• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Stop SmokenFire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
avuTWnv.gif

Shrimp/Buffalo Tacos :)

1/2lb Buffalo ground lean meat
1/2lb Shrimp
2 cups Corn flour for Tortillas
1 Bell pepper
1/4 bulb garlic
1 cup measure Brown Basmati Rice
Mayo home made from last TD

Red/Pumpkin dried Habanero mix
Chipotle
Oregano
Seasoning Mix

-Precook Shrimp ad add dried Red Pepper and Tomato powder and marinate. (prepare day before).

-Mix "Tortilla" flour and set aside for a few hours.

-Cook up rice and fry meat with garlic, 1/2 Bell pepper in the mean time. Once Rice done, add to pan and refry.

-Mix shrimp with Habanero mix, Oregano, Seasoning mix, Mayo and otyher half of Bell Pepper.

-Fry up "Soft Taco shells"

-Season meat fry with Chipotle, Oregan and seasoning mix, insert to Taco, finish off with Sriratcha sauce.
-Add Shrimp mix to Taco.

Finish off overall with grated Gruyere cheese.

(I didnt have change so I drew a 5cent so hope thats ok)
P1110370_TocoTD-1500_zpsrutdzcft.jpg

P1110372_Tortilla-1000_zpsxfazeszw.jpg

P1110376_BuffaloFry-1000_zpsv7jco6ln.jpg

P1110374_ShrimpToco-1000_zpsyx2hxlbb.jpg

P1110375_Tortilla-1000_zpscz4it66u.jpg

#############################################################################################################################

P1110377_TacoTDfinal-1500_zpsrftn2evu.jpg

received

Now I have 2 entries not sure who else is out there.

SnFire Extinguisher 

I'm going to do my best to stop SnF from numero 10 here.  I love tacos and I wanted to try some recipes that I haven't done yet.  These were a lot of work, but they were well worth it in the end.

Tacos Al Pastor

2 lbs of pork shoulder (I used what we call in the St. Louis area, pork steaks)
4 pasilla chiles
2 ancho chiles
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp ground cumin seed
1 tbs achiote powder
1 chipotle pepper and 2 tsp of the sauce from the can
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
3 whole cloves of garlic
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp brown sugar
1 stick of cinnamon
1/2 lb of bacon
1 pineapple
corn tortillas

put the chiles in a saucepan and heat them on med high until they puff up and have some brown spots on them.  Cut the stems off and empty the seeds out.  Add the chicken stock stir around a bit then put in your blender.  Now add the vegetable oil, cumin, oregano, and achiote powder and stir for a minute.  Then add the chipotle chile and sauce and stir again.  Lastly add vinegar salt and sugar, stir and put in the blender.  Add the cinnamon stick then blend it up.  

Trim the pork steaks up into strips and place them in a container with the marinade and put it in the fridge over night.  Fire up the grill and start to prepare your pork.  Take a disposable bread pan and layer a few strips of bacon (that you coat with marinade) in the bottom of the pan.  Then layer the pork strips in the pan near the top and cover with another layer of bacon.  Take 2 slices of pineapple and put them on top.  I put the pans in the grill around 300F until the internal temp was around 195F.  

After the temperature is reached pull them off of the grill and pour all of the juice into a separate bowl, then put the tin in the fridge.  A few hours later take the tin out and slice the meat in 1/4"-1/2" slices.

Before you slice them up though take about a 1/4 cup of the juice from the drippings in the tins and put it in a skillet on Med high.  Then take the slices and crisp them up in the juices.  Pull from the pan and then mince up and place in your tacos.

I almost forgot to talk about the pineapple.  Chop some of the remaining pineapple in about 3/8" or bigger chunks and baste it with the juice from the meat.  I broiled them at about 450F and added more juice to glaze them a few times.  It took about 20mins.

Carne Asada Tacos

skirt steak
3 ancho chiles
3 guajillo chiles
2 chipotle peppers
3/4 cup fresh orange juice (3 oranges)
2 tbs fresh lime juice (2 limes)
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs fish sauce
6 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of cilantro
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs coriander 
2 tbs brown sugar
kosher salt

start by heating up the dried peppers and destemming and seeding them.  Put them into your blender with the juices, olive oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro, cumin, coriander, and brown sugar.  Blen it up and season with salt to taste.  Place the marinade with the steak in a container and put in the fridge over night.  

To grill this meat you want to put it directly over the coals so you get some good char on it.  Flip it over to get both sides charred and cook it until about 115F internal.  Let it rest while you prepare everything else for you meal (like browing your tortillas) and then make sure to cut the steak against the grain so you get bites you can chew right through.  

Mexican Rice  
1 cup of long grain rice
1 tsp garlic salt
3 tbs of the drippings from the pork
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth

Heat up the drippings in a saucepan on med heat.  Add the rice and stir it occasionally until its golden in color.  Then add the onion and cook until its translucent.  Sprinkle the salt and cumin in and stir.  Then add the tomato sauce and chicken broth bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 mins.  

Black Bean
1lb black beans
3 tbs drippings from pork
1 med onion
5 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
kosher salt

Soak the beans in water overnight.  About 2 hours before you plan to eat heat up the drippings in a pot over med heat.  Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the oregano and beans to the pot and enough water to cover the beans by a 1/2".  Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce the heat to med low cover and stir occasionally.  Once the beans are tender, add a few tbs of salt and uncover the pot.  Keep stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is absorbed.  Season with more salt and cumin to taste.  Top with a little queso cheese and cilantro and serve.

Hopefully, I brought enough fire power to take down SnF.  These tacos were so freaking good.  I will definitely be making these again soon.  I just probably won't do them all on the same weekend again lol.  I've had authentic al pastor tacos before and these were very close.  I saw a few other options to cook them traditionally on a spit and surrounding it with charcoal but it just didn't seem like I would be able to get very good results doing it.  I was very happy with the texture of these.  Frying them up at the end really helped get that little bit of crispyness on them.  

grantmichaels said:
Best write-up, ever.

Kept my attention longer than anyone has, by a good bit ...

I found a lot to agree with in terms of flavor choices, and while pics were a touch unclear, the text-mode effort filled in nicely ...

Someone give this guy a cooking show.

NAILED THE WRITE UP!!!!!!!

Three cheers for spicefreak :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Something something tacos something. 
 ​
yiICEPt.jpg

Guajillo marinade for skirt steak

• 4 guajillo chilis toasted and rehydrated
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2T olive oil
  • 1T rice vinegar
  • 2T soy sauce
  • 1tsp kosher salt
  • 1T brown sugar
  • 1/4 red onion
Spanish Rice

• half a onion diced
  • diced pepper
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1.5 cups rice
  • 1 cup favorite salsa
  • 1/2 cup diced tbone steak
add vegetable oil to pan, heat and add onions and peppers. saute until soft.
Add rice, stir frequently for a minute or two. 
Add chicken broth and salsa, cover and light simmer for 20 minutes. 

3lFNdkE.jpg

Marinade steak in guajillo sauce and cook on charcoal grill

ACkWmoi.jpg

XetdXjr.jpg

Serve with pico , stuffed pablano and guacamole on homemade tortillas

5rrdICT.jpg

bKrYgKP.jpg

Two Tacos, Frijoles Charros, Green Chile Rice

2qlwyns.jpg

Tacos are a mainstay around our house.  They're quick, easy and tasty.  For this TD I wanted to riff on the classic picadillo taco that I grew up with and then change it up a bit by adding another taco of cooks choice.  I went with fried cod.  :)

2pyylgg.jpg

To make the picadillo:  Take a 1.25 lb package of ground bison and crumble it into a pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 small onion, diced over medium heat.  Add 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp epazote, and 1 tsp guajillo chile powder for kick.  Throw in 3 cloves of minced garlic and a couple dried chile pulla pods for good measure.  Cook down until no longer pink and then remove from heat and set aside.

To make the fish:  Take a pound of fresh fish and cut into 1 inch chunks.  Rinse well under ice cold water and then drop the pieces of fish into a breading made with 1/2 cup corn meal, 1/2 cup flour and a spice rub consisting of 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp chipotle powder.  Toss to coat and fry in 350 degree oil until just cooked through, about 3 minutes.  Remove fish and drain on a rack, sprinkle with a bit more spice if needed.

2wrnhfn.jpg

To make the frijole charros:  soak one cup of black beans in lightly salted water overnight.  Drain and reserve.  Start sweating 1/2 an onion, diced in 2 tbsp bacon drippings in a saucepan with lid over medium heat.  Add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp epazote, 2 cloves of garlic, minced and 4 oz of cooked chopped bacon along with a can of tomatoes.  Once that's simmering nicely, add the beans and cover.  Turn the heat to low and continue cooking, covered until beans are tender, about 30-45 minutes.

25ryuzk.jpg

For the green chile rice:  grill off a couple pablanos and jalapenos till nicely roasted.  When the skins are blistered and the peppers are soft wrap them in a towel and set aside for ten minutes to steam.  Remove the skins from the peppers and chop them.  Portion out 1 cup of peppers and add them to 1.5 cups of water in a small pan set over medium high heat.  When it comes just to a boil add 1 cup of rice.  Turn heat to low and cook, covered for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.

fdaj9w.jpg

Plate one of each taco, add some of the green chile rice and frijoles charros.  Garnish with your choice of accoutrements.  For the picadillo I added some onions and jalapenos pickled in lime juice and salt.  For the fish tacos I used a quick slaw made with thinly sliced cabbage, onion and some of the leftover roasted jalas and poblanos.  Both tacos were finished with a chunky guac made with 1 cup diced avocado, 1 tbsp minced onion/garlic/cilantro and dressed with the juice of 1 lime and a bit of salt.

bej9yf.jpg

and

dnzplj.jpg

Fish taco bite:

2db1fyv.jpg

Picadillo taco bite:

30s8xfp.jpg

Dude

2v3frcx.jpg

Thank you.  :)

PM me if I'm wrong D3monic but you are missing a ground meat taco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back