• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Specialty Hot Sauce Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hot Pepper said:
Okay SL we saw those pics yesterday :lol:
Not ALL of them!!! 

still haven't figured out how to Bring it on Home......

maybe I'm DPing   DOUBLE Posting!   :rofl:

Scovie, you are truly nuts, nuts, nuts, and cilantro!

can't wait to see your final Mole-esque?  ????what have you got cooking???!?!?!??

Squirrely Steak Sauce 

In honor of Mama Squirrel who safely got her children home. See the adventure here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/41013-the-journey-home/#entry864238

Ingredients:
1T fresh Rosemary
1Tfresh Thyme
3/4 Cup chopped Sweet Onion]
4 Douglahs
3 Cloves Garlic
3t Red Lumpfish Cavier
1/3 Cup Chopped Carrots
1/2 Cup diced tomato
1/2 t Salt
1/4 t White Truffle Oil

Procedures:

Add all ingredients to a Stainless Steel Pot except the Truffle Oil and bring to a boil for 10 minutes then reduce to a Simmer for 45 minutes.

Pour into a blender and puree.

Pour back into the pot through a fine Sieve and press through with a spatula.

Add the Truffle Oia and bring back to a simmer for another 30 minutes then heat to at least 190 dF and bottle. If sauce drops below 180 dF reheat to 190. Add reducer and cap then flip the bottles and pop the sauce down to the cap. Leave inverted for a minimum of 15 minutes.

Fresh Herb marinated Skirt Steak

Place Skirt Steak into a Gallon Size Zip Lock Bag. Add 5 sprigs of Fresh Rosemary, 10 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme, chopped up to the bag and cover with Olive Oil. Marinate at least 3 hours and grill.

Sonoma Valley Broccoli

3 heads of Fresh Broccoli Florets
1 Jar of Fire Roasted Peppers
1/2 Jar of Sliced Kalamata Olives
2 Cloves Garlic, thin sliced
1 Lemon
Feta Cheese

Trim and clean Broccoli florets then saute in Olive Oil and Garlic for a few minutes. Drain and slice the Fire Roasted Peppers and add to pan. Add Kalamata Olives and juice of the Lemon. Cover and cook till Crisp Tender. Add Feta Cheese and serve.

Butter New Potatoes

1 Bag New Potatoes
2T Butter

Boil new potatoes till done. Cut in half and add butter. Season with Salt and Pepper, serve.

D30D53AA-C21B-4EA2-A651-301520BDA06D-667-000000F4D8B53AAE_zps61ea1d74.jpg

1865CC47-7598-4B8D-9476-414FD0609BE6-667-000000F520153425_zps32873ea1.jpg

The sauce was fantastic on the steak. The Skirt Steak was marinated for 24 hours in fresh herbs and Olive Oil and was as tender as could be. The Broccoli which has fire roasted peppers, Kalamata Olives and Feta was the perfect match to this dish. Plus anytime I get to cook with my mom is priceless.

It's great to get to do a TD where the Sauce is the Star, thanks for this idea Boss!!

Darthpepper said:
Don't include me in this. I want nothing to do with your shenanigans.
Oh yea  :rolleyes:  like you're never involved in shenanigans!!!  Nice Try, DP!!!!  :lol:
Just kidding you Darth.  Besides, DP was used as a verb, not a noun.  ;)

RM- great sounding sauce and that squirrel story is priceless.  When did you add the truffle oil?

The Hot Pepper said:
Presentation pic 1 is the finished hot sauce either bottled or in the pot, in a bowl, etc.
Presentation pic 2 is the dish you cooked (or prepared) for the hot sauce, with the hot sauce.
Ingredients and cooking methods of dish required.

RM, this would really help your entry. It's all about the sauce here, good presentation pic but the closeup of the steak on the fork is not doing anything for it. Not the greatest pic either looks like bacon. Let's see that sauce.

Much better!

The steak on the plate looks perfectly cooked, and the sauce sets it off.

Vanilla White Chocolate Cheesecake with Mango Mojo Sauce

Crust:
7 Graham Crackers
2 packages of almonds 2 oz packages
3 quarters stick of butter melted

Process Crackers and Almonds if food processor till ground up fine,
slowly add butter till it's gone.

Press crust in bottom of non stick sprayed springform pan and place in fridge to chill

Filling:
4 8oz packages of cream cheese ( left on counter till very soft)
1/2 cup cane sugar plus 2 tbl 
1 tbl all purpose flour
1 vanilla bean ( cut open with knife and scrape out inside)
4 eggs plus 2 egg yolks lightly beaten
8 ounces of white chocolate melted

Combine cream cheese, flour sugar, vanilla in large bowl and mix well with hand mixer.
 Add eggs and mix well.  Last fold in your white chocolate.  Pan spray the sides of springform pan and pour batter into pan with crust.
Bake in a water bath, fill the water more than halfway up the side of springform pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 65 mins.  I left it in until a tooth pick came out clear from the center of the cake.  let cool overnight in fridge.

Mango Mojo sauce:
2 organic ripe mangos
1 small package organic raspberries
half a yellow 7 pot pepper
1/2 cup lemonade
1 tbl lemon juice
pinch of salt
1 tbl organic coconut sugar

Combine ingredients in blender and blend till very smooth.
Heat on stove and reduce to a thick consistency.  Let cool in fridge and serve over top your cheesecake.

The sauce goes really well with this.  Tart from the raspberries and lemonade, sweet from the mangos and sugar.  And a kick of yellow 7 at the end.  Wife loved it and hope my dinner company does tonight as well.  Sauce is great for people you won't really like hot peppers.  You get the flavor of the pepper at the end with little burn.

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

Nice!

Got a picture of just the sauce you can pop in there? Although that pic works well by itself.

Savory Spicy Seafood Sauce

A light cream & white wine herb sauce which pairs perfectly with many seafood dishes.

Meal Ideas-
Steamed veggies, seared scallops, and SSSS with pasta
SSSS and crab or shrimp with pasta
a thick chunk of halibut, cod or other white fish (baked, broiled, grilled) on rice with SSSS
Use SSSS instead of tarter sauce with fish & chips
Use SSSS on shrimp or fish Po' Boys

Keep some Savory Spicy Seafood Sauce on hand for quick meal solution.

IMG_1099.JPG

post-2879-0-44491400-1375500800_thumb.jpg

Savory Spicy Seafood Sauce Recipe-
1/2c butter
1c shallots minced
1/2c garlic crushed
4c chicken broth
4c cream
1/4c white wine
1/4c lemon juice
2T capers crushed with a fork
2t thyme
2t oregano
2t xanthan
1tsp red chile flakes (I used a blend of bhut, peter, chile de arbol and 7 Pot)

Sauté shallots in butter over medium until translucent, add garlic and sauté until garlic is soft.  Do not burn.  Add in the rest of the ingredients, bring up to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.  Jar and process or refrigerate.    

jedi- for voting, there will be a link to ONE post, you should have both pics in your one final post. don't trust that folks will scroll up or look at the prep pics.  You final post needs to have the 2 pics, recipe, descriptions etc. 

Dessert prep pics-

homemade crust and fruits-
IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

don't want to waste the trimmings!  Brush with soft butter, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon....crusty treats~ (baked peach pie to the side)
IMG_1122.JPG

For the Caramel Sauce, I'd been planning for days to use a yellow chile blend (ahi chinchi, fatalii, etc) but on the way home yesterday it hit me.   :doh:  I have the perfect item for the caramel sauce...Pure Evil.   

Ingredients-
brown sugar
butter
cream
pinch of salt
vanilla
(No spicy stuff yet)

To make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a sauce pan.  Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes until all the sugar is dissolved.

At this point, I knew the boys wouldn't want some spicy sauce and I wanted to try both the dry chile blend and the Pure Evil.  So, in one jar I put 2 drops Pure Evil, in the 2nd jar I put 1/4 tsp yellow chile blend, and the 3rd jar was left plain. 
IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

edit- need a bump please~  (working on getting rid of the thumbnails)

Attachments

• IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back