday was completely eaten today while I was out and will not make its way into the goats. :( Good luck all! 

Scratch that....there may be hope yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back