beer Being Crafty

Picked these up yesterday. A most excellent "Maine IPA".  The glass was their BA wild Saison called White Cap also most excellent
piph.jpg

Cheers

This is released right after my birthday, end of July ...

These were the last ...

Holding onto big beers has been an abject failure the past two years ...

Lost like two dozen Bourbon County's last year, the Founders Imperial gets a little funky - but not terrible or anything, and now these CCB's are shit ...

I'm loading up all my bottles over the next week or two, killing them off and taking the shelf space back ...

I really prefer fresh beer, anyways ...

grantmichaels said:

These were the last ...

Lost like two dozen Bourbon County's last year, the Founders Imperial gets a little funky - but not terrible or anything, and now these CCB's are shit ...

I'm loading up all my bottles over the next week or two, killing them off and taking the shelf space back ...

:cheers:

grantmichaels said:

These were the last ...

Probably doesn't help that your room temp down there is a fair amount higher than ideal.

It's happened to one's that have been in the 37F keezer the whole time too, though ...

My nature is to blame myself - "it must be something I'm doing" - but the BC scenario is too strong of proof otherwise ...

It's the exposure to heat in the distro chain ahead of purchase down here in Florida, that accelerates the 'staling' reactions that are playing out while I'm holding them ...

I've checked the temp of them, where they are, and it's like 71-72F around the clock ...

Sad to learn while researching that Greg Noonan passed a while back ...

Ordered a used copy of his oldest book from Amazon just to get a glimpse into the mind (in terms of brewing water) of what can only be termed The Oracle behind all the topmost NEIPA producing minds ...

All the folks standing in line aren't waiting for "special beers" ... they are waiting for fresh beer, which is why they are buying each and every one that get released, even though some are clearly better than others - or are subjectively appreciated more, however you like to put it ...

The commonality isn't stylistic, it's the freshness.

grantmichaels said:
All the folks standing in line aren't waiting for "special beers" ... they are waiting for fresh beer, which is why they are buying each and every one that get released, even though some are clearly better than others - or are subjectively appreciated more, however you like to put it ...

The commonality isn't stylistic, it's the freshness.

Yes, those types of fresh I agree but even some of those are better when sitting like KBS and BBC

I like all the IPAs and what not very fresh when possible

Until I drink a beer I sat on that improved, surely, I'm sticking to my conviction that it's total BS ...

Brewer's and barrel-manager's and taster's are sampling and sampling and when they decide the beer is ready to bottle, it's fucking ready to drink, and I specifically DO NOT buy that they gamble on "I think this will be perfect a few months after I bottle it" ...

I think that's Sales Copy and Ad/Marketing Darkness designed to sell beer ...

Not only do I think it, though ... I've heard the conversations on The Session where the sales people and brewers are "on air" together and the struggle is real ...

I think it's bullshit ...

PS - DFH 120 might be a singular notable exception that comes to mind, but I can think of no other beer that improves over time, in a bottle ...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Very few beers do I sit on but the ones that I do reward me in the end. 

DFH 120 and WWS are both worthy of letting sit a few years.
The only brews I truly cellar are HB meads, braggots, saisons, tripels, and quads.

Since I usually use cocoa, coffee, vanilla, and other spices in my stouts, I usually drink them before the 8 month mark rolls around.

Back