• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Soup n Sammie Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
14523153_1340999919267064_7166270715521104567_n.jpg

20161010_150455.jpg

Brought the soup back to life.  After chilling for the night, I removed the fat layer at the top of the container, which is a must unless you want an oily soup.  It's still missing some of the crucial parts, well, nearly everything, had to give it a try.  Probably was not a good idea to add five drops of Pure Evil to that little amount.  I always make this with some heat, but so that others can eat it.  I can always crank mine up.

I had my next to last (hopefully) physical therapy appointment at lunch time, and I have to meet with my company's dr. at 4:30 so putting the meal together in the window had me a little concerned.  I am going to sacrifice lighting for taking my time and making sure it is perfect.  

More to come in a couple hours.

Nice J.

G, reducing pepper pot to that sticky point, that must have concentrated all the flavors, the yuca syrup, and beef base... wondering how it came out.. really sweet/intense beef flavor, or still retained the stew flavor when you were tasting it and cooking?

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice J.

G, reducing pepper pot to that sticky point, that must have concentrated all the flavors, the yuca syrup, and beef base... wondering how it came out.. really sweet/intense beef flavor, or still retained the stew flavor when you were tasting it and cooking?

Planning to full explain that in the final post ;)

That's a dish that people leave on their stove for days on end, around holidays - usually Christmas ...

The casareep is reportedly able to keep it safe from spoilage on the stove, even just sitting at room-temp (ewww) :shocked: ...

They literally let it cool, and then re-heat it ... over and over ... I was like, WTF?!???! ...

It's largely described as improving each and every day - and becoming more concentrated as you mention ...

On YT, I found an article where a chef brought this to a restaurant in Washington, and mentioned that you should start with water/stock that just covers the ingredients, and aim to reduce it down by 3/4 ...

It then showed it dark, and mostly quite dry in the plating pics ...

In my own experience, I found out why ... when you kill the heat, it 'rests' and soaks in the remaining liquid ...

It was a nice smell in the house, reminiscent of the sweet aromatics of barbecue ...

As for the flavor, it had a really nice citrus/orange vibe, like a good, hot instance of orange beef from a quality Chinese joint ... that's really the best description.
The pikliz cut through the somewhat decadent meat and really made a nice 'balance,' and the 'smoke qualities' from the (smoked) gruyere really tied the room together on mimicking what I was after in my original plans to cook it outside in a Dutch oven, over fire ...

It was unnecessarily ceremonious to an extent, and I could easily recreate it in half the time (and half the f**king pictures) on a re-cook.

But it was really good ... in the same way I iimagine a pot of P. Dreadie's Trinidad stew would be ...

I hope I captured it well, I was a little bit distracted towards the end by the debate =( ...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Well guess my TD is over, go to pickup my youngest and wife was watching a friends kid today...she gives away over 1/2 my soup to friends mom and maybe not even a full bowl left FTW. 

Well that wasn't very nice. 

grantmichaels said:
I need to go through this thread to find TGCM's soup from yesterday, or maybe it's still coming and I didn't miss it while cooking ...

Also kind of dying to see JayT's soup ...

And, D3's Philly is sure to be over-the-top ... so I'm looking forward to that also.

I have to type up my entry tonight, so my final post will likely 'just make it' before the deadline, as per my usual. :rofl:
I haven't posted mine yet. I have a little shindig going on tonight planned to eat everything. I just prepped up some dough, so once risen in an hour or so, it will hit the oven, and be filled with all kinds of deliciousness.

OQSL9Bu.jpg

Enjoying the founders porter. Had to resist urge to dump some in the soup. Red wine gave it a perfect flavor. Best i've had. Can't wait to taste the finished product now that it has cream in it. 

Rolls finished 8 minutes early. I think if I let them finish they would of been too hard. Forgot the cheddar. I think i'll leave it off. 

Red jalapenos on the inside of dough, green jalapenos on the outside. Looks tasty and smells heavenly. 

zlViwAo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back