• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Seafood Soup & Sandwich Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manhattan Clam Chowder; Garlic Clam Sandwich with cheese, Aioli, and Mango Salsa

[SIZE=medium]              This chowder is the polar opposite of New England Clam Chowder, and also goes by the name Rhode Island Red Chowder. Unlike its New England counterpart, the Manhattan/Rhode Island Version is tomato-based. Also featured is a grilled cheese sandwich, to complement the chowder. The sandwich is a variant take of clam pizza.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]garlic cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]garlic powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]onions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]red onions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]celery[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]red pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]yellow pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]yellow potatoes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] stewed tomatoes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]clam juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]bay leaves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]saffron[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]oregano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]basil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]red pepper flakes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]canned clams[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Worcestershire sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sourdough bread[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]mayonnaise [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh chives[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]lemon juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]lime juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]mango[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cucumber[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]jalapeno[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh cilantro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]rice vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]thyme [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]parsley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Clam Pre-soak:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Open cans of clams and drain liquid. Using a plate and some paper towels, dry off clams. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           In a mixing bowl, add clams and enough cold water to completely cover.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Add a reasonable amount of black pepper. Stir well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Soak clams for 30 minutes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make clam chowder:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Prepare fresh ingredients as required (3 cloves garlic, 1 onion, 2 ribs celery, 1 red pepper, 4 yellow potatoes [small cubes.])[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Add all fresh ingredients except potatoes to large sauce pan, along with three tablespoons olive oil. Sautee on medium for 8 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Add potato cubes, 1 can 28oz stewed tomatoes, 1 bottle clam juice, 1/2 cup water, 2 pinches saffron, 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and some cayenne pepper.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium, and simmer until potatoes are tender-about 35-50 minutes. Times may vary. If liquid evaporates from extra cooking time, add some water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Remove about 2/3 of the clams from the black pepper water soak, and dry off on paper towels. Chop up the clams a bit with a knife. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Add clams to saucepan containing chowder, along with 5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce-and salt and pepper to taste.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Continue cooking on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves prior to serving.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Aioli Sauce:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0.           Juice some lemons.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.           Chop up some chives.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           To one half cup mayonnaise add 1 teaspoon garlic, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon or so chopped chives, and a bit of salt and pepper.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Mix well and refrigerate until needed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Mango Salsa:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Peel and cube a mango. Peel and chop a cucumber. Chop up some jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro leaves. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Juice some limes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           To a bowl, add the mango, 1/2 cup cucumber (approx.), 1 jalapeno, 1/3 cup red onion (approx.), and some cilantro leaves. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Add fresh ingredients to a blender, along with 1 tablespoon lime juice, and some salt and blender.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Blend slight until desired consistency is reached.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Refrigerate until needed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pre-toast the bread:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           In a pan, toast some sourdough bread on both sides with butter. Set aside until needed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 C).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Garlic Clams:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Peel and slice 4 garlic cloves into thin French fry-like strips. Place pieces in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat and drain garlic. Return to saucepan, cover with more cold water and reheat to boiling. Drain garlic and set aside. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           In a small skillet, heat some oil. Fry the garlic slices for a minute, taking care not to overcook. Reserve oil for cooking clams.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Add about 2/3rds of the garlic to a blender and blend into small pieces. Use a flat heavy object to further mash up garlic pieces. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           In a small bowl, add 4 tablespoons softened butter, some parsley, and the mashed garlic. Add also the remaining 1/3 of the garlic strips reserved from before. Chill garlic butter until ready to use.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Remove from water black pepper water the remaining clams, and dry on paper towels.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon garlic oil, 1 cup rice vinegar (this make take some adjusting) and some thyme.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Add the clams, and cook on high for 2 minutes, covering skillet with a lid.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.           Remove clams from pan, and continue to cook liquid for 5 minutes, monitoring the level of liquid. When reduced, whisk in softened garlic butter you made earlier. Cook until liquid is thickened slightly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]9.           Add clams to the sauce, and season with a bit of lemon juice, salt, and pepper.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To cook yellow pepper:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Deseed and slice a yellow pepper very thinly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Sautee in skillet until peppers begin to brown. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To assemble sandwich:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray extra area as required with cooking spray.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Place sourdough bread slices that you toasted earlier on foil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Top 1 slice of bread with Aioli spread, and the other half with mango salsa.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           On the half with Aioli spread, add a layer of the garlic clams-drizzling with some of the sauce.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           On this same half, layer some of the yellow peppers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           On this same half, layer some NY Buffalo Cheddar cheese.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Repeat 3-7 for as many sandwiches as you want to make.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.           Broil sandwich in oven for 3-4 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]9.           Remove from oven. Dollop some of the Aioli sauce and Mango salsa on top of the bread as desired, or place on plate. Manhattan Clam Chowder may be used as an additional dip.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]10.         Enjoy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

when's the deadline for TD entry?

i've got some smoked turkey and freshly baked bread (and plenty of cans of sclafani) from yesterday:

http://thehotpepper.com/index.php?/topic/51319-%3D%5B-grill-grantmichaels%2C-grill-%5D%3D/page__view__findpost__p__1076423

but i have to do a bunch of work before i can even think about goofing off any more ...

could be a late entry, though ... it's gloomy, and a griddler'd turkey and cheese and mater soup sounds poifect.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415547285.316448.jpg

GM must have one of those southern style turkeys that swims.  :lol:

Key~ Very nice entry!  Love the broiled Sammy.

:WOOHOO:  Paulky In Da House!

salsalady said:
GM must have one of those southern style turkeys that swims.  :lol:

Key~ Very nice entry!  Love the broiled Sammy.

Haha ... I was originally planning to do lobster bisque, and then someone mentioned they were going to do it - BigB, I think - and I forgot that it was a Seafood soup, not just a soup ... LOL.

I think I have some frozen cooked shrimp ... I think I have a can of New England Clam Chowder ... and I still have that Scrapple in my freezer, haven't worked up the courage yet (still) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back